Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T Somerset County NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Jerseyphoneguy, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Jerseyphoneguy

Jerseyphoneguy Junior Member

I got to my office this morning in Bridgewater and noticed my signal seemed a lot stronger than usual - a full 6 bars inside the building instead of the usual 3 or 4. Did ATT turn on 850 in Somerset County? I also noticed that Cingular roaming is still not available here.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular is a skeleton of a network in Somerset because that area only shares with T-Mobile. Basically, there is no native Cingular there. I doubt turning on roaming on Cingular will help at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

maybe AWE activated a cell site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have noticed in the last couple of day's my signal strength has increased in some area's also. It is possible they have turned up 850 in area's of the state. :D

5. jones

Filling in coverage gaps is a continuous process. Some carriers just don't make a noise about it, since they are catching up. From what i heard ATTWS is mostly doing it where Cingular does not have a License.

Most people think this is already their coverage. They are dead wrong, while it may not improve in their area; it is being done in other places.

6. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It makes sense that they keep building in area's that Cingular doesn't have coverage since if the merger goes thru, Cingular will need those area's, especially in area's like North Jersey, NYC, CA & NV so they don't need to roam as much and being AWE has the 850 in these area's the coverage will get better. And now that Cingular has finished there buildout and have talked about working on the weaker area's the stratagy is a good thing. And if the merger didn't go thru for some bad reason, then AWE will have the coverage anyhow for there customers. Either way it's a win win situation.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ...."if the merger didn't go thru?" What a blasphemy!! We'd see Vodafone again trying to "bring their name across the atlantic".

If the merger doesn't go through I don't see Cingular having any future whatsoever.

8. jones

Then Cingular will keep paying ATTWS roaming or continue w/ T-Mobile Network sharing. T-Mobile still keeps building but they have a lot to cover in rural places.

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am just worried about the FCC & DOJ coming up with some boneheaded reason for not allowing it.

10. warriorfootball9

warriorfootball9 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    Does the FCC have reason to stop the merger? and if they did then why?

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If anything they can claim that competition may be harmed. I don't see what other excuse they can come up with.