Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T Launches Lower-Cost Mobile Share Value Plans for Families

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by viewfly, Feb 2, 2014.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    AT&T Launches Best-Ever Prices for Families on its Best-in-Class Network | AT&T

1 person likes this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Interesting. Very, very interesting.

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This looks like I can save $50 a month and get 4Gb more each month??? Being an ATT customer already, I don't have to switch to the Next upgrade plan either. Am I reading this correctly???

Current: 3 lines and 6Gb for $195
    New: 3 lines and 10Gb for $145

Unlimited text and voice.

4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Just e chatted with an agent. I made the change on line starting today, and saved $50 a month. Doesn't change my upgrade in Oct either.

Woohoo!!!

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, I made the change as well...switched to the 15GB plan which will end up $5 less than what I was paying for 7GB across 2 phones. Thought about doing the 10GB plan and saving about $35/mo, but I figured it was better to go higher now and see how my usage changes. If it stays below 10GB for 2 months, I may drop down a tier.

1 person likes this.
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So with this change, come upgrade time, you chose to keep the new lower rate and use att NEXT plan for your upgrade (or buy/bring a full price unlocked phone) OR go back to the subsidy model and back to the higher monthly rates. I think it is per line though. Not sure.

Anyways, my lifestyle has changed and here is my analysis. Did I make a mistake in the math or logic??? Please check me out here.

It's a choice. On the new plan you gain 4 Gb of data ( going from 6 to the 10 Gb plan) to share.

Option 1
    Okay so you want to replace 3, 32 Gb every 2 years. If you stayed with the old plan you pay $50 more per month. That's 50*24= $1200 spent. Then you buy three phones 299.99 *3 = 899.97. Plus 36 *3 = 108. Rounding, that's 2208 spent. Divide by 3 that is $736 you've spent for your free phones. Basically the cost of a unlocked phone.

Assuming they are in mint condition and you can sell them for 400-500, then your free phone cost you 236-336 each. Maybe they are not mint. Or the market is flooded with phones. You'll get less. Maybe it's lost or broken. Zero on eBay. To make it work you have to sell the phone.

Option 2
    So maybe pocket your saved money in a saving account to save for 3 new phones (1200) instead. The extra 1050 you'll need, 350 per phone, you can recoup on eBay when you sell the old phones. Maybe you'll get 400-500 on eBay as above.

In either case if you can sell three phones for 500 each, the first option costs you 236 and the second option 250 per phone.

So it's a wash. But you gain 4 Gb of data in option 2.

Option 3
    With 12 month NEXT a 32 Gb will cost you 37.50 a month. 12 months is 450 and you can't sell the phone- you must turn in to att, in good condition. But then maybe you won't spend $100 on AppleCare. Make use of the apple 12 month warranty

So the newest model costs you $350. Every 12 months. And 4 Gb more data

But remember, for year one, you're saving 50 a month until your first upgrade. October 2014 for me so 350

Three options. Your choice to fit your lifestyle.

PS: if indeed come upgrade time you can do subsidy per line that would be 299.99 upfront plus 36 plus $25*24 months for a total of $936 per phone

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Moved our 4-line plan, should be about $50/mo savings. That should be more than enough to buy 2 new iPhones every 2 years. Try and sell one old and use the other as a hand-me down for the third line. All phones unlocked all the time, making international travel easy. Sounds good to me :)

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That was my thinking too dmapr! It seems that a lot of people are moving over. ATT made it attractive finally to move to a non subsidy option...and threw in the NEXT for those that may wish too. The good part, if I got it right, is that one can do the NEXT on a line by line basis. Or the subsidy.

Very happy to save $50 a month.

10 Gb??? I'm making great use of the iPad tethering over wifi/BT.

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, as far as I can tell Next is per line. Not that I would ever use it.

My tethering patterns haven't changed a bit :D I rarely need it, so even with my 3GB it was more than enough to cover my needs.

10. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

If I'm reading section #5 in your link above correctly. It looks like subsidy pricing is not available on this new plan. Only option is to bring in your own phone, use the NEXT program or pay full retail for the phone.

Seen here:

5. Customers who choose to upgrade at the end of their current agreement are required to sign-up for NEXT, bring their own device or purchase a phone a full retail price in order to keep this plan.

11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I believe that's the requirement to the $15 line price. If you use the subsidy, your price goes up for that line to whatever the normal one is, but the other lines can continue to be $15. Well, maybe hope is a better word than believe for this :)

12. Eileen89

dmapr, are you sure about this? AT&T's site and that link doesn't really seem too clear. :confused:

2 people like this.
  13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Of course not, otherwise I wouldn't be using words like believe and hope to describe my feelings :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  14. Eileen89

Maybe it's just me, but without the subsidy on the phone upgrades I don't see how a person is saving as much as they think they are on these new plans. Maybe if someone were to pick a cheap phone, but for people like me who have the 64GB iPhone. The $850 full retail price of the phone would take away any savings that a plan like this would offer.

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes. I switched to the new plan. Then a few hours later I pretended to add a new line. For that line I could buy outright, use Next (at $37.50), or do the subsidy for $40 a month.

I didn't follow through to confirm that the other lines stay at $15, but I think that's the idea. I would keep the 10Gb, so I think I'm right.

What you save really depends on the plan and phone price and how much you can resale it for. For me, it's seems to work it close enough. Plus for a family not every one upgrades as much as I do

Good question.

16. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    This is where the user has to crunch the numbers. Some devices are worth taking a discount (like your iPhone example)... Then there are others that are not worth a 2 year contract (like a Galaxy S3 mini or a flip phone). Basically, if the phone's MSRP is more than $360 (off the top of my head with little knowledge of the plans), then a contract is warranted. Otherwise, you may as well bring your own phone or pay full price.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You are right. In my case, saving $50 a month in the new plan gives me 4 extra Gb and I save up $600 per year which is nearly enough for 2 unlocked iPhones every 2 years.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In the short term there is obvious savings. In the long run, even if the savings are diminished, I still almost doubled the amount of data I can use, so I am fine with that trade off. I was always using at least 4.5GB of my 5gb while my other smartphone used maybe 500MB of it's 2GB allocation. Now that we can share 10-15GB for less each month, I don't mind losing a subsidy, especially as a resident of CA, where we have to pay sales tax on the full retail prices even when getting a discount. :p

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    :headscrat HEADS UP!!!

I got the ATT notice that my bill was ready (Feb 2 to Mar 1)...and it was HUGE!!!

Effectively they upgraded my data from 6 to 10 gB and my charge went up form $90 to 100 a month...that is okay.

But my per line went up from $35 to $40 a month!!!! WTF? Not $15?

So i called. They were very nice and said that it takes 2 billing cycles before you see the discount. ??? :loony:

So I said, NOOOOO way. After 20 minutes back and forth...they were saying it wasn't explained clearly...and I said no, it wasn't written that way...the bill is just wrong...you gave me half of the upgrade: one type for the data and it looks like the 2yr subsidy rate for the lines.

Anyhow, they agreed and reduced my bill to the $15 per line...So my bill for this cycle went from $260 down to $176 (taxes etc made the difference..still it went down $84).

The thing to note? The online bill was wrong, but it clearly said that my current plan was only $145 ( $100 + 3* $15).

So it is all mixed up...check your bill...

P.S. I did confirm with ATT that come Oct, I can go back to the subsidy (2 Year) per line..for $40... no other line affected. And it is NOT $40 + $15 per line.

BUT..I can do the NEXT option today (even saw that on line)...don't have to wait for my regular upgrade in Oct. And then it is about $32per line plus $15...So effectively I could get out of the ETF...well they didn't say anything about turning in my current iPhone 5.

Just some info for the 'rest of us'...:)

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I guess I can expect this too. Yay. :(

I got a screen shot of the "correct" charges as they showed up when I switched online. I also went into an AT&T store and confirmed the $15 rate in person. So I will fight the battle as well. :)

I briefly thought about doing the NEXT thing for a 5S (and selling my unlocked 5), but I still have 11.5 months of Apple Care on my current device, so there is really no reason to upgrade until that warranty expires, IMO.

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I had similar dreams. But I might wait to see why the new phone options are in the Fall.

Do keep in mind, that iPhone 5 prices on eBay will continue to drop...and, from my experience, selling an iPhone, with an AppleCare+ warranty with either fetch a better price, or sell faster....and most times do both! I normally advert that in the eBay title...it give an assurance to the buyer. You are allow to transfer it (AppleCare+) once only.

vf

I think my daughter will jump on this however. I would love to have the fingerprint sensor now though.

22. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good point, I forgot the Apple Care is transferable, so that should definitely increase resale value.

23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Oh yes, I've seen a mention of that before here.

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ahhhh!

The joke of AT&T billing is that were prompt in charging me more $ for the extra data and the per line charge, but were saying that the discount was would take 2 months. I told them never has their billing cycle worked like that, etc, etc, and please I would like to cancel.

I was very polite, and I think it is important to be at first.

Amazing.

Btw, didn't realize you are such a big cheese at the AT&T forums. :)

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    AT&T has always been very good at charging. To be fair my wife never had any problem talking AT&T into giving us our money back when that happens, so I'm certain it'll be no different now :)

P.S. If AT&T thinks I'm big cheese, then more power to them :D

1 person likes this.
  26. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Evil Red seems to think the same of me. I won't complain lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  27. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Dang!!!! I never really expected being a part of this community to actually be financially beneficial. I hope Joe doesn't turn around and ask for cut of my saving. Just saved $50/month. It would have been $60, but two of my four lines don't count. (They are hotspots and not included in the discount.)

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it. I don't need one of my hotspots. They are both less than year old and are in perfect condition both physically and operationally. I was told by the clerk that sold them to me that if I tried to use my smartphone, it would overheat as a hotspot. I discovered that is untrue. So I am willing to give away a hotspot--all you have to do is take over the plan. Anyone in Northern CA that's interested, let me know.

1 person likes this.
  28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Joe can have his cut after mine... ;)

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have been doing some math...as an extreme example, with the 64GB 5s as the example:

Purchase outright: $850 + $75 tax + $99 Apple Care+ = $1,024.

2 yr Contract = $399 + $36 upgrade fee + 75 tax + $99 AC+ +$300 ($25/mo up charge on plan for 12 months) = $609 ($909 over life of contract)

NEXT (assuming yearly upgrade)= $75 tax + $510 ($42.50/mo for 12 months) = $585 ($1,170 over 24 months).

So almost entirely a wash between NEXT and traditional contracts the first year. The second year of the contract is essentially an extra $300 as you still must pay the up charge on the line with the new plans. So over two years with NEXT, you are essentially paying an extra $250. However, you get one new phone over that time and since you only keep the phone for 12 months, there is no real need to spend $99 on Apple Care+.

Also, AT&T allows you pay off the device at any time, so if you find yourself with extra money in 10 months, that is an option and you are the outright owner of the phone and you have no contract. To me, an extra $10/mo over what would be a 2 year contract might make that a little appealing.

Clearly just buying outright is the best option if you can afford that, as you would own the phone and could theoretically sell it every year and recoup about $400 or so of your investment. But you can do this at any time with NEXT too, without having to pony up $1000 all at once.

Decision time!

30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Anthro we are on the same wavelength. I may wait for the ip6, rumors are fall, but even this summer.

I think more like summer. I can sense you have the itch.

Btw I just picked up a JamBox. Costco has a $40 off price this weekend. Got it for $99.