Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T sales tax fee in CA

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by Mistyblu, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistyblu

Mistyblu New Member

Hello I just found this site in my roaming search of wireless phones. I was looking for the amount of wireless phone companies that may be in my area. Reason being , I had just gotten off the phone with At&t customer service about some billing inquiries. What I found out shocked and infuriated me. I am hoping someone can put this finding in perspective as I still do not see how or why they do it. I upgraded 3 phones. 2 of them upgraded to motorolas tundras 1 upgrade to a Samsung Galaxcy. The 2 tundra's were free, while the Galaxcy was $177.99.. When I recieved the phones today with the packing slip with the fee's on it, I noticed they charged taxes on the 2 free tundras $64.74 and on the Galaxcy $44.62! I was like, what is this?
    How can you charge tax on free stuff? and the tax on $177.99 didnt equal $44.62 so I called At&t up. I was then informed that...In the state of California...even if the phones are free, there is still a tax on the whole unit value, NOT THE UNIT OR SALE PRICE! That means even if a phone is on sale, like mine was the $177.99...they didnt tax me on the 177.99, they taxed me on the whole unit price $499.99!! I was stunned! But they kept saying "It's YOUR STATES POLICY" so its californias fault! I tried every which way to get this reversed by not successfull. Any body out there have had the same thing happen or know about this tax thing?? thanks

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Re: At&t sales tax fee

This is California state law, and it's idiotic, in my opinion. There's nothing AT&T can do about it.

The only recourse you have is to contact your state representative, but with the economic mess this state is in, the sales tax law on cell phones is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Mike is correct. CA law requires retailers to collect sales tax on the full retail value of the products, not on any discounted price.

As far as I know, CA is the only state that does this.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The only way around it that I can see is hold off upgrading until you take a trip out of the state, and upgrade at an AT&T store outside of California.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Take a road trip north to Oregon where they don't have any sales tax.

6. Mistyblu

Mistyblu New Member

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them. We had thought about driving out of state, to Nevada where relatives are ,but just couldnt make it that far right now. It is really frustrating because The State of California IS raping Californian's every which way they can and there's not a daym thing we can do about it except do what thousands of other Cally's have done....Move!

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    How about having your out of state relatives buy the phones, but not activate them. Just have them mail the phones to you, and just put your SIM cards in them once they arrive.

8. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Is it really worth a trip to another state to save $30.00 on sales taxes? The gasoline cost would be twice that amount.

9. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you live in Crescent City, California it's no big deal to go up to Oregon (where they don't have any sales tax) and buy whatever you need with no sales tax charged. People in northern California likely go to Oregon to buy lots of stuff. Same as people who live in Vancouver, Washington across the Columbia river from Portland often go to buy stuff in Portland. Of course you wouldn't go just to get prepaid refill cards there's probably lots of other things that they would go to a sales tax free place to get stuff as well. $30 is $30 savings.

10. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The Original Poster lives near Oakland California, so a trip to Oregon, Nevada or Arizona is not worth expense.

11. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It just says California for his location. How was I supposed to know where in California?

12. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
  13. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sorry, I'm not that interested in a post to research every detail about the person who posted including their ZIP code.

14. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    California is a large state so it's not like Delaware or Rhode Island where other states are a few miles away.

15. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you look at a map of the United States every state except Alaska and Hawaii have borders with other states and it's really very conceivable that some people may live near those borders.

16. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The original poster ordered the phones online to get a better price. The additional amount charged by brick and mortar locations would have outweighed the amount charged for California sales taxes.

17. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The OP has not been on WA since December 12 and the lasts few posts have not contributed anything to the original question/concern.

I believe it is time to close this thread out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.