Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T Wireless in PA, NJ, DE, MD

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone have any input on At&T wireless in these area's? Thinking of switching because of national coverage.

Would love to hear responses about AT&T wireless.

2. Pitapony

Pitapony New Member

Anonymous...switching FROM what TO what? I'm in NE PA (Pocono Mtns.) and have talked to several friends who have AT&T. They're pleased with their service. I've also talked to others who have Verizon and they're pleased with their service. Now, this is basically for the Pocono area...don't know how either work in NJ, DE or MD. However, Verizon now has a new plan ... America's Choice...which is basically a national plan. It starts at $35 and goes on up. I'm headed for the nearest Verizon kiosk next payday and signing up.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I used at&t in the western pa area new castle/sharon pa area and it was ok because it was roaming off of cellular ones towers. There is no at&t service for that area. For a national plan I would say verizon would be your better choice. Both are good I tend to lean toward verizon. Also unsure of the other three states. Also verizon works better in Ohio

Hope this helps

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

ATT is horrible here in North Jersey, if you want good national coverage go with Verizon.

5. jason

jason Member

ATTWS in these states is IMHO good - although I think you need to look it on a county by county basis.

PA - (Pocono) Pike, Wayne, Monroe, Luzerne, Lackawana, Northampton, Lehigh, Berks, Schuylkill, Lycoming, Carbon: These are served off ATTWS towers which were purchased from Vanguard. This area is solid. Much more so than Verizon. They actually have put some effort into this area.

PA - (Philly) - Bucks, Delaware, Montgomery, Chester, Philadelphia: Personally, I think this system is solid. ATTWS has one of the densest tower ratios of any provider in this area. However, two caveats - in rural chester, Montgomery, and Northern Bucks counties, you'll be roaming on Cingular. This isn't a problem because Cingular is one of ATTWS big roaming partners here and those towers will be part of your coverage area. Caveat two - when you are on the fringe of the ATTWS system, your phone will sometimes prefer the weaker ATTWS towers to Cingular's.

NJ - Mercer - Coverage around Trenton is great - I'd say this county is pretty well built out on the ATTWS Philly system

NJ - Middlesex - OK - ATTWS coverage here is spotty at best. They are just starting their E Band PCS rollout with (I think) mixed success. You'll be on the Cingular network a lot.

NJ - (Southern Counties) - ATTWS is good from the Delaware river to the NJ turnpike. South of that, there's no ATTWS towers to speak of (save a few on the ACY expressway). You'll roam on Cingular.

NJ - Warren - see comments for Pocono region

NJ - NYC metro - people have varying feelings on this, but I've never had problems

DE - New Castle (all I can speak of) - Coverage in Wilmington is solid.

MD - Cecil - Coverage along I-95 is solid - US 1 is a little spotty

MD - Baltimore and South - ATT DC network has been fine for the areas I travel to - Only dead spot that bothers me is on I-95 by the Maryland House.

jason

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Bought my mother a Verizon prepaid phone. She lives in New Castle, PA. She spent hours talking to various customer service reps. Customer service was poor in Verizon stores. They told her to go to Radio Shack - that they knew more about service in her area. She was not able to make outgoing calls in and around New Castle area. Verizon told her not to return phone that there was no reason she should not be able to use her phone. She finally gave up after 2 hours of troubleshooting with Customer Service. Someone locally told her there was no Verizon service in New Castle because of litigation that was ongoing. Someone should notify Verizon of this - they don't seem to know a thing about their service.
    She returned the phone to me and now the store where I purchased the phone is giving me the run-around. Again gave me customer service numbers to call. Told me they have 15 day return policy. Unbelievable! Who said deregulating phone company was good for the public.

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Verizon is ok in sharron pa. They took over the alltel network in that area. I have personally used my alltel phone in those areas that you are talking about. I think that you can get cellular one in new castle. They do not have pre-pay but seem to have some inexpensive plans.

Hope my rambeling helped

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mbstone99

mbstone99 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    << Bought my mother a Verizon prepaid phone. She lives in New Castle, PA. She spent hours talking to various customer service reps. Customer service was poor in Verizon stores. They told her to go to Radio Shack - that they knew more about service in her area. She was not able to make outgoing calls in and around New Castle area. Verizon told her not to return phone that there was no reason she should not be able to use her phone. She finally gave up after 2 hours of troubleshooting with Customer Service. Someone locally told her there was no Verizon service in New Castle because of litigation that was ongoing. Someone should notify Verizon of this - they don't seem to know a thing about their service.
    She returned the phone to me and now the store where I purchased the phone is giving me the run-around. Again gave me customer service numbers to call. Told me they have 15 day return policy. Unbelievable! Who said deregulating phone company was good for the public.
    >>

A friend of mine has a Verizon phone.. she's from Pittsburgh and came up to visit me one day in New Castle where I live.. I was taking to her on the phone while she was driving up and once she got here she got cut off and had the same problem with not being able to make an outgoing call to call me back.. You wouldn't happen to know more about the litigation going on here with Verizon would you?

My wife and both have a Cellular One phone and it's good.. no real problems at all with the coverage except down in Little Beaver or North Beaver.. I forget the township that is above Beaver County as you go down Rt 60 Toll, I have had problems with the coverage there but then once you get down in Beaver County the coverage returns to full again. It's just that one area that isn't the greatest the rest of the county I haven't had a problem coverage.

Matthew

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Well about the litagation problems with verizon. New castle is NOT a verizon market its an alltel market. I was in new castle, traveling with my alltel cell phone based out of cleveland ohio and had no trouble making a call even though it was only analog. I went into a alltel store to look for an accessory for my phone when he told me (that new castle alltel is going to change into a verizon market but he did not know when because of the litigation) that was all he told me. Maybe this will help.

The radio shack near the alltel store sold alltel and sprint pcs.

BTW how is cellular one is new castle are they digital. Also coverage in new willimington PA

P.S. Cellular one has some really good deals right now

10. mbstone99

mbstone99 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    << Well about the litagation problems with verizon. New castle is NOT a verizon market its an alltel market. I was in new castle, traveling with my alltel cell phone based out of cleveland ohio and had no trouble making a call even though it was only analog. I went into a alltel store to look for an accessory for my phone when he told me (that new castle alltel is going to change into a verizon market but he did not know when because of the litigation) that was all he told me. Maybe this will help.

The radio shack near the alltel store sold alltel and sprint pcs.

BTW how is cellular one is new castle are they digital. Also coverage in new willimington PA

P.S. Cellular one has some really good deals right now
    >>

Ahh I didn't know that.. I have a friend here that used to have a Tracfone.. and they are under Alltel.. BTW Tracfones are totally crap and not worth is. I never noticed RS selling Alltel phones just Sprint PCS.. I know there is Alltel store somewhere up on Wilmington
    Road and the old store in Walmart out in Union isn't manned anymore but the booth is still there..

Cellular One is New Castle is digital and has good coverage.. there are some bad spots.. like down in the southern township near Beaver Co and up in Eastbrook where there is a hill that causes problem but as for New Wilmington I haven't been up there in ages.. so I am not sure but mostlikely the same as the coverage is fairly good as it's a populated area so it should have half decent reception.. If I am ever up there in the next while I will let you know.. Ya Cell on has some good plans right now.. I redid my contract and have 400 day and 2500 night minutes.. but I think the current offer theey have now is 600 or 700 day and 3000 night minutes.. I don't even use much of my 2500 minutes.. One thing though Cell One nights start at 9pm...

Matthew

11. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    [​IMG]What difference does it make if you are roaming on another carrier's network.IF you have a plan that includes roaming and
    long distance,then it should not matter at all who is providing the
    coverage.The main thing is that you are able to make and receive
    calls when you have to.I have AT&T and i am on the regional plan
    I live in new york and i do a lot of traveling myself.I could care less
    about roaming on another carrier's network,as long as i don't have
    to pay any roaming fees and i can make and receive calls when i have to. That is the main thing.[​IMG]