Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T HSDPA: on which frequency band?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by TKR, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Here in the Atlanta market, AT&T has both cellular and PCS spectrum. Is UMTS/HDSPA deployed on PCS only, or also on cellular? What about other markets?

2. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

In some markets it's in the 850 band and others 1900 (PCS).:browani:

3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Yeah I think there is more 1900 if I am not mistaken

4. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I ask because I am a long time Sprint customer seriously considering switching to AT&T. One of the biggest reasons is 850 mhz. I would also get one of the newer 3g phones. I don't want to end up with only weak 3G coverage with AT&T at my house if their 3G is only 1900. I get Sprint signal, but it's not strong, and I would think AT&T would be the same as Sprint at 1900.

5. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ALCingularUser

ALCingularUser New Member

For the record, AT&T is using 1900 for HSDPA in most markets right now, but they'll eventually add it to 850 as well. However, this doesn't mean your coverage will be weak. I had Sprint as my first carrier, and I know exactly what you mean about weak coverage. However, this has more to do with Sprint building a really crappy network by spacing sites as far apart as possible in order to cover as large an area as they can with as few sites as possible. OTOH, I've used AT&T on 1900, and coverage has been excellent, even in really rural areas. That's not to say that you're guaranteed good coverage, but don't assume that, just because Sprint is bad on 1900, AT&T will also be bad.

7. bambam

bambam Junior Member

Years ago I had ATTWS (before the merged with Cingular) 1900 mhz TDMA coverage and it was worse than SprintPCS . Hopefully things have improved if your needs are in one of those 1900 mhz areas. I have been using Verizon for the past few years because the their 850 mhz coverage works everywhere I need it although the system gets overloaded in a few areas ( probably because the have the best coverage) .

8. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Really? because in Tennessee & Kentucky (most places anyway) HSPA is on 850 not 1900. Also in Missouri and SW Indiana along with South Florida so I wouldn't say is on 1900 in most places.:browani:

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Do you guys know what frequency 3g is on in Northern Utah- I think it may be on 1900 because 3g coverage here gets weak indoors.

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

I do think it is 1900

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Nevermind...I think this answered my question.

12. dazhdbog

dazhdbog New Member

I'm thinking of getting nokia 6120 to use on AT&T network. The phone supports the following:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 2100

Lets say I go to an area with only 1900 3G coverage (no 3G over 850). Will the phone be able to fall back to GPRS/EDGE over 1900? Or will I only be able to use the voice service (since the phone doesn't support 3G over 1900?)

Thanks

13. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Voice calls will work, but in areas where 3G is on 1900 only your data will revert to EDGE.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    How long before AT&T could start using the 700mhz that they have purchased from Aloha. This is not part of the latest auction. I don't believe that it is. It covers my area so I would love the penetration of 700mhz.. Last week the FCC were checking it out for approval.

15. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    2009 if they build on it, but they may sit on it due to the new rules about open access. but thats just a guess.

2009 is the earliest then you have to get handsets and tower equipment that can support it.

I remember when GSM was only available on 1900 and waiting for 850 GSM it seemed it would never get used soon enuff.

I remember when ATTWS first fired up 1900 GSM which was put at all the 850 TDMA towers all the engineers were shocked at how poorly it covered.

16. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

I don't know, AT&T's network is pretty open right now... I don't see this standing in their way.

-Jay

17. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    where do you live? 3G coverage around the ATL area is significant. probably because it is their bread and butter of the Southeast (lets not forget, cingular is based there..so it is basically the wireless headquarters..and Bellsouth too..)

anyhow i know 3G coverage is quiet amazing there, ive found it to work all the way to Conyers, it is significantly barried into the suburban areas around ATL and all of the city itself also.

a house doesnt seem to interfer with the 3G at all, the only time i lose it is inside of elevators and things of this nature, which would break up any signal.