Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T, VoiceStream or Cingular in Manhatten, NYC?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AT&T, VoiceStream or Cingular in Manhatten, NYC?

Which service would you recommend for NYC's Manhatten area come August:

AT&T
    VoiceStream
    or
    Cingular (whenever it comes out)

I will be using the phone frequently for long distance calls so I would like something with a wide national network, free long distance and roaming, but also good for calls within the city. Also, two-way messaging would be a plus.

Thank you so much, I am lost when it comes to cell phones![​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular is alredy out, and they are offering very good plans. the official day for Cingular in NYC is july 1st

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, they launched already in NYC...I just saw Spiderman flying around here....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cingular and Verizon both have a large nationwide network. Be warned about Cingular, you'd be using GSM (which means you'll roam off Voicestream usually) and the coverage is limited to most major cities. ATT's plans are expensive, and their "on network" plan has a small coverage area IMO.

5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

If he get Cingular in NYC he will be using Voicestream, Cingular is using Voicestreams towers.

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

You should just get Voicestream. They give you Free Roaming & Free Long Distance across the U.S. Voicestream also gives you the most text messages for your money. I pay $2.99 for 500 text messages. Everybody elses is something like $2.99 for 100 messages (Verizon charges that). I send alot of text messages. I usually go over the 500, unbelieveably. The messaging is very reliable, and the messages always go through in about 1-2 seconds (instantly). I recommend Voicestream. I have a friend in New York name Bob, who is also a member of this forum, and he says that Vociestream in NYC is "terrific."

Here is a link to Voicestream National Rate Plans:
    Voicestream Wireless (T-Mobile) - Nationwide Rate Plans

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as VS goes, if you are waiting until August keep in mind that when VS relaunches markets nationwide under the T-Mobile name, there will be new and presumably better plans.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From the looks of it, Cingular Wireless has better rate plans then VoiceStream does in the NYC market.

9. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Here is Cingular's information on NYC. Some new plans and maps for New York.

New York Cingular

10. aiwapro

Their plans don't beat Voicestream. The only thing that could put them slightly ahead is night minutes, which Voicestream maybe be adding UNLIMITED nights anyways.

11. aiwapro

I just read the fine print stuff on the left side of the Cingular New York webpage; Why do you have to request detailed billing and stuff? Shouldn't that come automatically? Also, did you guys/gals read the fine print about their 'Family' plan, that is extremely expensive when you add lines, $16.99/month each, plus an extra $9.99/month each for Night & Weekend minutes.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, if using a phone to talk to someone else is more important than all the barely used bells and whistles, then getting the plan that gives you the most minutes for your money should be the way to go. And if we are only talking about a decision between Cingular and Voicestream in NYC just look at Cingular and Voicestream websites and see who has more minutes for the money. Signal coverage is the same with either one.

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Definitely some decent plans from Cingular. The only way they directly compete is on the nationwide level. VS beats cingular in a few, Cingular beats VS in a few (comparing anytime minutes.) The local/metro plans sure have a lot of minutes, but the coverage area is very small - it compares best with the Verizon local plans. If you stay within that area it can work, but if you go ouside the NYC metro is gets costly....that's outside of the joint network area.

14. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

You all talk like local plans shouldn't be consider, most people don't really travel and some people don't travel at all, and to compare VoiceStream plans to Cingular plans , is like comparing a penny to a dollar. The only plan VoiceStream have that better than Cingular is 3000 minutes regional plan (and thats it).

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The numbers are actually much closer than you think. Those 50-70 dollar ranges you can't really determine a clear difference - we're talking tenths of a cent per minute. Also, many people are on the "preferred" VS plans which give 100 extra minutes at 39.99 and higher, which would tilt the comparison to VS a bit, but they aren't posted so I didn't compare them.

Comparing anytime minutes,

19.99 VS has the only offer
    29.99 VS 250, C 300. Advantage C.
    39.99 VS 500 (.08 cents per minute), C 450 (.113). Advantage VS.
    49.99 C 700 (.071)
    59.99 VS 800 (.075)
    69.99 C 1000 (.07)
    99.99 VS 1400 (.071) C 1500 (.067). Advantage C

only Cingular has higher plans above 99.99.

Cingular's metro plans are nice, and can fit some people's needs, but many people would appreciate the LD feature that doesn't seem to be available.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LD is one of the reasons I got a cell phone in the first place. Cingular NYC Metro plans have nationwide Long Distance included which stingy Verizon doesn't want to include in the local plans. They also have night minutes which Voicestram doesn't offer. So putting it all together your bill will stay lower with Cingular IMO.

I think Verizon is the only carrier that charges nationwide LD on local plans.

17. aiwapro

If Voicestream was to add night minutes then they would definitely have the best plans overall. It funny that even without night minutes Voicestream is still be able to stay up in rankings and customer base, so if they do add night minutes Naitonwide, then the sky is the limit; They will gain all of those customers who turned away from them only because they didn't provide extra night minutes.

18. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    bobolito, Verizon just released some new Local Digital Choice Plans that DO include long distance although I'm not sure if those plans are avaible in NY or not.

By the way I have to agree with you on the long distance part the main reason I got my wireless phone is because I have a lot of people that I talk to across the country and landlines are just way too expensive for long distance. I have to have a plan with Long Distance included or it does me no good, since 90% of the people I talk to are scattered across the country.

ALL of SunCom's (Triton PCS) current plans include Long Distance.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream was to add night minutes then they would definitely have the best plans overall. It funny that even without night minutes Voicestream is still be able to stay up in rankings
    ---------

Yes, making North Jersey/New York City GSM mirror that of Southern California, very funny indeed.

20. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Like I said VoiceStream plans are not good enough, yeah they might give you alot of daytime minutes, But without Nightime minutes it really not alot of daytime minutes (if you get the point).

21. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Lets hope that they roll out night and weekend minutes nationwide

Jack

22. aiwapro

<< Like I said VoiceStream plans are not good enough, yeah they might give you alot of daytime minutes, But without Nightime minutes it really not alot of daytime minutes (if you get the point). >>

Isn't that exactly what I said? Here is exactly what I said "If Voicestream was to add night minutes then they would definitely have the best plans overall." Do you get the point? Are you comprehending that I already stated the fact that if Voicestream was to get night minutes then their rate plans would be better, probably the best. I wrote a whole paragraph about it, but maybe you didn't notice it.

<< Yes, making North Jersey/New York City GSM mirror that of Southern California, very funny indeed. >>

What are you trying to say here. It is the company that you work for, Cingular, who has the terrible Southern California service and both you and all of the people on the forum can vouch for that. Voicestream has no problems in NYC or in Jersey.

23. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

well as far as coverage goes ive heard lots of complaints from at&t nyc users......the best coverage in the city belongs to sprint and verizon and maybe nextel......plans are a different beast. sprint just came out with a 49.99 plan to compete with cingulars offerings that includes 700 anytime minutes,4300N&W minutes and LD and verizon has something similar if not better. nextel's lower cost plans are nothing spectacular but once you start spending a little money you can get unlimited incoming calls 24/7/365 with a nice amount of anytime minutes as well. i have heard that voicestreams network in the city has gotten much better it remains to be seen how they handle capacity with cingular jumping onboard.

24. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Here is what the official Cingular web site has. Cingular Web Site The above Cingular site (www.cingularny.com) is a resailer, not the official Cingular Site.

Cingular Nation Preferred Plan, travel nationwide on the GSM network with no roaming or long distance charges with a GSM phone.

It says on the GSM network ... with a GSM phone. Says nothing about a GAIT phone or TDMA.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The reason why Voicestream gives more daytime minutes than anyone on a comparable price plan is because they don't have night minutes. Once they start offering night minutes, don't think the amount of anytime minutes will stay that high. Let's be realistic.

26. aiwapro

I don't know, to stay in competition, especially with Cingular coming close to Voicestreams rate plans, Voicestream might have to keep those anytime minutes pretty high. In fact, for the Cali/Nevada launch, I believe that Voicestream increased their $29.99 plan from 200 anytime minutes to 300 anytime minutes, and I'm sure the last minute promotion will be UNLIMITED Nights.

27. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think with VoiceStream being the smallest major carrier in the US right now and with the increased competition from Cingular there rates will stay the same if not get better. I hate to actually agree with Aiwapro but in this case I do.

28. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Im going to agree with Aiwapro

Jack

29. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    About time for VS, 29.99 for 200 minutes sucks, it's 250 with Cingular and that's Cingular Nation too, which is a really good value in the TDMA markets.

30. Guest

Guest Guest

people on the forum can vouch for that. Voicestream has no problems in NYC or in Jersey.

-----

We shall see towards the end of Q4.