Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT GSM Frequency and other stuff questions

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kargiver, Oct 17, 2003.

1. kargiver

kargiver Member

Hi All,

The wife is looking to update her phone from the Seimens s46 to a newer GSM phone. If memory serves correctly, the s46 only uses 1900mhz for its GSM frequency. Does ATT have a lower GSM frequency in the states? Signal penatration is an issue where we live and she would like a phone that locks on to a better strength of signal. I am thinking about the nokia 6800... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There are area's starting to use the 800 Mhz but till everything is being built out with AT&T they are mainly using 1900 Mhz. Plus not all area's do they have a license to use the 800 band. From what i have seen on the forums the 6800 and 6200 seem to be very good phones in the Rf dept. and usage. I am using the T62u for now till the system is built up and every now and then the phone will switch to the TDMA network but it's not as often now and when i got it 3 months ago. I hope this helps you and I am sure people with the Nokia's will let you know which is the best one to get.

3. GCarnage

GCarnage New Member

When you log into this site use the zip code feature and check if your area has ATT with a 800 freqency.

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I like the 6200 a lot, but I have tried two with AT&T and one with Cingular. All three have had a lot of back ground hiss, it is so very annoying. I have heard good thing about the 6800, but it is too expensive for me. I will be picking up a Siemens s56 next week it has much better sound quality than the 6200. [​IMG]

5. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    kargiver, the nearest ATT Wireless markets with 800 MHz licenses are Litchfield County (nw corner of), CT and Suffolk County, LI of the NYC market (use ferry).

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kargiver

kargiver Member

Thanks for the info. We may have to go with Cingular.

Greg

7. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T is not building out any 850 GSM markets in the USA.

In those markets where AT&T provides 850 TDMA service, they have acquired licenses in the 1900 mhz spectrum for GSM.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    They are beginning to overlay some of those markets to GSM, like NYC, LA, SF are just a few, they are phasing out TDMA so they will overlay all market to TDMA/GSM where they have 850Mhz and advertise push GSM and slowly take away spectrum from TDMA. Eventually a few years from now it will be GSM only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Where did you get that from? Its wrong...

ATT will soft launch 850GSM in areas where they hold 850 liscenses. Unlike Cingular, ATT will first deploy PCS networks because they have the liscenses to do so, and started this before 850 was viable.

10. pang

pang Member

Check out the SE T62u phone, it works on ATT's GSM 850, 1900 and TDMA 800, 1900 and AMPS analogue. Theoretically it should work wherever ATT has a signal or agreement. I'm happy with mine.

11. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Only problem is the lack of SMS or MWI in TDMA

12. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T's 850 markets are also analog. Under FCC direction, they must continue to support analog indefinitely. As a result of this, AT&T is NOT converting their 850 markets to strictly GSM, as some have indicated.

In those markets where AT&T operates 850 analog service (NYC, FLA, DFW, LA, DEN, SEA, POR, SLC, SFO, and PIT), additional spectrum was acquired in the 1900 frequency that is currently being used for GSM.

13. SNSE

SNSE Senior Member

Guys,

AT&T is being forced to deploy 850 GSM because of the coverage of the 1.9 base stations. Where they have Ericsson deployed, they found that they just didn't get the coverage they anticipated and had to backpedal and deploy 850 as well to try and make up the coverage difference. There are a LOT of markets with both 1.9 (Where licensed) and 850 deployed in the same market. I know this because I have talked to a lot of techs in the Eastern markets, and been in several of the sites, and they're scrambling trying to maintain two GSM's, TDMA and AMPS in the same building.

14. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    True...partially... originally the plan was to acquire enough spectrum to support both platforms.

One would guess that...if they do deploy 850 GSM, the first place they would go would be Sarasota/Bradenton...given the issues in this market. (Read up on www.sewireless.info for more details.)

15. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    they will eventually deploy 850 in all areas where they hold cell band (800) liscenses. this doesnt mean they will shut off analog netowrks, those will remain until 2007

16. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    GSM 850 has already been up and running for a while in many, many places.

Yes, cellular license holders are required to keep analog channels on the air for a while, but it is up to AT&T how many TDMA channels they want to have running in thair 850 markets at any given time.

17. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T has been offering GSM 850 in some areas for some time and GSM 850 expansion continues as we speak, for those of you who didn't know. All AT&T 850Mhz POPs will be converted from TDMA to GSM eventually.

Also, the FCC only requires carriers to offer AMPS until 2007. After that, they can do whatever they want. They can either turn it off, or continue offering it for roaming revenue. Both GSM and TDMA/AMPS can be run on the same 850Mhz license block. They just need to split the spectrum like CDMA carriers do.