Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT Family? Plan

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by zone20, Dec 10, 2010.

1. zone20

zone20 New Member

I cannot believe this. ATT Family plan does not cross imaginary boundaries. I have a New Jersey number with a 609 area code, this number was ported in from a Verizon Wireless Account. My daughter has Verizon, with a New Jersey 908 area code and was switching to ATT and we were creating a family plan. Sounds simple enough. Can't do it. 609 is in the Philadelphia market and 908 is in a NY market, they both are in NJ and in bordering counties and yet we don't qualify for a family plan.

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'm not sure why after all these years, AT&T still hasn't figured out how to allow phones from different markets on the same family plan account. Verizon's had this option for years now.

Just because the numbers are in the same state doesn't make any difference, market boundaries do. The same would be true here in CA. You can literally have a situation where someone with a (760) number in Victorville (part of the L.A. market) cannot add a family plan number from (760) in Oceanside (part of the San Diego market). This is a case where the same area code covers multiple markets within the same state and they can't be combined. Yes, a county line can make all the difference in the world.

It's ridiculous, but unfortunately AT&T can't do it. When and if they ever will is anybody's guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, I am also shocked to hear this. I remember when Verizon couldn't handle things across markets, but that was back in 2005. I am stunned AT&T still can't.

Guess that is one nice thing about Sprint...I have never had a problem having different markets on the same plan since with Sprint, there is only 1 market. I have an Ohio number on my plan and 3 AZ numbers.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Wow... that is insane!!! I remenber one of my friends tried to merge his (now) wife's Kentucky number with his Florida account. Needless to say, she had to ditch the KY number and take a Tallahassee, FL number instead. On the other hand, my Ohio friends who moved here decided to keep their OH numbers.

Even T-Mobile can bring in numbers across the country into one account, I think its called a inter-market transfer (or something).

I have had my Florida account with 2 Atlanta phone numbers for the last 4 years on the same Verizon plan. I wonder what's AT&T's problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I couldn't remember for sure if T-Mobile and Sprint could do this, though I thought they both did. So thanks Matt and Quint for the clarification.

Still, I'm shocked AT&T's made little progress with this issue. Though it may not affect enough people to be a serious blow to their service, it still is a big enough problem to stand out as a major deficiency.

Is it a billing system issue? Is it because of all the different acquisitions they've had over the years? Is it a GSM issue? Or is it something else? :confused:

Acquisitions haven't hampered Verizon's ability to do this and GSM doesn't seem to affect T-Mobile's ability to do this either...

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I suspect it is a combination of these two things. That was the issue with Verizon years ago. When I moved to Ohio from Florida they forced me to change my plan because the plan I had in Florida was never offered in Ohio. Or rather, the plan and add-ons (mobile web, 200 texts or something like that) couldn't be added because the VZW midwest billing system couldn't accept the codes from the VZW southeast market. The actual calling plan was no different, but the add-ons were considerably more expensive in Ohio when compared to what I had been paying for the same thing in Florida.