Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- At&t wireless, no service

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by itzy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. itzy

itzy New Member

Unfortunately we learn the hard way. I have had AT&T Wireless since 2001 and only had a minor problems with dropped calls. My recent experience has been very frustrating. I have moved about 22 miles away and shock!!!! no AT&T service and on top of that, no tower within 40 miles. To have a land line with DSL is their only answer, but - no DSL either. I know that I cannot be in 2009 technology and have no service area for what had been available 22 miles away.

I have spoken with about 10 AT&T staff with only one apologizing. I was told that I was right in the "big white area in GA with no tower, yet there are 8 towers within 2-5 miles of me. The others just wanted to sell a packages (which by the way would not work). Perhaps the "big box" is just too big.

I am now searching for a solution with another service provider, any suggestions.

Itzy., southeast georgia

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Where are you in SE Georgia? In southern GA, Alltel or Verizon seems to have better coverage. I've only traveled in SW Georgia with my AT&T phone (Albany, Thomasville) and the coverage there is primarily near major roads or larger cities. If you have a choice between the Verizon and Alltel, I'd say go with Alltel because of the rate plans. Make sure you test the provider(s) thoroughly within the trial period.

If you are in a contract for the AT&T cell phone, I'd definitely try to cancel without an early termination fee. Otherwise, I'd just port out and be done with it.

For high speed internet, is there a cable company in your area? Perhaps, if you bundled cable with TV and/or phone, you'll get a decent price. If high speed is not available thru the cable company, your only options are Satellite (pricey from what I have seen) or a data card from the cell phone company (pricey, possibly slower, and/or usage caps).

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. itzy

itzy New Member

Quint101, thank you for the advice. I have discovered Verizon is set to purchase AllTel so am considering Verizon. I have friends that have V and it picks up very good. I live between Jesup and Brunswick, moved here from Brunswick. I looked into the air card (broadband) and am considering it also.

Itzy

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Great to see that you'll have a solution at hand... Hopefully.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...