Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T to Cingular Still Problems In Lodi NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Nascar65, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Nascar65

Nascar65 New Member

Great fourm here & if im posting in the wrong area sorry.

My 2 year contract was to end 10/31, I had AT&T Motorola phone. The signal was so bad I couldnt wait to change service. Today I went & picked up 3 new phones from Cingular, the sales girl assured me it was my old AT&T phone only using AT&T towers...lol
    I now have a V551 & (2) V180's. So I sign up knowing I can return them within 30 days.
    I power up & still get a horrible signal in & around my home.

My Questions are..For my location on Union Street in Lodi should I switch to Verizon? Is there any Verizon towers close?

Im thinking of returning the phones & signing up with verizon.
    Any help would be great, I just started a home business & really need a good cell service.
    Opinons are more then welcome!!

Thanks!

2. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Hello!
    Yes, your location is good service with Verizon.
    VZW has a cell site on the Condo Building on the corner of Hunter St & Main (memorial DR), a stone's throw away from Union & Main, & is the only carrier that fills this "hole" well....... Other sites on Essex Street, RT 17 , Garfield, ect fill most of the other Lodi areas .... Give their 15 day trial a try ....
    BTW, CING uses the exact same sites here as the old ATT, CING was on T-mobile up here prior to the merge, .. so your reception really shouldn't have changed much just because you upgraded from an ATT plan/fone ....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Meatchicken is correct. All that "sales girl" told you was just to get a commission on the sale. But she's not going to get it once you cancel. Just a word of caution: Nascar65 said Union St., but did not give an intersection, with that information missing it is hard to say what towers are close by. Although it shouldn't make much difference since Union St. is just a mile long.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 bobolito, Oct 13, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

i've been to that street more than 2 years ago and T-Mobile is weak
    even w/ essex Tower, but this may have change.
    Since a cell tower map claim's t-mobile has a
    Cell Site in 144 Kennedy Dr, Lodi.
    Who knows you really have to try them.
    That's the road that's Flooded in the News last Night.

5. Nascar65

Nascar65 New Member

Thanks.
    I went with Verizon & returned the Cingular phones.
    The signal is fantastic & the phones work great in all parts of my home, My basement office is surrounded by 2 1/2 + thick poured concrete walls with very small windows, Calls came in very clear & everyone commented how good I sound! With all the bad weather I'm very Happy.
    The phone is a Moto E-815, & the wife & daughter have samsung SCH-a630.

Cingular was very understanding & took everything back with a refund. So I still have my old # & a phone I can make calls on.

Now I have to start searching this site to learn the download tricks....lol
    :D

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Glad it works good for you! Don't hesitate to post any other questions you have in the future. :)

7. jones

The news says that river is going to flood again tonight,
    so stay dry.

8. Nascar65

Nascar65 New Member

Im lucky enough to live on the Hasbrouck Heights border. Staying dry up here.
    Thanks for the concern...
    If anyone can Direct me to the Tower site, Id like to see how close I am. Our reception is so good monday Im stripping my landlines down to very basic service.

Thanks

9. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    You have "at least" 2 or 3 sites that may be giving service in your home.
    There is the site on the large Office building on RT17 in Has Hgts / Hackensack .. The Site on the "Marlborough House Condo mentioned at Main & Hunter Streets, & the very top of the Monopole on Essex St Lodi near the Entrance to RT. 80.
    If you find out how to get into your fone's test screens & can check the sector P/N #'s , I can probably tell which site you are on ...... I would guess the Building on 17 if your on the Heights border ... The roof of that Bldg is probably line-of site to your roof .... BTW, 800Mhz & 1900Mhz voice channels, & EV-DO data are all live in these sites.

10. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    For the E815 all you have to do to enable the Test screen is press ##DEBUG and then restart your phone and press menu and the left soft key and you'll be in the phone's debug menu to see the RF strenght, PN offset and Ec/Io, and more.
    Welcome to the Verizon family!

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad to hear that Verizon is working for you at home.

Just be careful, you said here your contract ends on 10/31, if this is 100% true even though you migrated to Cingular Orange, now that you cancelled they most likely will hit you with the ETF on the line(s), I know in the beginning of the merger if you migrated then cancelled within the 30 days they didn't catch this as a ETF, but they supposedly fixed this. Just wanted to make you aware this may happen.

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Shouldn't the rep have told the OP if that was the case then?

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They should have, but she lied to him about the coverage in the 1st place, so being the rep could have been mean or a jerk, and didn't want to let the OP know that this would happen.

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Lol, wouldn't surprise me. Don't get me started on lies a Cingular rep told my friend's family just to get them to sign up. Pathetic it is...:rolleyes:

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I kinda doubt he's getting a signal from that large office building on Rt. 17 because Cingular broadcasts from there too, so in that case he would've gotten a good signal with Cingular as well. If I'm not mistaken, he's near the Motor Vehicle office in Lodi which is near Rt 46.

16. jones

He is getting his Signal from the VZW Rooftop Building Across the
    the Sheraton Hotel on Polifly Rd/Terrace Ave and Route 17
    i think MeatChicken is right.

#16 jones, Oct 15, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  17. jones

If Cingular could Convert that Panel on that Warehouse on Meta Lane it
    would have given him a stronger Signal if he's closer to Main St.
    So i think that is not converted but i'm just guessing.
    But the User is near the Hasbrouck Heights Border which is Boulevard
    then he's Closer to the VZW Rooftop.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Convert what? Cingular has nothing to convert in this area. They've already added GSM to every site and every GSM site is on the Genesis network (410).

19. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    That Meta Lane CING site is going to do little or nothing for people in the Union St areas, & as Bobolito said, this site had 800 & 1900 GSM even before the merge.
    Union St is on the other (South) side of RT 46, while the Meta lane building is North of Rt 46, & is really almost right on top of Rt 17, in a hole, low area of town that always floods, on a relatively "short" building ( perhaps 3 stories up).. Also the Panels are not facing south tword Union anyway ... This site does a good job of covering the nearby Lodi inspection station & surrounding area... (For those interested, the site is off rt 17 south, opposite Home Depot/Wholesale liquidators, a building or 2 behind (south of) West Marine)
    The VZW site further south on the Polifly rd/ Rt 17 building may be the only carrier there w/ a West facing sector, which may explain why this person, a mile or less from that site, @ Union St, has great reception... The CINg panels there don't face west into Lodi, I believe they are North/South following 17, & east.

20. jones

That site is registered to Cellular One, just curious if you had info about that site. Maybe they need one on the Sheraton Hotel, cuz some Hotels like Hilton does.

21. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That has to be wrong. Where did you get that from? There was never a Cellular One in this area. As far as I can remember, before there was even Verizon or AT&T Wireless in this area, they were called MetroOne (which became AT&T Wireless and now Cingular, and also Nynex, which then became Bell Atlantic Mobile which is now Verizon.

22. jones

i can't tell you the source
    but it's there.

23. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Actually, for a very short while they (A carrier), were "Cellular One" here, not as long as they were Metro One or ATT, but I remember the "name switch" in the 1980's , although I forget now if this was before "MetroOne", or after ......

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oh I see....in the 80's I was living not even near this area. ;)

25. jones

Hopefully Cing will do something about this area.
    Just like T-Mobile is showing a New Cell Site on their Dead Zone
    in Teaneck, NJ from their Compass Map.

26. club333

club333 New Member

I live in South Jersey. Is there a web site that shows the Cingular cell towers with their numbers ? For example, where is Cingular Cell Tower #000000 located ?

27. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I believe that would not be available to the public, but is information that only Cingular reps can access at stores. Those maps are available for you to see at stores if you ask for them.

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's right. There is no website on the Internet with such proprietary information. You have to go to a store and they will show you a street-level representation of coverage on their computer. Even so, this won't show you the actual tower locations, but you can take a guess by just looking at the coverage maps.

29. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

I worked site acq for that one over two years ago. T-Mobile was planning to build at the ball field. I don't know what became of it after the plug got pulled on most of the development money.

30. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

I also noticed some other sites I worked on in the database, that may, or may not be built including 75 Church St Lodi, and 60.5 Cherry St in W Orange. http://www.cellreception.com/towers/index.html

It may be possible that T-Mobile filed with the FCC prior to construction, then delayed building.

Let me know if these actually exist - i don't get to that area too often anymore:) .