Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T's amazing promotion... worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by nester, Aug 7, 2002.

1. nester

nester New Member

AT&T's amazing promotion... worthwhile?

A friend of mine who was formerly on Cingular with the same service as me has just switched to AT&T... he got a v60 for FREE on a 2-year contract for a plan with 500 peak, unlimited off peak, unlimited roaming, unlimited long distance... sounds pretty amazing...

So, I'm weighing the benefits of AT&T vs Cingular...

AT&T:
    free v60!!!
    local phone numbers available

Cingular:
    grandfathered plan with unlimited SMS
    keep my same number
    cingular nation is a better national plan (if i switched)
    unlimited mobile-to-mobile

I'm not sure how SMS works with AT&T; are incoming messages free? What plans are available? I receive many notices via SMS but only send a limited number myself. Right now I'm on the NJ local plan with Cingular, and I don't roam much... I would love to have a v60 but I am not paying $250 and signing up for 2 years... I'm off my Cingular contract, so maybe I'll just stay where I am for now... if my Startac were to die tomorrow, I think I would switch though... I'd be paying less monthly, have a better phone, have a local number...

I'm just looking for input... please don't bash either provider for any non-technical reason. And don't suggest that I get voicestream; either I am going to grab the free v60 or I'm going to stick with my Cingular that's served me well. If anyone has any insight how long this promotion will be available, I'd love to know... I'd like to see how well it works for my friend anyway.

2. subcellular

subcellular New Member

A friend of mine got a similar deal as the one that you describe from ATT but her situation was different since she was already an ATT subscriber. When I called ATT to see if they were offering anything like that for new subscribers, the guy sounded shocked at the idea of getting that phone free and said that it was a $200 phone.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I have seen V60s for as low as $28 at Best Buy..maybe the free deal was because you are a high minute user.

To answer your SMS question...every AT&T phone comes provisioned to receive SMS messages and/or email. Incoming messages are always free. If your phone is capable of initiating messages (aka-mobile originated SMS) then it will be provisioned to send as well. Outgoing messages are $.10 apiece. If you think you will be sending a bunch of SMS...then pop for the $4.99 plan which gives you 100 messages.

4. nester

nester New Member

well I'm not sure where my friend got his phone... probably an agent at the mall. He's only got a $35 plan with 500 minutes.

I had thought incoming SMS was free... glad to hear that. 100 is more than enough sends for me, though I might do more than 50 (which would cost the same $5) so I'd go for the plan.

Alright, so I guess I need to find out HOW he got the phone free... he was a Cingular customer like me, off contract. Until he told me he got AT&T his plan was to sign a new Cingular contract and get a new free phone (probably 5165 or whatever they're offering right now) but I can see why he went with AT&T... I'd sure love a free v60.

What I really want to know is what makes Cingular better than AT&T. Around here (central NJ) the service would (should) be identical.

In case no one else broke this news here, Cingular is coming up with new rate plans in about 2 weeks. The CS rep wouldn't say (or didn't know) exactly what, but apparently down in Tulsa everyone's excited about it. So I know I won't switch until I at least hear what the new plans are; as long as I don't want a new phone (and since the only phone I like is $250, no thanks) I won't need to lock into a 2 year contract like my friend did with AT&T.

5. beowulf7

beowulf7 New Member

I have had AT&T Wireless service since Summer 1999. Since I got a 2-way SMS capable phone, this is how I've been charged:
    incoming messages: unlimited for free
    outgoing messages: 10 cents per message or if you subscribe to the SMS plan, up to 100 messages for $5/mo.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

2 year contracts can be bad if a provider's service turns sour ( which they often do ) .

7. nester

nester New Member

I agree on the 2 year contract point. It's definitely a big source of hesitation, especially since a lot can change over the next 2 years; with GSM, wCDMA, CMA2000, etc coming along, I don't know if I'll want to be one of the legacy TDMA users. I've also heard that AT&T isn't as cool about plan changing as Cingular; I can switch to any plan at any time, often with the ability to make it effective as of the start of the current bill (though they only advertise that you can change as of the next bill). That's pretty cool.

But, on the flip side... I found out another guy I know that just changed from Cingular to AT&T got his v60 for free, AND GOT PAID $100 to switch! I believe that was in credit, not cash, but that's really great... and he only signed a ONE year contract too. If I switch, I'm definitely going to find out where he went. [​IMG]

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ATT's coverage in south Jersey, Philly, and Delaware isn't too hot, you'll probably be on CIngular more than ATT. ATT's SMS plans suck. With Verizon or Cingular it's only 2.99 for 100 messages, with Voicestream giving you 500!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

ATT's coverage in south Jersey, Philly, and Delaware isn't too hot, you'll probably be on CIngular more than ATT.
    ----

I'm on AT&T towers 90% of the time here in the Philly area.

10. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T always lets you change your plan whenever the promotions change...and they will always retro it to the beginning of the billing cycle.

Your contract renews only if you take new promotions which require you to re-up.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Where/how are you getting Voicestream and 500 SMSes? I'm just getting ready to buy a plan but all I see is 50 on VS.

(I'm in the middle of registering for the forum - forum needs to send me my registration email! :)

12. stultus

stultus New Member

Now registered. (Posted again in case anyone wants to PM me or email me, and so I can subscribe to thread!)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Go to voicestream.com and click on on-line store, Select your city and pick "Rate Plans".
    If you click on the $39.99 plan (for example), an optional features box will come up -- it explains that for $2.99 you can add 500 SMS messages.

SMK

14. Guest

Guest Guest

That's nice - a FREE v60!

What will you use for wireless communications?

Here's a FREE phone - you've invested nothing and we (AT&T) invested nothing in you, or our network for that matter.

Wow!!! Your FREE v60 will look great on you, but you'll still need to buy a phone from a real carrier (i.e: Verizon)...

15. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    I have the ATT National network plan and just came back from vication in California ( LA, SF, SD) and Las Vegas and my phone worked pretty good everywhere. I almost always had 4 or 5 bars of reception. So as far as big cities go I have no problems with ATT coverage. Not once did the phone showed "roam" or "extended area". I'm waiting for my bill now to see if there any "additional" charges. I'll let you know when I get it.

16. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

i dont know if many people know this but att has a promotion going on. for $34.99 with gsm service you get 300 peak minutes and free night and weekends and have the option of choosing between an additional 200 peak minutes for free or 500 local mobile to mobil minutes for free.

17. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    Actualy in NYC they offer (on TDMA) 300 anytime + 200 additional anytime + 250 national Mobile to Mobile + Unlimited N & W for $34.99 National Network Plan.

18. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thats a good promo

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...