Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NORTHEAST U.S. -- AT&T to discontinue GSM traffic as of 5/15/11?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by Mudsharky, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bthetoy

bthetoy New Member

Would appreciate if you could share how that conversation went and how you were able to negotiate keeping your rate plan.

2. spdickey

spdickey New Member

3. charlietango

charlietango New Member

Mudsharky and spdicekey - where are you located?
    anyone in silicon valley, San Francisco, CA area?

4. spdickey

spdickey New Member

LA, but it probably doesn't matter except what store manager you talk to when you go in the store. Mine was in Santa Monica, CA. Remind them that iPhone users with former unlimited plans are able to reinstate unlimited data if they lost them in the past few months.

5. charlietango

charlietango New Member

Thanks spdicekey..

wow!!! 30% increase in your bill...

6. charlietango

charlietango New Member

Mudsharky, where are you located? Thanks.

7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm in Bay Area but haven't gone to any stores yet. Since Mudsharky is the OP and placed it into NORTHEAST U.S. section of the forum it would seem he's not in Silicon Valley.

8. charlietango

charlietango New Member

Thanks dmapr. I'm in BA too - more like in Peninsula. Let us know how did you visit go.

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Well, knowing myself… I probably won't go there for a while. After all, I have till May 14th ;)

10. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    For AT&T Mobility FamilyTalk plans, the price includes two lines. The third through the fifth lines cost $9.99 each.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm sorry, this comment is hard to read out of context — what is this in reference to?

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I also just received a text message from AT&T restating much the same thing — get a new phone & rate plan to avoid service termination.

13. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto G Stylus Pixel 3a XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/410.21.010; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I received the text a few days ago. We still have a few months left.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Wow, I'm impressed. First, there was the letter. Then, there was the text. Now I also have received a voicemail on my home phone from AT&T with much the same crap about how their network upgrades will render my phone obsolete — and it's more than three months away!

15. spdickey

spdickey New Member

We're sharing what offers we're getting from the retention departments for this forced migration in the thread at Howard Forums Service Termination May 15th 2011 - Old Blue AT&T Customer

1 person likes this.
  16. marysm

marysm New Member

Really?

Have you started using the new SIM? Wondering if you really are getting free incoming texts. Have you checked your account online-- are you seeing the same old account details?

BTW, if things are as they said they would be, you should post your experience over at the HowardForums thread.

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    It gets more interesting. Here's the latest voicemail I received from AT&T.

Hello this is an important message from AT&T about your wireless service. Please listen carefully to these two important updates. First we've extended your deadline to transition your service to a new phone and rate plan. You now have until August 31, 2011 the transition your service to ensure continuous wireless service. Second text service will not be available on your current phone after April 30, 2011. However, once we transition your service. You will once again be able to send and receive text messages. Please stop by your local AT&T company owned store today to transition your service and select your new free replacement phones from select devices and the new rate plan. Remember you can keep your current wireless number. And no new service commitment is required. If you have already responded to this message. No further action is necessary "

18. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/SYB-1103231405; U; en-US) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)

I received a text today about not being able send or receive text messages after 4/30/11, but the news about the extended deadline to switch plans is an interesting development. I'm guessing that I may not have received the voicemail because I'm using YouMail. It looks I may have to make a decision sooner than I originally planned.

19. Mudsharky

Mudsharky New Member

If you are using at old AT&T SIM card (mine was from 1999 or earlier, before Cingular + AT&T joined) then eventually your phone will not be authenticated onto the network. They are decommissioning the old servers that process the old (less secure) authentication method.

Simply (?) go to an AT&T store and have them burn you a replacement SIM. That should fix all.

I had to choose a new plan; they had the same one I already had, so no diff there.
    I did not get a text or data plan so any texts or data usage is CRAZY UGLY expensive but I could do it if I want to.

20. Mudsharky

Mudsharky New Member

Re: Really?

I did not get a text or data plan so any texts or data usage is CRAZY UGLY expensive but I can do it when I want to.
    I don't have an account there but if someone had the gumption they could collect my notes from this site and publish them anywhere they like with my blessing!

21. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    For me the text preceded the VM by a few hours and had no mention of the extension. The VM was left on my home phone, not my cell — just as all previous VMs about it. Now waiting for the snail mail to deliver letter #3 :)

22. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Symbian/3; Series60/5.2 NokiaE7-00/013.016; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 BrowserNG/7.2.8.10 3gpp-gba)

I just received letter #3 today. I ditched my landline back in May of 2000 after signing up with the original AT&T. ;)

#52 Blue4Life, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I had a feeling I've seen you mention that. How do you like the E7, BTW? :D

P.S. And why are you still on 13.016?

24. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Symbian/3; Series60/5.2 NokiaE7-00/013.016; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 BrowserNG/7.2.8.10 3gpp-gba)

How do like your N8? I had to go with the E7 because of the physical keyboard and larger display (I can't see as well as I used to). of course, having penta-band 3G capability does give me options. I seem to get a better signal with the E7 than I did with the E70 or E71. ;)

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Better than I expected. I grabbed it because it was quite a bit cheaper than E7 and even though I was skeptical of being able to live with a touch-screen only device, I'm coping quite well. I also feel like it's the best RF I had in a while.

My biggest complaint is the old browser (Qt 4.6). If Nokia ever releases the promised update which will have Qt 4.7-based browser, I'll be a happy camper. Oh, and (unlike Android) my Skype works on AT&T 3G :D