Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T mMode timeline for Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by SFBayChick, Apr 23, 2002.

1. SFBayChick

SFBayChick New Member

AT&T mMode timeline for Bay Area?

Hi there,

Anyone have a clue when mMode will roll out to the Bay area? I know that AT&T plans to expand the service to "other markets" thoughout the year, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything more specific . . .

Thanks!

2. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

Hey SFBayChick

welcome to the forum - the number of SF-Bay/Norcal people seems to suddenly grow rapidly here.

Kevin is the big att guy - I am sure you will hear from him soon

C.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Here is all I could find: http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_1010171,00.html

Oh yeah, and I would assume that the deployment of mMode is following the GSM path of ATT. The article mentions 12 markets--I'm not sure if that corresponds to ATT's GSM markets or not.

ATT has already stated that something like 30 "major" markets would be GSM by the end of 2002. I never did find out if the SF/Bay area was considered a "major market" by any of the carriers except that DukeDog indicated that it is Cingular's Number Two revenue market.

4. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

id give at&t enough credit to consider the sanfran area a major market.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    should be

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

should be to folks in the bay area in a couple months... end of year at the very latest.

7. pcssmartypants

pcssmartypants New Member

[​IMG] Well, Im not sure when At&t's m life will be here. But the package that they are toting is here now.... AT&T is toting GSM as being this being new thing. But Cingular has been using this technology for years!!! Even when they were pac bell wireless. & AT&T is charging more for this supposed new service....
    In my opion, in the bay, if you want good GSM service, go with Cingular. They know the service thru and thru, technology, etc...

PS, if you dont believe me, just wait and see..... As a matter of fact, to help AT&Tcust's get thru the change, Cingular has agreed to let AT&T clients use their sites since almost all of the sites in ca are of older technology....

8. Guest

Guest Guest

cingular might has using GSM for years. but can u suft the web in GPRS mode?? u know, GPRS is like DSL or cable, "always-on". and when u surfing web. and u got a incoming voice call. it alert u! it' so cool! .. i cant wait to get those small ___ phone! do u know how ugly is those AT&T pocketnet phone?? i cant wait to dump those once they switch to GSM!

ken

9. CaliphoniaBoy

<< if you want good GSM service, go with Cingular. They know the service thru and thru, technology, etc... >>

mmmhhhh, that's a new opinion -- everybody else seems to agree that Cingular holds the world record for building the worst GSM network in the bay area / cali

have you ever used any other network than Cingular GSM

and...

don't mix GSM and GPRS. I think ATT mmode is GPRS but I am not sure... and then Cingular is definitly one of the slower companies to get GPRS up and running

C.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, Cingular can accomodate GPRS, and has already for sometime... Probably for over a year, now.... Ya know I live in california and have travelled all over ca, and experience NO problem with the service...

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    No problems!? I had Cingular as a business account for a few years. Even just blocks away from 580 in Pleasanton/Dublin area, inside buildings the phone is dead. Using the phone from my home in Tracy (less than 2 miles from hwy 205) was impossible unless I stepped outside. Granted, Cingular is improving, but to say "no problems" is unbelievable. And then to say you had no problems while using it with cingular's worst cellphone (Ericsson), well I'm glad it worked for you. I know several people it does not work for.

12. CaliphoniaBoy

Kevin,

I have to agree with you... saying Cingular works without problems must be a joke

Perhaps anonymous works for Cingular... and is biased...

ALSO

Cingular has launched GPRS on April 17, 2002 - check their own press release

So claiming they had it for a

<< over a year now >>

is simply wrong!

C.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

they said they launched gprs in california, but when i went to their website, gprs is nowhere to be find for CA.. or maybe those lazy @#$ need to update their website..

14. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Updating websites seems to be a bane for most web hosters. I must admit that it is even a challenge for me to keep my personal website up-to-date and accurate. So I am sadly and embarrassingly reminded of the saying: "When you point a finger at someone, there are four pointing back at you!"

I have found a number of inaccurancies and old info on many websites, so finding fault with just one company as if they were unique just doesn't make sense.

From what I know of SBC, "lazy" is neither in their vocabulary nor in their way of doing business. They do have one serious problem, but laziness is not it.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular WILL have a pretty big part in this. Since they have always, even as pacbell wireless days, have been GSM. The plan, thus far, is to have at&t gust use cingular sites while at&t converts theres over. When this process is done, At&t has agreed to let cingular use double when their conversion is complete. An EXTREME bonus for cingular cust as they do not plan to charge their cust any extra charges. They get the benfeit of this. As for at&t, a service that is famous for charging their cust roaming charges of sort, even though they are in the home are, since GSM is an expensive service, can expect it to be the more costly gsm server.... Just look at the Mlife pricing....

16. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Huh? I'm sorry anonymous, but I just don't follow your reasoning. If ATT is being allowed to use Cingular's GSM network until ATT gets their own done, then why isn't ATT already offering GSM service (and phones) here in California? The current facts show that ATT is not offering GSM except in the markets where their own is up and running.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, Im in the industry. And this is the case. ... 20 percent of cell sites thru out the california market of Cingular will be used to help AT&T... 40 percent, when completed, will go back to Cingular when AT&T's gsm market is up and running. Testing on this is currently being done in San Diego... Thats why at times a cingular's cust handset, at times, reads AT&T... And is Washington, Cingular cust's use at&t sites already, with no additional cost....

18. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Seeing as Cingular's customers have complained so heavily about network-busy busy signals and inability to make calls, I am surprised that Cingular is willing to put this extra burden on their network. So now, with an already overburdened system, there will be not one but three (Cingular, Voicestream & ATT) vying for access to GSM towers.

I readily admit I am just a "user" so please, educate me as to why the above scenario is not the "whole story." I am sure I must be missing something somewhere.

I wonder if this is where the upgrades that Cingular boasts about is actually coming from--the built up of ATT's and Voicestream's new infrustructure.

19. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Kevin, Cingular up north of San Francisco and in the valley north of Sacramento seems to be ok. I have had no problems whatsoever.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

As well in the Central Valley of CA... No probs here... Cingular works great here

21. megatron

megatron New Member

Hey everyone,

I just received some information regarding the GSM rollout in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Apparently the SF Bay Area market and Los Angeles market should rollout on the same week,
    maybe even the same day, according to an AT&T representative I talked to. He said it would roll out
    early/mid next month (June 2002). A couple of other forums approximate the rollout date to about
    June 14th.

Also, I wanted to ask about using the Siemens S46 is TDMA-only mode in the Bay Area. Theoretically
    it would work since it works on both TDMA and GSM 800/1900 bands, but the guy I talked to said
    that the new billing system wouldn't let it register until the GSM was actually rolled out in the
    area, or something to that extent. So I wouldn't even be able to use the TDMA service at all.

Although he didn't specifically hear anything about the GAIT Nokia 6340 for AT&T, he did mention
    that 36 GSM phones (sounded kinda high but *shrug*) would be offered to AT&T customers by years
    end / early next year or so.

Since I couldn't find any rate information due to the fact that my area doesn't have GSM service yet,
    he mentioned that rates would be about equal or only minimally higher than TDMA only rates. He said the pricing structure would be competitive so to allow customers to migrate more easily into GSM as well as attracting new customers.

Hope this helps.

I think I'll wait until mid June to buy the S46, or who knows? Maybe I'll be able to get a T68i by then.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Anonymous,

I use Cingular down here in Burbank, CA. After reading all the info, Cingular will get almost 50% more cell sites in the southern CA area. Does this mean I will be able to finally use my cell phone inside large stores (ie. Fry's, Costco, supermarkets?) . I can't use mine at all. (I have a 6190). A buddy has ATT and uses a V60 phone and he can make and receive calls clearly in these stores. I'm really tempted to change service to ATT but I like Cingular's coverage area for family mobile to mobile, it includes a large portion of CA and parts of Nevada. If I were to switch over to ATT family plans, my MTM area would be limited to only LA county, SB county and part of Orange County. Will Cingular's service get better because of this arrangement w/ ATT? Will I be able to use my phone inside the above mentioned stores? A Cingular cust. rep. told me things will be better starting in August. This coincides with ATT's rollout of GSM coverage. Is this cust. rep. correct? Thanks for your help

23. LMACIAS

LMACIAS New Member

Sorry, forgot to login. The previous entry was mine.[​IMG]

24. GinBoy

GinBoy New Member

I called CS after I roamed onto ATTWS in my office in Fremont CA to ask if I would be charged roaming. The CS told me that since it was in my home calling area, the roaming agreement with ATTWS meant I would not be charged roaming.
    This could be a sweet deal if ATTWS fills in Cingular's dead spots, and there are many!!

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Any comments on Cingular service in the east bay especially in the Fremont, Newark, Union City Area.

I have being using Sprint for the past three years and am trying to figure out the best (reliable) service in these regions. Anybody have any experience

26. Hung

Hung New Member

Cingular GPRS in CA???? Are you sure of your facts? So why don't they sell it here? What device are you using?

27. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but you all know that mMode is only GSM/GPRS right? It's nothing more than just that, GPRS. They are just marketing it more than Voicestream did. Voicestream has iStream, and AT&T has mMode. There's one big difference though, Voicestream has it Nationwide. AT&T better be careful how they market mMode. They really son't want too many mMode customers if they aren't prepared, and the way that they are just throwing GSM in the middle of a city and calling it a done deal, doesn't sound like they are prepared to me. GPRS has to be very carefuly balanced as far as slots go. Their are slots for data (GPRS), and their are slots for voice. You have more voice customers so you would provide more slots for voice than for data, but data takes up two slots instead of the one that voice takes up, so they have to be very careful. An overload on data could put their voice down the drain and have thousands of complaints.

28. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Also, of course Cingular has GPRS in California, it use to be on their map for the California area, but maybe they took it off for some reason. If Cingular didn't have GPRS, how else would Voicestream customers be able to use iStream in the Cali area? I hope it's as good as Voicestream's everywhere else though.

29. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For the record, on their website, Cingular does NOT refer to it as GPRS at all... they simply call it "Wireless Internet Express"... and believe it or not, its not listed under "wireless data". They list it under instant messaging or something ridiculous like that. I live in Knoxville, TN and I know Cingular has had GRPS here for quite some time, though I'm not exactly sure how long. The worst thing is that their CS reps are NOT trained on GPRS and how it works, so if you have problems, have fun getting them fixed.