Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT GSM Frequencies

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by joninrockies, Jul 27, 2008.

1. joninrockies

joninrockies New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I live in the Rocky Mountains, in an area where cell reception is spotty. I'd like to kiss my landline good riddance and do all my phone business with cellular AT&T. In my home, ATT is weak, but always strong enough outside. I've been considering installing a repeater in my home. Maps show that both 850 and 1900MHz are used in my area. Buying a single-band repeater is considerably less expensive than buying one that will work both bands. All my phones are dual band. Can I get by with a single band repeater? I've exhausted the limited expertise of local ATT reps. Can anyone advise?

2. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    With the big companies like AT&T and Verizon its a better bet to buy the dual band.

As time goes by even thou AT&T uses both 850 and 1900 in different area they may use one for GSM and one for 3G and what ever comes next. You would risk not having the correct band down the road.

Dont skimp buy the dual band.

3. joninrockies

joninrockies New Member

Thanks Radiophoneguy. Not the answer I was hoping for, but you're probably right.

4. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Both AT&T and Verizon tend to offer voice on 850 when they have it though. I don't know of any areas where 850 is data only.

So if all you ever need is voice and the price difference is a big deal, then 850 only is an option. You'll probably have a better signal to repeat anyways.

5. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Jon,
    First, we need to narrow down where you live. Let's determine that you are using AT&T towers. Unless you live along I-70, I-25 or Rt 82, your AT&T phone is roaming on Alltel. And Alltel is being purchased by Verizon. The feds may require Verizon to sell off these service areas, so you would hope it would be to AT&T, but so far, AT&T won't pay Verizon's price.

But let's suppose that you actually live within AT&T service. They are all 850 MHz in Colorado except those areas south of Colorado Springs, east of Grand Junction and along Rt 40 north from Winter Park. Yes, getting a "repeater" may help your situation, but you may not be able to use any of their broadband features. Next to switching to Verizon, the easiest repeater to use is Sprint's femtocells, but that requires a broadband connection.

You need to balance your benefits vs. costs, but AT&T uses both bands in different parts of the state.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...