Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T turns on 3G in multiple areas of VA

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Fire14, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    AT&T Answers the Need for Speed in Richmond and Hampton Roads

Company Launches 3G Wireless Broadband Network in Virginia

Supercharged Mobile Access to Interactive Content and Mobile Applications

Richmond, Virginia, November 20, 2007

AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) has announced a change in how, when and where people access the Internet, use e-mail or view a variety of entertainment services by offering third-generation (3G) wireless broadband mobile services in Richmond and Hampton Roads. With the addition of 367 3G cell sites, AT&T now provides 3G network services in the Greater Richmond area, including Richmond, Richmond International Airport, Henrico County, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville, Sandston, Chesterfield County, Chester, Colonial Heights, Hopewell and Petersburg. The company also launched the 3G network in the Hampton Roads area, including Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Gloucester and Norfolk International Airport.

With the 3G network, consumers and businesses can enjoy wireless broadband speeds from AT&T and use their 3G devices to quickly access feature-rich wireless content, including videos, games, pictures and the latest music, entertainment, news and weather, through MEdia Net, the company's mobile Internet portal. Customers also can view razor-sharp clips through CV, an on-demand streaming video service that offers a comprehensive library of mobile video content from some of the top media brands.

"AT&T's 3G mobile broadband service gives customers quick access to the information they crave the most, whether that means catching the latest video highlights of the Hokies or connecting to their company's e-mail while out of the office at a client meeting — all from their AT&T 3G device," said Erika K. Thompson, vice president and general manager for AT&T's wireless division in Virginia and West Virginia. "We are giving customers an 'invisible wire' that extends their broadband experience way beyond their home or office."

The AT&T 3G network offers AT&T LaptopConnect mobile customers DSL-like speeds for their laptops, with the ability to access the Internet, their company's intranet or corporate e-mail from anywhere within the 3G network. The combination of AT&T's 3G network and LaptopConnect — which simply requires a LaptopConnect card or a laptop with embedded 3G capability, software and an AT&T data plan — is ideal for customers who want to increase business productivity and need to quickly download large files, run corporate applications or access the Internet.

AT&T's 3G wireless broadband network is available in more than 220 U.S. major metropolitan areas and is continuing to expand to additional markets. The 3G network is also available in almost every major country, so customers can use their handsets almost anywhere they go. Over the past three years, AT&T has invested more than

$18 billion to build and support the scope and capability of its wireless network and to add 3G markets. Locally, AT&T continues to invest in its wireless network and has spent more than $143 million since 2005 to upgrade and expand wireless service throughout the state of Virginia. These initiatives ensure quality of service and empower customers with superfast access to the voice and data network from their handsets and mobile devices.

The 3G network also provides the simultaneous delivery of voice and data — a capability not offered by all wireless providers. AT&T's Video Share is an example of a unique 3G service that enables users to share live video over wireless phones while carrying on a voice call. For example, Video Share customers are able to participate on a conference call from their 3G device while they download a presentation or access the Internet.

"Imagine the thrill of being able to share 'what I see, when I see it' on your wireless device," said Thompson. "Video Share is another example of how advanced wireless services are reshaping our everyday lives. This means that the working parent who is stuck in a business meeting doesn't have to miss a child's first music recital. Services such as Video Share let customers share personal experiences as they happen from across town or across the country."

AT&T- News Room

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    It's about time! Cingular was very far behind in comparison with the other carriers...

The network down there has some a long way since the old suncom days...

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I still would like to see 3G in Fredericksburg/Stafford. Manassas would be nice too.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey, and don't forget Range 8 out on the backside of MCB Quantico!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LOL, I hit a deer literally 100 yards from the entrance to Range 8 about 2 weeks ago. If you look at the intersection of Brent Town Road & Cromwell road you'll see the dotted skid marks my antilock brakes left. Their service out there works fine if you have a decent phone, but no 3G, just EDGE.

-Jay

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh dang Jay, and I was just throwing that out there. The way you were describing some of the areas, I thought that may strike a cord. I was stationed at Quantico back in the late 80's :patriot:.

I am new to the forums, obviously :p, Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge you gents have who have been around this industry for bit. Very impressed with the WiFi router bit with your Tilt.

I am coming up on my EOC with Verizon out in the Denver area and considering going GSM. The saga continues.....

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yeah, I grew up in the back of Stafford near ranges 6 & 7. I can remember as a kid standing at the bus stop waiting for the school bus and hearing machine gun fire. I can also remember the house shaking when they did their bombing practice. My parents currently live off of Tackett's Mill Road in Stafford near the Stafford / Faquier county line. I had just left my parent's house on my way home when I hit that deer a couple of weeks ago.

AT&T's service out there is fair as long as you have a good phone like a Motorola V551. My Dad's Treo doesn't work worth a darn out there though, and my old iPAQ didn't either. The Tilt seems to do reasonably well out there so far. My Mom called me yesterday to ask me when I would be at her house right when I was driving by Heart's Delight Baptist Church (near the entrance to MCB-3) and the phone worked well. I told her I'd be there in under 10 minutes.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I also was a civilian employee of the USMC for 10 years on Quantico. Because of a birth defect in my feet there is no way I could ever pass a military physical, but I still served the military in the capacity that I could.

-Jay

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well no wonder you know those roads! Man I haven't been back there in years, but as you describe the area, it all comes back all too easy.

As I have mentioned I am ending contract soon with Verizon (who by current articles seem to be dashing to maintain customer base IE 700mhz auction, there recent news release to allow "other phones" on thier network).

I have never owned a PDA/Smart phone, so I have not been tainted or gained a bias towards any OS. I did like the looks of the Tilt that you carry. As well I am drawn to the curve as well. Still debating on AT&T or TMo.

Well thx again Jay for the walk down memory lane. I used to live in Dale City back in the day. Looking forward to hopefully getting out there in 2008 to see the new Marine Corps museum.

BTW Jay, :patriot: thanks for serving at ANY capacity!

9. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Why is it college/universtity towns like Blacksburg and Charlottesville are slow to get 3G coverage? I would think those locations would be heavy data usage zones.

10. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Thanks, in my 10 years on Quantico I had several jobs, but all of them were "important";). I served as a manager in the package store, and also as a vending machine service/repairman for the vending section on base. Now that I've been the private sector for 5 or 6 years I really miss it. I wasn't always a popular person with the brass on base, Quantico is a very political base and I never cared for the politics. My focus was always what was in the best interest of the troops on base. I guess that's why I did well even though the brass didn't like me much. I was once told that I didn't give the base commander "special treatment". I came back with "Aren't I supposed to give every serviceperson who comes to me the best service possible, reguardless of rank?" If that is the case then I can't give officers special treatment, because everyone gets the highest level of service possible.

-Jay

-Jay

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    It's something I've thought a little about and though I don't get to make any decision, I think some of has to do with these reasons.. You would have to think that the average college user doesn't need a pda compared to the average business user. Many universities also provide free WiFi or at least hard-wired connections throughout campus from other internet providers. So often, gross population, or workforce population is far more important than student population. Another factor is competition. Alltel, Verizon, and Sprint have already had 3G in Richmond and Hampton Roads for a long time now and one could argue that an informed shopper, before now, wouldn't consider At&t in Virginia's most populated areas. But in Blacksburg and Charlottesville, there traditionally hasn't been 3G offered by anybody. Within the past year, Alltel has launched in Charlottesville and Verizon in Blacksburg. So At&t may step it up in the future to keep up with competition, but with 2 yr contracts in place and the lack of customers shopping around, I wouldn't think it would be necessary.
    A final consideration can be seen in this link giving profiles of Virginia's 4 year universities: http://www.schev.edu/students/publications/Public4Year.pdf
    Most people associate UVA and Va Tech as Virginia's main colleges. But actually, the largest university in the state is located in Richmond at VCU followed by George Mason in Fairfax. In Hampton Roads, there is ODU, Norfolk State, Hampton, Christopher Newport, and Regent. So I can see why the areas targeted by At&t would be a far greater priority than Blacksburg and Charlottesville, though I'm sure those areas are in the eventual plans.

12. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Alltel has had EVDO in Cville for quite some time...

Remember that Cingular/At&t is fairly new in the 757, 434, and 540. It acquired the network from Suncom a few years ago... I'm sure they've had to spend a lot of money to update what was a pretty patchy network. 3G is probably somewhat delayed because of this.

Verizon recently updated the prl for SID502 (greater roanoke/bburg) by adding a tag for EVDO. I can only imagine that it is coming soon. That said, I'm not surprised in the least bit that there isn't EVDO at the moment. Remember, Blacksburg is a very unique situation. The town is only 40,000 people. Launching EVDO is probably very expensive and wouldn't be worth the cost to only bring it to such a small population that is spread out along a fairly large area with rough topography. Yes, there is a large student population that can double the town's size overnight, but even then you are probably only hitting 70,000 - 80,000. Most apartment complexes, the local transit, and many areas around the town&university have free wifi. I just don't see a very large 'need' for EVDO at the moment. This is probably why it has taken so long for VZW to upgrade the area.

13. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Please delete this post for me.

#13 Ironwalt, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  14. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    They need to go past Centreville through Manassas to Warrenton and down 29 to Fredericksburg. A heavily traveled route with a population explosion over the past 5 years.

15. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    As of last weekend, we now have 3G past Manassas on I-66 all the way down Route 29 to the Route 15 intersection in Gainesville. It will almost reach all the way to Vint Hill. Now if they will just finish to Warrenton, I will be happy.