Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T WIFI Calling

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by rjniles, Jun 21, 2018.

1. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am hearing chatter on another forum that AT&T will be allowing WIFI calling on unbranded (unlocked) Android phones. Any other confirmation?

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I have seen post like this in the past, but it always turns out that it only works on certain AT&T phones only.

It would make sense for AT&T to allow it since it would lower traffic on their network. Since they don't allow it, I've always thought it must have something to do with government tracking.

Have checked out XDA on this issue?

3. sis651

sis651 Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Omnia i900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Turkcell
    Sorry, I'm not in USA. I'm in Türkiye and we can use very limited number of phones in VoLTE network. Only top phones from Apple, Samsung and LG etc. can use VoLTE and WiFi calling etc. However, technically most of the other phones seem to have support for VoLTE and WiFi calling. What's the barrier that prevents all phones from using these?

Additionally, if we want to enable VoLTE support in a device that supports it but operator doesn't support the device, we insert the SIM card in an supported phone and enable VoLTE on the line, then when the card is put back to the original phone it can get VoLTE calls etc.

4. dmapr

dmapr Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    For some features (such as LTE support for example) this approach works as AT&T only checks once to add the feature. However for some others, such as VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling it checks every time an IMEI change is detected. So even if you enable them on a supported phone, once you switch to a non-supported one it'll stop working.

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Also, these features are available only on Cricket or AT&T postpaid service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...