Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T tower still using EDGE??

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by ccobb123, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ccobb123

ccobb123 New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    On my way driving up to my cabin I decided to take a different road through a rural farm land area. As a was turning onto the road I take to drive over this mountain I noticed that there was 2 Cell towers and I checked my iPhone 4 and I got 5 bars of EDGE. Im guessing that AT&T forgot that tower was still on EDGE? Or do they not want to update it to 3G? I've heard that they are shutting down there EDGE network so that tower still being on EDGE surprises me.

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi ccobb123,

I live in northeast lower Michigan and live in large blob of EDGE-only data. By a large blob, I mean the entire east side of lower Michigan, from Bay City northward (about 150 miles). All of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP) is pure EDGE as well, besides two SMALL areas of 3G.

I've talked with the AT&T Office of The President about why this area is still 2G only and they told me it was lack of money and backhaul. I was also told it wouldn't be converted to 3G until late 2013. There are still many rural areas around the USA that are still EDGE only. AT&T seems to be focused on only back-hauling current 3G with enhanced fiber backhaul.

3. ccobb123

ccobb123 New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Do have fiber in your area? To my understanding this area only has DSL.

4. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My area barely has DSL offered. AT&T is using Frontier Communications for their backhaul (which currently only offers T1 service to cell sites as backhaul). EDGE speeds are really bad here, maybe 30Kbps on the download during off-peak usage (around midnight).

5. ccobb123

ccobb123 New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I looked into it more and this area is the same. It is getting its service from frontier and is using T1. I called frontier and they said that they would have DSL in September for residents. Hopefully when this comes there will be a faster back haul for AT&T.