Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T sucks

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by TheFirst, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikecar

nikecar New Member

I'm in FL... I'm assuming the NYPSC is in NY and only for new Yorkers.. Unfortunately our state has just cut back our own Division of Consumer Affairs so now there really isn't an avenue to complain to.

Oh well.

I'm really tempted to port to Verizon, decide i don't want it, then port back to ATTWS as a "new customer" during the 2 week trail period. I was told I couldn't do that, but does anyone here know if that works?

2. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    If you come back to AT&T within a certain period of time i forget i think its 3 or 6 months they will only reinstate your old account yuo will not be a new customer nor will you be eligible for those discounts....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ctennyson

Ctennyson New Member

From time to time, Reps are allowed to match offers, including online offers, competitors offers, etc. Further, AT&T Reps are empowered to pretty much do anything thats common sense, to improve a customers experience.

Which isnt to say every rep goes above and beyond, but lots do, and will, if you phrase things properly, and if you get the rep on your side. If a rep believes you have been wronged, they WILL fix it. If they think you are trying to take advantage of them...

4. nikecar

nikecar New Member

That's what I heard and feared.

5. nikecar

nikecar New Member

Which is why I'm always polite to begin with. Depends on how the rep's responses go during the convo that determines if I get perturbed or not. Usually not. However, normally with ATT when I've gone nice I've been slammed hard with rudiness and lousy service. Sometimes squeeky wheels get oiled, but it seems even with ATT they just let the squeeky wheel stay squeeky. Shame.

Already contacted our State Verizon Account Rep... nice deals on their phones now, plus 5% discount on plans.

6. TheFirst

TheFirst New Member

OK, so here's the next chapter in my fight with AT&T Wireless. All day today I had sporatic service, when I place a call a few minutes later it gets dropped, get no network signal and when I call AT&T (by dialing 611) the voice menu goes on a loop, not responding to my verbal command. Finally, I get through, wait like 20 minutes speak to someone to tell them about the phone, and the rep tells me I can 1) replace the phone (once again), like its the phone and not their service, or 2) pay full-price for a phone (which new customers get at a discount). I get annoyed and ask when my contract expires, and get this, the rep tells me AT&T has me down for a 2 year contract!! Naturally, I yelled and asked what the hell is going down there, but luckliy in order for them to have you as a 2 year contract they need a signed docuement, which I never gave them.

So, what do you think is going on down at AT&T headquarters?? Is it good business practice to shun your loyal customers to get new ones?? I would think my monthly bills would be more finacally stable then signing on a few new customers.

7. wickkedwun

wickkedwun New Member

TheFirst,

Why did you buy the SE 226 in the first place!?!?! If youve been around here you probably know of SE's poor RF.. Although I agree that's no excuse, have you tried reasoning!?!? maybe go into a local store and pick up a referb gsm phone to get you buy for like $20 bucks.. BTW every carrier is the same w/ the before X amount of time you must pay full cost.. BTW nice subject line, I know at my store we go great lengths to help a customer out, but we are held to corp policies.. which Ive worked at 3 corp carriers stores, and pretty much all the same.. Seriously try being reasonable with the care rep..

8. TheFirst

TheFirst New Member

Hey, I had no idea that the SE 226 was this bad. One thing I can do is switch back to TDMA service, and see what phone I can get with that.

I will not pay full-price for a phone. I should not have to. BTW, ever find it strange that when you migrate from TDMA to GSM your contract gets extended from the date you signed onto GSM, so isn't that like a new contract?? And isn't a new contract like a new customer?? Anyone see where i'm going with this??

9. dallison

dallison Senior Member

typically se is horrible. take it back as long as its w/in 30 days and try a nokia product

esentially you are an existing customer, you are staying with the same company and just going to a newer product. you have to go with a new contract 1st b/c you are getting a discount on the handset since u don't wanna pay full price and 2nd you are taking all the promos of a gsm plan and not a tdma one. even if it is the same plan you had before, refer to the 1st reason.

10. dallison

dallison Senior Member

dunno what would happen there. you may not have service for a while
    you would have to report back to awe

11. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    A new customer is someone who comes on board with a new number, not an existing customer who simply starts a new agreement....And going forth AT&T doesnt require you sign anything to be bind to a two year agreement,,,its all verbal now theres a 1800 num you call now to agree to 2 years, but your contract may default back to when you were required to sign on the dotted line...in any case if they have you down for a 2 year agreement it will be next to impossible to get that changed ..Also Care keep event notes on every call you make to them and they do review your history of call ins and there content so if you get rude with them...they will document it and when you call back in the next rep usually already knws your history and will be negative sometimes toward you....i do not agree with alot of there policeys but its fact , sorry not what you wanted to hear...ive seen alot of people credit affected this way due to customer cancelling not paying fees and going out to collections and this biting them in th a$$ later....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. nikecar

nikecar New Member

ATT rep said I was basically doing new service, not upgrading, if I jumped from TDMA to GSM. Tried to get him to document what he said but he wouldn't.

13. CellPhoneJunkie2

CellPhoneJunkie2 New Member

No, that's because they're using NeuStar, the company that's managing the Number Portability Administration Center, the organization responsible for notifying all the telcos that your particular number needs to be routed to your new carrier. (Up to now, you could tell what wireless carrier someone used by the area code and prefix.)

I don't see any value in everyone using TSI. I've been trying to port a Verizon number to T-Mobile for ages now. They both use TSI. You'd think planning a trip to Mars would be easier.

14. Treasureshell

Treasureshell Member

My Phone:
    LG Chocolate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vzw
    Yet another story on AT&T, looks like they really need to get their act together. [​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reuters
    CORRECTED - US CREDIT-AT&T Wireless may be dialing for trouble
    Thursday December 11, 11:23 am ET

In 10 December NEW YORK story headlined "US CREDIT-AT&T Wireless may be dialing for trouble," in paragraph 11, please read, ... Fulcrum Global Partners, an independent research firm... instead of ... Fulcrum Global Partners, a boutique investment bank... (Corrects nature of the firm's business.)

A corrected repetition follows.

By Dan Wilchins

NEW YORK, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Credit markets have a message for AT&T Wireless (NYSE:AWE - News): it may get worse.

When consumers were allowed to start switching mobile phone carriers without changing their numbers at the end of November, AT&T Wireless became the industry leader in a decidedly undesirable area: complaints about switching services.

More than half of the consumer complaints regarding switching cellular operators over the last two weeks came from AT&T Wireless, the Federal Communications Commission (News - Websites) said on Tuesday. The FCC is reviewing the complaints.

The company said on Wednesday that it has cleared most of the backlog in customer switching requests, and some analysts remain fairly sanguine about the company.

"It sounds like it's a one-time event," said Matt Bartlett, a telecom fixed-income analyst at Banc of America Securities (News - Websites) in Charlotte, North Carolina.

But some credit derivatives traders were a little more concerned on Wednesday, driving up the cost of insuring the company's debt against default.

AT&T Wireless' credit quality could deteriorate more as consumers grow more wary about signing up with a company perceived as providing poor service, traders said.

Just six weeks ago the company suffered a customer-service blow when a massive software glitch prevented some new customers from setting up service and stymied existing clients from changing plans.

"Fundamentally, the company has some problems," a trader said.

Last quarter, AT&T Wireless had more trouble holding onto customers than many of its competitors did.

Fulcrum Global Partners, an independent research firm, said in a recent report AT&T Wireless does not work hard enough to keep customers when their contracts are due to expire. Fulcrum said the mobile phone operator's reputation may still suffer from gripes about poor network coverage back in the mid-1990s.

Number portability may only add to AT&T Wireless's troubles, analysts said.

Fulcrum's analysts still rated the company's stock a "buy" in late November. But some credit derivatives traders are less positive on the company's debt and reckon it's time to take a negative view by buying protection on the company defaulting.

Credit default spreads on AT&T Wireless widened by about 5 basis points on Wednesday to roughly 92 basis points, or $92,000 a year for $10 million of default protection over five years.

But that spread could be closer to 100 in a month or two, a trader said, as investors grow more concerned about the current brouhaha. A second trader reckoned the spread could widen to the 110-basis point range.

As for many companies, AT&T Wireless' spreads have been driven narrower in recent weeks by investors desperately seeking securities that offer better returns in a low-yielding environment. And very few expect the company to default in the near term.

However, as one trader said of the company's credit spreads: "It's only going wider from here."

15. MarcoLA

MarcoLA New Member

I have seen the Devil and his T-shirt read AT&T.

I have been trying to change my mobile number from ATT to T-mobile for a week and have been told that AT&T is backlogged with requests. Now, Friday the 12th, I have been told that AT&T is not processing requests at this time because of computer problems..."try again next week." This is absurd. AT&T is clearly panicking because of the huge number of subscibers jumping ship. It is time for the courts to get involved. They must determine whether or not the behaviour of AT&T is fraudulent.

16. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Call the Media were you live and complain about the a=fat that even after the FCC started paying attention ATT is still messing up.

Call the FCC.

ATT MUST BE MADE TO PAY.

17. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    AT&T has responded to the delays and is trying to handle it, no there not being fraudulent..the delays were for reasons for there Vendor Nightfire siting delays and glitchs in there system and some other company's software the were using crashed ....Wether this is true or not ATT did take a sizable hit with Porters out as well did Sprint, but they arent making your port difficult intentionally this i know....Yes AT&T isnt fairing well this quarter and probably will further decline next year.........

18. TheFirst

TheFirst New Member

Tino, AT&T switched over to the Siebel software without properly testing it, so why should the customers have to suffer?? And we're not talking a month or so of bad/failed system crashes, we're talking monthS. So naturally, all the customers want to leave AT&T as soon as possible. I think MarcoLA should take NYCDru's advice and contact either FCC or his local news team. AT&T is one of the only major-six wireless carrier that isn't using TSI Connections services for switching customers between rivals, how come??

I called AT&T about my GSM problems and they keep blaming the phone. Like all the phones i've gotten are to be blamed. Then when I asked my contract expires they tell me they have me down as a 2 year contract!! When I NEVER agreed to that. Luckily for me, they need a signed document before they can make it legal, but what if they didn't need that?? Then i'd be stuck in a 2 year contract which I would NEVER agree to.

19. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    Do what ever you like o.k., call whomever whatever makes you feel better , it will do nothing to solve your problem, everyone wants to give you unrealistic advice..but in the end your still going to be a dissatisfied ATT customer...As far a siebel goes there havent been any issues in a while and the time of pointing fingers as to who launched what too soon wether ATT did or the system crashed upon launch stop whining!! ATT doesnt require you to sign for two year agreements anymore and if your on one and didnt reqest a twoyear then somebody abviously screwd up...This has happened to me before, ive used just about every carrier there is and if a carrier messes with me the way they have with u then id cancel and pay the fee just to say FU! to that carrier opposed to riding the remainder of the contract out complaining...take whom evers advice here you wish but in the end your gonna be right where you are now....Im no advocate for ATT by any means, infact i cannot stand them but come on guy... Dont worry ATT will pay, they are losing may subscribers and there add on subscribers is dropping dramatically! I give ATT wireless another year before a major aquistion is made to bail them out.....Gsm is terrible and the TDMA legacy network has gone down hill since GSM launch.......

20. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have to agree with tino on this one. I didn't have customer sevie issues with ATT but their TDMA coverage in the Lehigh Valley (PA) and western NJ has gone downhill. My wife was not able to receive or make calls at the homes where she treats so we decided to switch. Seven and nine days later we were finally able to port our numbers to Verizon. ATT had no answers for us except their system was down. Right now i am very happy that we left ATT since it is becoming obvious that they care very little about customer service. I was at the end of my contract in February and the only reason I stayed was to take advantage of the number portablility. Since you are still under contract and are obviously unhappy, I would pay the early termination fee and leave ATT (take your number with you of course). Making more phone calls and threats will not help since the CSR are numb to all of this. Verizon and is running some nice deals on their phones, Cingular has the rollover minutes, etc. Why waste time dealing with a compnay that doesn't care about you? I know it is $175 but how much would it be if you were to pay your monthly rate for the remainder of the contract? Now multiply that 5 to account for the anger and stress you'll have each day because you are still with ATT.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

21. nysteve

nysteve New Member

I posted an email on another thread about ATT and will summarize here.

I do not work for ATT and hold no stock; I have been a subscriber for over six years, but have blind spots where I work and where I live and decided to try Verizon and selected Nokia 3589i's.

Last Sunday, December 7, my wife and I ported a number from ATT to Verizon and added another number for a family plan. We canceled a second ATT number with no problems from ATT.
    ATT ported the number within four hours and may have done it sooner but I had the phone off. There was a message from Verizon with no time stamp telling me that the phone would work for both incoming and outgoing calls when I turned it on, and it did.

Maybe my experience is an exception.

Every company has problems, maybe ATT has more than their share.

22. dallison

dallison Senior Member

this is where you are wrong but right. awe now has an IVR # so the cust calls and agrees to the 2 year contract. the cust must call this # or the promos will not stay on the acct.

some stores use the paper contract b/c it is quicker. if you want a copy of this i believe it can be sent to you. a copy of what u signed

23. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    The call in # was not implemented until a couple months ago..They probably put him on the two year before the call in 2 year took place...in any case what a pain this is going to be...

24. if you really want to kno

For those of you who are not happy with AT&T Wireless. Here is what you do.

1) Stop using 1 of the cell phones on your account for about 2 weeks.

2)Then have a family member or the other spouse call in that is not the Primary account holder. That person must know the name of the Primary account holder and be able to verify the last 4 #'s of the primary's Socical Security # or Password if the account has one.

3)Then you tell the rep that the account holder has passed away and you need to cancel the account. If they ask you if you want to make a payment just say no that there was no money left to cover the account holders debt. That you where out of pocket on funeral expenses.

4)If it is all done right by the rep then they have canceled your account and made it so that the account will not be refer to a collection company or reported against the account holders credit. You will not retain your # if you switch to another carrier.

25. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    This thread is about 5 years old. And now it is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.