Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

At&T Service Question

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Thomas B Young, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Thomas B Young

Thomas B Young New Member

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, formerly with Cingular One and Verizon
    Hello, I'm thinking of going with At&T and was wondering how there Signal Strength, Customer Service and anything else pertinent in making my decision in joining them. Looking for Pro's and Con's from current customers.

Currently I'm with Alltel and the signal strength and customer service is good. I had Verizon wireless before and they had no towers in my area of Crystal River Florida. Also part of the reason for my switching is that I'm considering on getting the Apple iPhone. Thanks for any help and direction that you can give to me. Thomas34461:D

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Thomas, I think ALLTEL is a great company, they have great Customer Service and great pricing/options and coverage. IF ALLTEL were in my area I would most definitely be using them. That's my opinion.
    If you want to try at&t, try them before porting your number over.

3. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I agree with Andy, you should at least try at&t before porting out your number. I don't think there are any regular users on here from your area, and most visitors to FL stick to the interstate, but you should be able to pick up a GoPhone relatively cheaply to test their signal. It's really hard to give advice on what signal is like unless somebody has been there.

Also make sure you do all your research on the iPhone to make sure that it's worth it. There's a lot of attention paid to it, but there have also been a lot of complaints if you do your research because of its shortcomings, phone price, and the plan price. Here is one article among many online that lists a few points. It is a very nice phone, and only you can decide if the price is worth what you get and if you'll be happy with it for two years, but I would wait a year or two until the next iPhone is released that should be 3G capable, if At&t has 3G in your area. It's just like a few things were left off, to make a newer, improved model in a year, and now the phone has been out almost a year. Myself, I would rather have a PPC6800 which is a better phone imo that's EVDO capable.

4. Thomas B Young

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Andy, I agree with everything you say, ALLTEL is a great company. Thats why I'm still keeping the service with them while I do try out At&T. The phone that I have with them now, the "MOTORAZR" I had to replace twice because of water damage. Don't ask me how the phones got damaged with water. I kept them in my case and when it did rain I put the phones in a pocket so there would be less chance of drops of water getting near the phones. Still I would find out that the inside of the phone would show a "White Dot" turning into a "Red Dot" signalizing water damage. Even though I carried the insurance for them I still had to put out some money to replace them. I really do like Alltel as they are a great company. I had Verizon Wireless before them and had lousy service with them. They had no towers near me and I was considered as being in a "Dead Zone". In fact The county that I live in, Citrus County Florida quit selling them because of weak tower strength.

So the only reason I'm trying out At&T is because of the iPhone. I like the features of this phone. The drawbacks of this phone that I feel I will explain in another post. I will be testing this iPhone from APPLE in the period that they are giving me which is only 14 DAYS and not the standard 30 days in which At&T or any other service providers gives. I couldn't find a phone that I liked like the IPhone at Alltel. However I'm not quitting them before I do check out this new phone and will have to do it fast because of the 14 days. Thanks :headscrat

5. Thomas B Young

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thanks UFO. I went in the At&T store and asked them about the edge network -vs- the 3G network and was told that only in Orlando and Gainesville Florida had the 3G Network, and that Edge network would be OK for me to use. I will see about this during the 14 days that they are giving me.

I got the phone yesterday afternoon. Can you imagine the lady that sold it to me didn't turn it on or give a phone number! I didn't think of it till I got home!! That's crazy :loony: during the 14 day period!

Anyway you have raised up some good questions for me to ask them about fro your post. I did ask the saleslady if in fact at a later time in date that my area would turn into a 3G area would my phone (iPhone) be upgraded. She told me yes. Still going to check that out by talking to the higher ups from At&T. From what I learned yesterday is that they lowered the cost and quit selling the less powered iPhone. Getting back to your post that you sent to me it has risen some questions for me to consider during this trial period. I'm glad to get them now and not after my 14 day period!! Thanks again. I will keep you informed with my decision and what I hear from At&T and Apple. :)

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thomas, As others have mentioned the iPhone is not a 3G phone and at this the time the existing ones can not be upgraded to 3G. The devices that onlt have EDGE will always work in in the EDGE mode in a 3G area but will be on a slower data transfer rate.

I have also heard that the iPhone has a 10% restocking charge, so maybe you can check on that too.

If you are happy with the iPhone and what you will be using it for then the fact it has no 3G doesn't matter. My personal preference will be to go with a 3G phone.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I have relatives in FL, and was just there 2 weeks back, Fl does have a reasonable build out of 3G, so I am not sure what the rep meant by just Orlando & Gainsville.

Just My 2 cents.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Thomas B Young

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hello Charlyee, Thanks for your response. Yeah now that I made the purchase of the iPhone and they didn't even activate it, and coming home and reading what "UFO" sent to me about the phone makes me wonder if I did the right thing in buying it. Forget the normal 30 day try out. Apple only gives 14 days!!

When I went in the store I made it a point to ask about the Edge Network and the 3G Network. I was led to believe according to her words that when it became available I would be able to download it to my phone. You do state that "at this the time the existing ones can not be upgraded to 3G." I rather tend to believe you as you have no stake in any commission fee.

Now as far as what she was talking about the 3G being only in Orlando and Gainesville Florida. I tend to think she was saying that those two cities which are huge cities compared to mine have 3G. Not sure what Citrus County has a far as a network. I think what we do have would be faster then the Edge too.

I really like the features that the iPhone has, but do not wish do have one that is slow! Right now I'm feeling a little frustrated :help: and thinking of just going back and taking it back. I haven't used it either:(

Thanks, Thomas

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Volusia county (Daytona Beach) is 3G as well. I'm quite sure I had 3G service when I was down there over the summer.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I checked your city on the At&t map and 3G is not available there. At&t is supposedly investing most of its money now to increase 3G coverage areas to catch up to Sprint, Alltel, and Verizon. The map also shows Tampa as having it in addition to Orlando, Gainesville, and Miami. But even if it is added to your area, as charlyee mentioned, the iPhone is not a 3G phone. Even in a 3G area it will run on Edge because of the hardware inside the phone. And to back up that statement in contradiction to what the salesperson told you, here is a link to the iphone tech specs: Apple - iPhone - Tech Specs
    Under 'Wireless Data' it lists WiFi, EDGE, and Bluetooth.

But if you've already got the phone, test it out. See how it does. You now know very well the price of the plan and phone as well as how coverage is. See if you're happy with data speeds and the functionality of the phone and let us know what you think! :) If you like a lot of aspects of the phone but don't like the slower data speeds, you may want to think about waiting for the next model of iPhone or you may even want to think about a trial period with the PPC 6800 with alltel, which already has high-speed EVDO data in your area for a little less than the iPhone. And it also has a lot of the same features just not the apple logo.

10. Thomas B Young

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: At&T Service Question Answered! And still seeking!

Hello All. Just to update you all. I did go with the iPhone to try out. They only gave me 14 days to try it out too! Didn't need the 14 days because where I live it listed it has No Service. So I took it back and they charged me a 10 buck fee to restock the phone. [U}Buyers Beware!{/U}

Then I went to Verizon Wireless and purchased there Voyager™ by LG Phones today. That phone has only one bar showing for tower strength in my (Citrus County Florida 34461) area. So needless to say thats going back tomorrow.

So now I'm thinking that I should stay with Alltel because the service is good. Just wanted that type of iPhone type of phone. So I hear now that there is this one phone that they do sell there called a "HTC PPC6800". With Windows Mobile 5.0 OS, 2 MP camera with video, Wi-Fi capable, and the Bluetooth® wireless technology. Anybody know how good this HTC phone is because I never heard from them. I did on LG, Motorola, Samsung and etc.

Thanks everybody, Thomas :):rolleyes:

11. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

I have an HTC Tilt and I love it. HTC has been in the phone/PDA manufacturing business a while, but most often their devices are rebranded and sold under other names, For example, my old HP iPAQ hw6515 was not made by HP, but it was actually made by HTC. Most often their devices are sold under the carrier's name. HTC is not something to shy away from and be scared of because you never heard of it. My Tilt gets just as good reception as my Motorola phones do. Its nice to not have to carry around a spare phone just for low signal areas.

-Jay

12. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile

If AT&T didn't work for you, and the Verizon signal at your house was weak, it probably is best to stay with ALLTEL, who you know provides you with great coverage. At least you can say you tried, right. :D

13. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I would agree with Jay in saying that HTC makes a quality product in the PPC6800. It is the most similar option to the iPhone that alltel has. I was actually very close to getting one of these myself and from all the reading up on it I did, it picks up a signal very well, far better than a Treo, and has a lot of good features on it. Many online reviews make many similar comparisons between it and the iPhone. It will play mp3s and videos and it actually does pick up high-speed EVDO on alltel in your area. WM 6 rather than 5 is included in models being sold now also. Best part of all is that you'll actually be able to use it though! :p

14. Thomas B Young

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: At&T Service Question - UPDATE

Hello again everyone, Though by now I would have been finished testing phones! I was pretty sure that the HTC PPC6800 would be a keeper for me. Had everything I wanted in a phone too. Except the fact the speaker is real small and I couldn't hear the ringer when somebody was calling me. Talked to the sales reps at the Alltel store and was told that others were not happy with the ringer volume. So I took it back and back using my old phone. Not for long though, I have heard from both HTC and Alltel that in January they are bringing out a new phone by HTC called the "Touch Phone". So I'm waiting for that to hit the market. :)