Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T tdma service in Philly area???

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by LeeM, Dec 27, 2003.

1. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

AT&T tdma service in Philly area???

how's your AT&T tdma been working lately? I"ve been a very happy at&t custmer for about 3 years, (49.99 for 1355 minutes + nw from 8PM + business discount + good coverage everywhere I (!!) go) but since last week it's been horrible. I called them up and they told me they have some ticket open for over a month in some phily zone(s), but they are still investigating... The zones they have problem with are not the zones I have problems in.

Last friday 90% of calls ended up in my voicemail, which I coudn't even check since I was getting fast busy signal 95% of the time that day (lately I'm getting it about 50% of the time).
    To me it sounds like their towers are way overallocated. Seems like they have sold too much of TDMA service in the last few month (or may be something else(?) is overallocating tdma towers??).. I belive they had exactly the same problem a few years back in Northen jersey and New York areas..

DOES ANYONE REALLY BELIVE AT&T IS GOING TO INVEST MONEY IN TDMA MARKET? I called them up and asked them to debit my account for $50 they gave me a few month back for extending my contract. I'm back on month to month now and if the problem doesn't get fixed I'm out. Great plan for the money, but not worth it!!

2. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

I don't think they will be spending money on their TDMA network as far as expanding it. They will focus on building out their GSM network and eventually converting it to GSM 800.

3. jtownsucks46

jtownsucks46 New Member

if it doesn't get better, definitely hit up cdma, sprint or verizon. sprint preferably[​IMG] its extremely good in the philadelphia area and suburbs. I live in the Northeast and I'm out on the Main Line and in Montgomery and Bucks county all the time, it works great!

4. ChadS

ChadS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    AT&T will not be launching GSM 850 in Philadelphia because they don't have the licenses to do so. Cingular and Verizon hold the two cellular licenses for this market. AT&T is continuing to improve their GSM 1900 network here and all work on the TDMA network stopped over a year ago. AT&T GSM is Philadelphia is better than AT&T TDMA and if you want better local service with AT&T you should move to GSM.

5. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Key word being LOCAL service. AT&T GSM kicks ___ in the Philly metro area and most suburbs.

If you spend most of your time within This Area (covered with towers) you will have no problems with GSM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    DAMN...talk about tower coverage. Yeah,. you should have NO problems with them there.

7. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    actually, i think att has been shuting off/degrading some of the TDMA signals on purpose in order to push for GSM...

8. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

I would probably agree with this. But they are not offering their GSM service on old TDMA plans. So, in my case they are going to loose a customer... Cingular GSM is most likely better then ATTs in philly area and the plans are seem to be much better (in my case).

9. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    well when u call ATT asking them why the service is sucking, they tell you some BS reason and then try to market you a GSM phone.....

10. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

I did twice and both times the call got droped [​IMG]
    I sent them an email instead, mentioning that, hoping their email service is more reliable then wireless [​IMG]
    Anyways, I'll end my contract if they don't fix it. Unfortunatly there is no better plans then what I have out there right now. I also have tmobile service, which I'm paying only $10 for (family plan) so I'll check them out in the next few weeks. Also, I've heard tmobile is comming out with very good new deals this month.. something like $39.99 for 1000 whenever + 3 day weekend or unlimitted nw (or maybe even both). I just don't know if I can rely on tmobile GSM-only service.... dont want to be stock with no service at all.
    I might go with GSM/TDMA from Cingular or ATT. Verizon is a little too pricy for plans over 1000 minutes.

11. RichXKU

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    AT&T GSM is better than their TDMA in the area I highlighted above. T-mobile has holes here and there, but I can't complain about their service in the immediate area either.
    Stay away from Cingular. Their GSM is the classic "1900 over 850" overlay, and they haven't turned on any 850 control channels yet, only traffic channels. Their TDMA is at capacity already in quite a few areas.

It's a shame Sprint's network can't get out of it's own way, they have excellent coverage, but the most dropped calls I've ever experienced in Philly & suburbs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    there is a new AT&T cell site mounted on a telephone pole on route 23 and Lafayette Road in Gladwyne. Likely GSM only.

13. RichXKU

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Yeah I guarantee it's GSM only. Interesting placement though, it's only 1.3 miles SE of Site 75 and 1.3 miles NW of Site 78.

14. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    -----------------------
    There are lots of hills around there and 10 million dollar estates, perhaps a big cheese wanted his phone to work better.