Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T Has Dropped Nokia 8260

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Kenny, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

AT&T Has Dropped Nokia 8260

A CS rep has told me that AT&T has officially dropped the 8260 due to repeated problems with this phone.

If you check AT&T Wireless' website you will notice that they have also removed this phone from the site.

2. Geoff

Geoff New Member

WHOA, you are trippin me out! You just posted this at 9:30, when I was trying out my girlfriend's 8260! She is trying to convince me to buy one for $50 off Amazon, when I can get the Motorola v60 for FREE after rebates. Can you go into detail as to WHAT problems they have seen in the 8260? Alot of people I know here (N. California) have the 8260 with AT&T and like it alot. I do like how small it is...

3. rbw411

rbw411 Junior Member

They are launching the 8265.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Launching a new model of phone, doesn't sound like 'problems' with an old model. I hope Kenny comes back and explains.

5. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

You guys can call ATT can hear it for yourselves -- ATT has stopped selling the 8260 due to repeated problems with the phone. The fact that someone may be happy with the phone doesn't mean anything because you must evaluate the statistical nature of the phone with regards to problems -- just like evaluating a car. If someone says that they've had little problems with their Chevy Cavalier for 5 years then great for them but the real question is, how does the car stack up based on national statistical information?

Also, just because the 8265 is coming out doesn't necessarily mean that's the sole reason why they're dropping the 8260. Why pull the 8260 when the 8265 hasn't even been released yet? In fact, word on another has a number of people saying that the 8260 is a "piece of **** phone." Also, do some research on google.com on the nokia 8260 and you'll be surprised by the number of complaints out there.

Here's what other users have mentioned in another forum:

-->It might be "somewhat" true. I asked several ATT reps at several
    stores which phone I should buy. All of them unanimously told me to
    stay away from the 8260...this was at three stores, and it was almost
    a year ago. They cited numerous problems with the phone. with that
    said, they have sold many of those phones and could have taken it off
    the market a while ago.

--> I currenly use a Nokia 8260 with AT&T Wireless in Chicago. Since moving
    to them (from Cingular), I have had nothing but problems. Usually during the
    day (weekday), I can't make outgoing calls without trying 3 or 4 times.
    After hitting TALK (SEND), it waits a second or so and then gives me the
    fast beeping tone. The phone is reporting close to full strength signal too.
    Is this normal with ATT in Chicago? I know some companies are good in
    some cities, while terrible in others. Any opinions on ones that offer great
    service (meaning very few dropped/unavailable calls) for Chicago?

(I have used AT&T in Chicago for years on the 6160 and 5165 and I know of others who have AT&T
    and haven't report such problems)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmmm, still haven't heard any specific problems. I am shopping around, listening to comments. And comments from people I KNOW, are that it's a great phone.

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's one of the best if not the best Nokia phone. Someone is spreading misinformation. The 8260 is an impressive phone for the size and I consider it technologically excellent. If we are going to talk about problems with the phone, I am not going to deny that some people ran into problems with it, but I bet that the 8260 will stand way higher than the Motorola V60, the Nokia 3360 and 5165, LG phones, some Ericcson models and many others when it comes to bugs. If the 8260 was so bad you would see the complaints left and right in this forum and others since it's one of the most popular phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

No, it wasn't one single person who told me -- it was 3 different reps at different occasions -- one from an ATT store and two CS reps. Also why don't you check out the comments from alt.cellular.attws? A number of people do agree with me that that phone wasn't very good. Some of the German Volkswagon and Audi cars in the past were technically great but had reliability issues. See my point?

9. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My friend had a Nokia 8260 with AT&T Wireless and he was very happy with it. From what I've heard its suppose to be a good phone.

10. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Yup I just spoke to an AT&T sales rep in the Chicago area and he at first said that yes AT&T is fazing out the 8260 for the 8265. Then after talking to him for a bit, he finally admitted that it is also true that AT&T is trying to get rid of the 8260 due to the inherent problems of the the internal antenna. The next generation of internal antenna phones (6360, 8265) have improved the internal antenna. He also did cite complaints about dropped calls and fast-busy signals with the 8260.

Again, you can always find happy customers with it -- nobody said that there is a 100% error/failure rate. Perhaps something like 9% problem rate would be unacceptable to AT&T.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've heard the Nokia 6360 does have a better internal antenna. My friend down in Crossville, TN had a Nokia 3360 phone and he said it did ok signal wise but he now has a Nokia 6360 and he stated to me that it picks up much better then his old 3360 did. He thought maybe Nokia had improved the internal antenna and I guess they did.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Of course they always are coming out with new phones with improvements! Another reason they could have gotten rid of the 8260 on their website:
    People that what that great a phone, in such a small, reliable package...will now have to wait for the 8265 to come out and pay ??$$$ for it? How much do the NEW phones usually go for? $200? $300?
    I think I'll just order the 8260 at Amazon for $50 and give it a try. It seems to work great in my area.

13. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

You're right! Of course they're gonna improve on a phone that they've been having technical issues with! Do you think ATT is gonna hang on to it? If you happen to buy one and it works fine then great! You may not have a problem in your area but maybe others in a fringe area will.

This is not a case of "if it ain't broke then don't fix it!"

14. rbw411

rbw411 Junior Member

I have sold hundreds of 8260, biggest complaint was the fact that a rep has to change the face plate, or someone pretty familiar with mobile phones. You have to take apart the entire phone, it has almost as many pieces as the 8890. The internal ant. is very small and flimsy, but I have never heard of the phone having a bad reception persay. I can tell you that if you take a 3360 and a 8260 next to each other and use a light up battery, you will see that the 3360 will make the light up batt work from further away. I don't really know what that means, stronger signal, or higher radiation.

15. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Yup! Come get your 8260's cause ATT is clearing the shelves!!!

New subcribers can actually get the Motorola v60 for free from buy.com.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

There are 188 customer reviews of this phone on Amazon.com and alot of them say it is a great phone for about 6 months and then it dies.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, if like the title says "AT&T has DROPPED Nokia 8260" of course it won't last long. Let any phone drop and I guarantee you it won't last 6 months. That's what people won't say. I am pretty sure if you look for complaints on other phones you'll find more.

I guess not a lot of people in this thread agree with Kenny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Here's another recent response:

"I had to have my 8260 replaced under warranty through AT&T. When I
    described the problem to the CSR, she told me that it was a known
    problem with the 8260s and that a replacement phone may experience the
    same problems later. So far, my replacement is working fine.

I'm sure that this is part of the reason they're dropping the 8260."

Again, I'm not saying that the entire design is completely bad...this was Nokia's first generation internal antenna phone. If for example there were a higher percentage of issues with this phone, let's say 9% regarding similar faulty issues -- then this may not be acceptable to AT&T who has to support all these problems. That means that there are tens of thousands of happy users...and a small percentage of crappy/faulty phones that were prone to some type of problem that AT&T is aware of.

--> "Well, if like the title says "AT&T has DROPPED Nokia 8260" of course it won't last long. Let any phone drop and I guarantee you it won't last 6 months"

I don't know what you're talking about??? What does this comment mean? What does dropping the 8260 have to do with the phone lasting long on the market? I don't know what you're driving at? Not a lot of people agree with me? Hardly, there's something like 2-3 users and an Anonymous user making responses here. Call AT&T yourself or stop by the store and talk to a rep and see what they say. Oh, and (shhhhh!!!) don't ask the independent vendors 'cause they still have some 8260's to sell.

19. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Apparently the phone can't be that bad out of 318 reviews on Epinions.com the phone is recommended 91% of the time with a 4.5 star rating.

Nokia 8260

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I just know that when people don't like a product they only read what they like to hear about it, look only for info they want to find and highlight it to the world to prove a point, then pretend the rest doesn't exist.

21. Geoff

Geoff New Member

The problem with trying to go by all the customer reviews is that most of them don't say how long they've been using the phone, when they write the review. I think 2 types of people would be most likely to post up a review. One that just got the phone and is in complete euphoria from having a new play toy. The second would be someone that is having a really bad experience with a phone and wants to vent. There are alot of other people too, even ones that have really liked the phone for a long time and want to share, but those first 2 would be the most common I bet.
    What we really need is a comprehensive REVIEWS site for phones! There would be a standard list of things one would have to fill out for the review. Like price paid, what service you use, how long you've been using it, what type of user you are (power user, light user or moderate) and then what you think about it...any other ideas on this? I think Wireless Advisor would be the perfect place for this...

22. ascoolasu

ascoolasu New Member

Do you know where I can find the 8260 phone for hella cheap?

23. gnn

gnn New Member

I had a 8260 for a while; I used to complain about the horrible AT&T network, when I finally realized that the Nokia 8260 is a piece of turd; Reception is VERY bad. I changed to a Nokia 6360 which is big and bulky but at least has reasonable reception. Of course I still think that AT&T's network stinks because they castrated the 6360 to remove internet access, and modem capabilities to accomodate their third world infrastructure. If I didn't need to travel to the sticks all the time, I would dump AT&T...

24. Casandra

Casandra New Member

I had a Nokie 8260 (my first non-Moto phone in a long time). It's a GREAT phone (small size, BIG features), but the reception (at my house) was not as good as the Motos I owned.

One year and two weeks after I purchased it, it just died right in the middle of a call. My insurance replaced it with a Nokie 8265. This is an even better phone. Slightly larger, but with much better reception. I can now call from anywhere in my house (with the 8260, I had to move toward a window or the call would drop).

Nokias are fairly easy to dissasemble, the 8260 is no exception.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It is worth noting that inadvertently placing your index finger on top of the internal antenna while using the 8260 is the number one reason that makes the phone look as a bad performer. When using the 6360, people don't tend to do this as much since it is a bigger phone. When the 8260 is used appropriately, it performs just as good, if not better than any other phone.

26. Zukison

Zukison New Member

I have sold a lot of 8260 and to be honest, it does have some problems. Some will just shut off completely, lose the reception completely, or be having problems with the speaker. Nevertheless, I consider Nokia the best phone on the market. [​IMG]