Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- ATT Experience in OC California

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by CellGeek, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    What is your experience with ATT Service specifically in Orange County California? I live in Laguna NIguel and work in Irvine and am wondering how the coverage is throughout all of Southern Orange County (Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Irvine, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano).

Is this area all 3G?

How many dropped calle

How many calls don't go through?

How many problems due to hilly terrain especially in Aliso Viejo?

Thanks,

-jim

2. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You can read my response in this thread.

To add on, just 2 days ago around 1:30pm, I was driving one of my customers back to my office on Irvine Center Dr., from the 405 to Lake Forest Dr., and he had 3 dropped calls, and 1 call where he couldn't hear the other person at all (don't know if the other person could hear him though). He had to dial the person 5 times before he successfully connected. He was using a BlackBerry 8820 on AT&T... and was NOT a "happy camper"... :headscrat

EDIT: Just to add on, when my friend was with AT&T (before he switched to Sprint), he would regularly drive to Aliso Viejo. According to him, AT&T was fine for the most part from the freeway to Aliso Creek Rd. But then once you start going up through residential areas on hills (not sure specifically where), AT&T service cuts out. Once he reaches his destination up the hill, his phone can again grab maybe 0-2 bars outdoors (or beside a window on the 2nd floor). Other parts of Aliso Viejo are also hit-and-miss he said. He was using a Motorola RAZR V3, docked to an external car antenna (when driving).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 chokaay, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Just to add on, my friend says with his Sprint BlackBerry 8830 World Edition, he now has no problems whatsoever in Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Irvine, Tustin, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Garden Grove, Westminster, Los Angeles, or any major freeways (so far).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Chokaay,

Thanks for this additional information. My office is also located on Irvine Center Drive near Baranca. I have maybe one dropped call per month with Sprint. That is really aweful. ATT must really have capacity problems in OC because there certainly should be enough cells and signal in that highly populated area. I am surprised that your customer didn't pitch his phone out of the window of the car! Sprint is also very good in Aliso Viejo and there are no more dropped calls on Aliso Creek Road. That problem was fixed several months ago. As I have said many times, the only issue that I have with Sprint is that the selection of serious phones such as Blackberrys with World phone capability really sucks and I also could care less about the Nextel PTT Blackberry that Sprint recently released.

It is beginning to appear that ATT is way over capabity in OC. Maybe this is due to the release of the iPhone and the fact that every kid that I see on the street has one of them.

5. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Perhaps... but keep in mind that in both experiences I quoted, both people were using 2G phones. I haven't asked any of my friends on AT&T 3G how their experience is yet. Next time I do, I'll let you know (could be a while though... we don't talk as often...). ;)

6. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I'm not here to convince you to stay or go, but IMHO, I think you should wait a couple more months on Sprint before making your final decision. As I mentioned in another thread, Sprint is rumored to be coming out with the BlackBerry 8830 replacement "very soon" (some rumors I've read point to 2/09 - 4/09 time frame). If that is true, and the replacement has dual CDMA + GSM/HSPA, then you may be kicking yourself in the future because you didn't wait. On the flipside, what's the worst that could happen... you stayed 2 months longer with Sprint (a carrier that hasn't given you any problems other than a less appealing phone selection)? :confused:

As an aside, personally if it was me, I would stick with tried-and-true solutions that "do it" for you (ie: BlackBerry 8830 World Edition). I've really never been an "early adopter" with technology (by choice), and personally I feel better purchasing electronics that aren't "1st generation" and has many (if not all) the bugs/glitches/problems worked out and the software has been updated to a stable revision (if applicable). There's ALWAYS going to be something that comes out in the future that will be "better" than the current model... so IMO what's the point of getting the "latest-and-greatest" if in 6 months it's not going to be the "latest-and-greatest" anymore? And as an added bonus, the longer you wait, the cheaper the device will become (usually). :wink:

That being said, I understand that "my way" won't work for everybody, and different people have different opinions, personalities, and attitudes about possessions. Thus, I'll just say this: "You gotta pay to play." Thus, both Verizon and AT&T are more expensive than Sprint or T-Mobile, but seem to have a bigger, more varied phone selection (which includes the latest BlackBerries). If you cannot wait any longer, and are willing to accept the downsides of AT&T or Verizon (as well as any potential downsides of the newer device you're considering), then it may be worth it to you to switch to one of them to get a "better" BlackBerry device now. However, if you can wait longer, I'd recommend waiting...

7. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Agreed and therefore I and other folks reading this thread shouldn't jump to incorrect conclusions about ATT. Hopefully other folks with ATT in OC CA that have 3G service will respond and provide their opinion of the service.

8. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I agree. The last I've heard (as of a few months ago), AT&T 3G DOES provide better voice quality and better data speeds than 2G, but also DOES suffer from overcapacity issues (contributed to by the iPhone 3G's popularity) and/or reliability issues (random outages more frequent than 2G) in certain SoCal areas. Also, keep in mind that AT&T 3G is NON-EXISTANT in some parts of SoCal as well (but maybe will be turned on in the future). I don't have specifics on these problem areas, but I'll ask for more specific information the next chance I get.