Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T or Verizon - my area is/was divested

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by IMSassafras, Jul 26, 2010.

1. IMSassafras

IMSassafras New Member

My Phone:
    LG Accolade
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am with Alltel right now and have been for 3 years. Before that, Verizon. My contract is up in August and my area is one of those that is/were "divested". Along with the title of "Divested", I also got live-person-service from only one Alltel store, the one I originally set-up my contract with. This little fine-print feature came in handy for some corporate big-wigs, but not the desperate I-need-service-now customer. Especially if that person was 500 miles away from the only office that could get into their account... been there, done that... just last year, btw.

Now, I am planning a 2000+ mile trip to Arizona this winter. I need a company that is going to service me on the road.

I like Verizon when I was with them years ago. When I first got my cell phone, I tried to get AT&T, but my tendency to travel outside of their area didn't attract them, so they said, "Go some where else." Verizon it was. It could be different now, I don't know.

So, AT&T or Verizon? Or does Alltel have their head on straight now and renewing my contract with them in my better interest?

So many questions...

Warmly,

Sassafras

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You would be fine with either AT&T or Verizon. With all of the mergers the two have done, they've pretty much got most of the country covered.

As part of the divested Alltel, are you with the AT&T divested portion or the ATN (Allied) portion (which will retain the Alltel name)? It may not matter at this point since your contract is up next month. If you are in the AT&T portion, the changeover won't happen until they've built out their GSM-based network over the former Alltel portions. This won't be the case next month.

Your best bet is to check out Verizon and AT&T''s sites and see what works best for you. Heck, even Sprint might be an option. Sprint is cheaper than the other two, but it depends on what your needs and financial limits are.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IMSassafras

IMSassafras New Member

My Phone:
    LG Accolade
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey Mobile Mike,

Thanks the the quick reply. I will check Sprint out. Surprisingly, AT&T family plans look a bit better than Verizon. I'll talk to the Alltel people too.

Thanks again.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You're welcome. ;)

Let us know how it all works out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. IMSassafras

IMSassafras New Member

My Phone:
    LG Accolade
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Update:

It looks as though I'm going with AT&T and one of their family plans. No big surprises there.

What phone do I get is the problem. The Razrs seem to be out of here, so what to do?! For three years, the Motorola Razrs have been doing all three of us well. My husband and I have had a flip phone for as long as we have had cell phones. (The third phone was added just three years ago for my mom.) The flip-phone concept seems to be out of here as well. What the...? But they were the most durable!!

Anyway... These smartphones look cool, but you can't stick one in your pocket with a bunch of change and car keys without screwing up the screen. But I think that is the way of the world. And I don't have a figin' clue which ones to buy or stay away from. And the prices! AT&T offers many refurbished phones, but I have no interested. I have no problem paying some money for a phone, but not an arm and a leg.

This is what I know. I need Bluetooth, my husband needs Internet for weather and sports (go Tigers and Lions), and my mom just needs something basic. What we find interesting is 3G, Wi-Fi, and "Streaming Radio"!?! which I have no idea if you can listen to sports with this feature, but that would be awesome. Can you? (And if I got into texting (gag) my mom every once in awhile, it wouldn't kill me... or maybe it would.)

OK. That's the update. I hope someone can give me some ups and downs on some phones. Thank you.

Sass

BTW, I talked to Alltel a couple of weeks ago, and they said that the merger wouldn't be happening for about 6 months. Which I took as a just another avoidance, but no matter. I still have to change services before we go to AZ.

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Since you mentioned that the hubby uses some data, a data plan would be appropriate since pay-per-KB charges can add up quickly. AT&T seems to only offer unlimited data packs for basic and "quick-messaging" phones. For Smartphones, it's $15 for 200MB (very paltry for a smartphone, may be doable if on a BlackBerry) or $25 for 2GB. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting a smartphone with a 200MB allowance. Perhaps if the hubby got a BlackBerry, he could make make do with the data. If

For Mom, I would suggest a basic Nokia flip phone, like the 6350. Like you, I am skittish when it comes to refurbished phones. I wouldn't get a basic used phone free with a contract when I can get a new basic phone free with the same contract ;) The 2720 may be an option. However, it reminds me of the older 2760 which is cheaply made and sounds horrible. The Pantech Breeze II is also an option. I never used a Pantech, so I have no opinion on it. I would also say to run away from the low-end Samsung and LG flip phones.

Since you seem to be only an occasional texter, I would pay per message (or get a $5 text bundle if you send 20+ messages) and just get a basic phone that doesn't have a $$$ requirement on it.

I have had only a prepaid experience, but I can say that Nokia phones were the best for me in reception. Picked up better (and sounded better) than a Sony Ericsson and Samsung I used. I know quite a few iPhone users who are happy with their service, but they got their unlimited data plans before the new insane plans took effect.

I hope this helps some...

7. IMSassafras

IMSassafras New Member

My Phone:
    LG Accolade
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    TY, Quint101 for your information. It may look as though I didn't take your post as sound advice when you read my final decision because I actually did things you said not to do. The biggest thing for me, I really wanted to go cheap and I didn't want to be surprised when it came to my bill each month. All the new gadgets and add-ons cell phone companies are offering right now are just too over-the-top for my simple phone needs. Though, I think Smartphones are nice and iPhones are the wave of the future, it all came down to dollars and cents.

Final Decision:

I went with Verizon (which I waited until the last possible moment) and got the cheap phones LG offered - LG VX5400. I got the 1400 minute plan though we are using less than half of the allowance. And my husband has internet access. I did this ALL over the phone when I was in AZ.

Now, there are contract details I have to settle with Verizon (some sort of phone(s) equipment charge of $159 and no contract?)... posting THIS info/questions/request in appropriate topic area.

TY everyone for your help and support.
    _______
    Just Me
    Sass

8. IMSassafras

IMSassafras New Member

My Phone:
    LG Accolade
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My bad... I don't have LG VX5400s, I have LG Accolades. Not that big of an oops, but still.
    ______
    ME

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Oh ok... the LG phones on Verizon are pretty solid. I used a 3300 that still works... and that was from 5 years ago. I have the Accolade on my prepaid account and it isn't bad at all. It picks up signal than my HTC. I am just glad that you didn't get a cheap Samsung ... :)