Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT & T or Verizon for Eastern Mass and Travel

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Waycole, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Waycole

Waycole New Member

AT & T or Verizon for Eastern Mass and Travel

I am hoping someone can give me a little advice on cell service and phones. I am not to sure what service I should go with. I live in eastern Mass and have an AT & T phone now with regional coverage, I have been satisfied with the service I get with them in this area. But I will be traveling frequently for my job in other areas of the US(Tennessee, New York, Georgia, Luoisiana, Oklahoma, Virginia and Florida). Now I am torn between staying with AT&T and getting the Allure phone with the national coverage plan or switching to Verizon and getting the Motorola V60 phone. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. And thank you in Advance.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello Waycole and welcome,

At the bottom of your post, you will notice an "Edit" option. Please edit your message and add the metro areas you will be traveling to/within. It will help respondants determine which options may be best.

I live in Northern California and am the owner/moderator of the Panasonic Allure Users Group. Since I opened it in late November 2001, we have grown to 381 users across the USA and encompassing both ATT and SunCom users. Everyone seems to love the phone and the service. I have noticed only 4 users drop from the group and only two of those actually posted that they decided on a different phone and/or carrier.

From what I've read, Verizon also seems to provide excellent national service.

-Kevin

3. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have Verizon and have been very happy with their service. I don't have the V60, although from what I read it is a very good phone. If you're considering the V60, take a look at the Samsung T300. It has just about all of the same features but costs less. You can read a review at my Samsung T300 Users Forum. It doesn't have as many subscribers as Kevin, but it's just getting started[​IMG]

One thing you might want to take into consideration is whether or not you want to go to GSM eventually. AT&T is in the process of switching over their networks to GSM. It will be awhile before they get it all updated, but when you have to sign a one or two year contract, I think it's something to consider.

4. Waycole

Waycole New Member

That was another option I was thinking about but what makes GSM so good? It does not seem like many carriers have much coverage when I look at their maps.

5. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << That was another option I was thinking about but what makes GSM so good? It does not seem like many carriers have much coverage when I look at their maps. >>

Well...that's a big debate really.

Small debate short:

GSM is the next step of TDMA technology. GSM has world coverage. It's the standard in Europe. You have more phone options because you can easily change your "identity" among GSM phones with a simple swap of a card. Then there is the debate about voice quality and all that, but that is very subjective.

GSM in the states really doesn't have very good coverage right now. In the next year or two it is going to grow rapidly with carries like Cingular and AT&T switching to GSM and VoiceStream continuing to spread their coverage.

That's the short of the short. I'm sure others will be happy to add more.

Personally I think that GSM in the states right now is way too limited. If you have no intentions of world travel and just want a phone with good nationwide coverage, I would stay with AT&T or Verizon. If you think you might want GSM in the future, you might want to stay with AT&T because then you can make the switch when they do and not worry about having to go to a new provider. Verizon will never be GSM since they are CDMA. But they have an equivalent path to 3G services.

It all really boils down to personal preferences, and remember the most important factor is who has the best coverage in the areas where you spend your time. You can have the coolest newest phone on the market, but if there's no service for it it's just a paper weight.