Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T iPhone beats Verizon in nationwide 3G speed tests

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Feb 19, 2011.

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Two jokes in the same day, you're cracking me up VF...er...ViewFly ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Spleck, what is your opinion as a user of iPhone on both at&t and Verizon.? Please share.

Thanks much. :)

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-ca; SonyEricssonX10a Build/2.1.A.0.435) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am loving my VZW iPhone!

I took a trip up to TN from GA along I-75 and compared both--I ran about 20 speed tests on both networks. VZW never lost EV-DO, while the AT&T iPhone went to EDGE in a bunch of places, and in many of them I couldn't establish a data connection.

Anytime I had EDGE, my VZW iPhone had really good speeds over 500 kpbs, and in one AT&T bad spot, I was getting over 2 Mbps on VZW.

If I had 3-4 bars on both, then AT&T almost always won on downlink speeds, I think the average was about 1500 vs 700 kpbs. Uplink usually went to VZW though, about 400 vs 200.

At full signal strength, AT&T would runaway with the downlink speeds by hitting 4 Mbps in some places, while VZW hit 2 Mbps a few times, but probably averaged 1700 at full signal strength.

I did end up at the Children's Hospital in Knoxville, and both VZW and AT&T had horrible reception in the ER. Texts came through, but no data on either one, although I did manage to get AT&T to get an 800 kbps speed test, but then it couldn't finish the uplink test and I couldn't get anything else working. (My kid is fine, just needed antiobiotics for an infection on a Sunday afternoon and nobody else would see a 14 month old from out of town.)

Voice-wise, I didn't notice any coverage difference, and I don't talk enough to really compare call quality.

The big thing for me was usability. EVERY time I picked up my VZW iPhone, I instantly had a data connection and was able to do everything I needed to. I never noticed it being slower in actual browser use. AT&T frequently had issues making a data connection even with good signal strength. It would sometimes give me an error, then proceed to hit 2.5 Mbps speed test after retrying. I never noticed any pages loading noticeably faster because of the faster connection, and in fact it seems like waking from sleep to web browsing ALWAYS took longer on the AT&T iPhone. I did a few Youtube videos and they may have buffered for a second longer on VZW than they did on AT&T--I probably only noticed because I has holding both phones and comparing.

FWIW, I have a VZW iPhone 4 and my signal tests were compared to my iPhone 3G and my wife's iPhone 3GS. I had an AT&T iPhone 4 for a month during the summer on iOS 4.0. The UMTS rev was noticeable between all the phones. iPhone 3G only supports 3.6 and I never saw much over 3 Mbps. iPhone 3GS supports 7.2, but I never saw over 5 Mbps. My AT&T iPhone 4 supported HSUPA and usually had the same down as the 3GS, but could get over 1 Mbps on the uplink while I never saw anything that high on the 3G or 3GS. My point being that I never saw amazing data speeds, but I did see enough to take advantage of HSPDA 7.2 and HSUPA.

Around town, there's no comparison--VZW has this area covered.

I really think once you have 500 kbps, you won't notice any difference unless you are doing some sustained data transfers. Between 200-500, I think the difference is perceivable, but not going to be an issue for most people.

5 people like this.
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    First of all I am glad your child is fine. :)

Thank you very much for a comprehensive and unbiased comparison report.

I agree with you that to the average user, the difference in speed will not be noticeable and the coverage will be more important. To some extent the fact that this came out a week back and has had very little exposure by the media, proves that point.

Glad to see you are enjoying your VeriPhone, nothing better than the device of your choice giving you coverage when and where you need it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-ca; SonyEricssonX10a Build/2.1.A.0.435) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks Spleck for taking the time to make this comparison and post about it. Same here to know that your child is doing fine.

I've never got anywhere near 3 or 4 Mbps on ATT! That is impressive. Glad to learn that the verizon coverage is better than ATT and allows you to upgrade from the 3G to iPhone 4...quite a different phone in many regards.

Enjoy and good to have another IP4 user on WA.

-vf

6. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'm still confused by AT&T's network strategy here. Atlanta is home territory for them and I did see really great coverage and speeds there, but I don't understand why AT&T doesn't have all of the interstates covered with 3G. They've recently pushed and gotten most of mid- to north-Georgia covered, but TN still has gaps. There are places along I-24 where AT&T is EDGE or Partner EDGE, and VZW already has LTE coverage. I just wish AT&T had pushed the 3G harder along the interstates even if they didn't significantly improve backhaul (just basic UMTS support would be fine).

Definitely. It was painful to go back to my 3G after having a 4 for a month. I used my wife's 3GS numerous times while testing just as a sanity check to make sure the coverage issues I had weren't caused by my aging iPhone 3G. It's been dropped a few times and even though I've never had the glass break, I have a few cracks in the plastic back and the silence switch is a little funky.

1 person likes this.
  7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well it is 2:40 in the morning, downtown Cambridge. Finally got 3 Mbps and above. ! Everyone else is sleeping this snowy morning.

Wohoo!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298793260.623795.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298793284.457377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4