Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T Wireless

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by Charles58, Dec 7, 2006.

1. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i reread some of the thread and from the looks of it wat i am saying is true

380 was AT&T
    170 was something else
    410 is Cingular
    260 is T-Mobile

so wat is 170?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    170 was Cingular's former MNC before the Cingular/AT&T merger I believe...I may be wrong though.

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    and that doesnt explain wat 410 is then

unless the FCC happens to issue new MNCs if companies merge which i highly doubt especially if the name isnt getting changed...i would think that the new company would assume the MNC of the name they are taking from the original mergees

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Correct. Here's a brief rundown:

Prior to 2004 buyout of AT&T Wireless:

170: Cingular/T-Mobile CA/NV (formerly Pacific Bell, then shared network with T-Mobile)
    380: AT&T Wireless
    410: Cingular outside CA/NV
    260: T-Mobile outside CA/NV

I think Cingular also used MNC 150 in one or two markets.

After the buyout, 380 & 410 towers were being merged in the places were both existed, forming the Cingular "Gold" network (410). I didn't coin the term, heard it from a Cingular tech guy.
    In CA/NV, T-Mobile and Cingular no longer share networks. All (or almost all) of the former Pacific Bell (170) towers became the property of T-Mobile. All of former AT&T Wireless (380) towers became the property of Cingular.

As for why Cingular or T-Mobile haven't changed the MNCs yet -- I have no idea, but there isn't any technical reason for them to do that as they don't have an issue with having to switch calls between towers with different MNCs as the now unified regions did.

5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Exactly :)

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    After Cingular and TM ended the shared network in CA/NV in Jan 2005, Cingular had up to 4 years from that date to get all of their users off the shared network...I'm guessing that TM won't change the MNC until the 4 year date or Cingular says everyone is off.

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Do you know if the SIM's roaming database has to be updated when the roaming agreements change? If that's the case, it makes perfect sense that T-Mobile will stay with 170 till the roaming agreement dissolves.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    okay so i was correct in saying that there was a different MNC for the Cali area for T-Mobile and Cingular........was Pacific Bell the original name of Cingular or was it a comapny that Cingular bought before the Cingular/AT&T merger.........and what purpose did it serve and/or why did thbey use sepate MNCs in different areas?

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Pacific Bell was the original company that provided GSM service in CA/NV. I don't know for sure how it got rebranded as Cingular, but the MNC stayed. Later on it became a shared network with T-Mobile, so naturally T-Mobile was forced to use the same MNC.

As for different MNCs in different areas -- this is all before Cingular "went national". Since converting all different networks to use the same MNC is quite a lot of work, I guess Cingular didn't see the need until the buyout of AT&T Wireless made them the #1 player, but it's pure speculation on my part.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so back in the medieval times when Cingular was regional......they were called Pacific Bell and they were in California....at this time they were called Pacific Bell but Pacific Bell later changed to SBC if i am correct.......BellSouth and SBC shared a part in the company.......and then Cingular bought AT&T.....and after all of these mergers.....they never felt the need to change their MNC until they merged with AT&T...........does this mean that they will eliminate confusion and maybe attempt to convert all the towers that they own to 410.....it would be a help.....:rolleyes:

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think you got it now .....

T-Mobile has used at least 6 MNCs - VoiceStream, Omnipoint, Aerial, Powertel, SOL PCS, DigiPh. The one they use now everywhere except CA/NV is the original VoiceStream MNC.

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm not going to even attempt to untangle all the name changes and variations, I value my sanity too much :) However, if I understand it correctly, never before has Cingular acquired a GSM network in the region where they already had presence until the AT&T Wireless buyout. That's why they didn't have the need to converge MNCs before and that's why they owned at least three MNCs prior to 2004: 170 in CA/NV, 150 in Carolinas and 410 elsewhere. The AT&T towers however overlapped Cingular in a lot of places and they were forced to integrate the two networks. As irony would have it, they don't get to keep their old network in CA/NV, so once again there's no pressure for them to switch the MNCs. But I believe that in the longterm all of Cingular towers across US will have MNC 410.

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    alright well i understand a little but you got the point across to me without the cost of your sanity........i just think it would be easier if Cingular made the company technologically seamless.........it will make it easier for Wireless Advisor peeps to understand.... haha :rolleyes:

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Indeed it would... it would also stop my operator logo from working :(

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    haha........and i could imagine them getting a really good handle on their features...and i mean that in a bad-going-like-Verizon-sort-of-way

i can def see Cingular putting brand name software on every single phone......once they have the whole network seamless and AT&T buys BellSouth......itll be funny if this ridiculous prediction turns out that way

haha :lmao:

16. elmo01

elmo01 Senior Member

310-380 to be precise :browani: