Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T GSM/GPRS LAUNCH NY/NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by parthery, Aug 26, 2002.

1. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T GSM/GPRS LAUNCH NY/NJ

Now confirmed...AT&T will launch GSM/GPRS in NY/NJ the 3rd week of September.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No wonder I've been seeing control channel changes and other variances in coverage recently. Where did you read that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

One question. If you get AT&T GSM what happens when you travel to a non-GSM area? Will the phone switch modes to work with their current TDMA system? Or is GSM a crap shoot - roaming wise - until it becomes very wide spread?

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It depends on the phone you buy. If you have a GSM only phone like the Nokia 8390 or Ericsson t68i, it won't work in a TDMA area. you can get a Siemens s46 that will work in both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Too bad. Really like that t68i!!!!!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Does a switch to GSM mean AT&T service will really improve in NYC?

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL...I hope so!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

The only bummer is the Siemens s46 does not work in analog. You do lose some flexability. "Digital Multi-band TDMA (800/1900) and GSM (900/1900), no analog."

9. Guest

Guest Guest

is that why my stupid AT&T phone has such sucky receeption this week at home? It's either no service or very weak analog service at my home area (Elmhurst, Queens NYC)

I hope they are switching soon because I want a new phone. Will it support GSM phones that I buy overseas? (Does it have to be tri-band? whatever they are)

10. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T is going to start allowing unlocked phones to be activated on their network...starting in December. However, they will only allow these phones to be activated on local (Digital Advantage) rate plans. No Digital One or National Network.

Keep this in mind if you decide to buy a phone overseas, etc...

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Did someone smack AT&T's head or their tyranny is falling apart? Finally, I see they are loosening up a little. That's a nice move to allow unlocked phones. Besides, their rate plans are much better than before. I guess they finally understood that customers need some flexibility.

12. Suzy

Suzy New Member

My Phone:
    V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    [​IMG]
    Will this GSM/GPRS be available to CT/MA customers as well or any time soon?

13. cucopasuryn

cucopasuryn Junior Member

AT&T will launch GSM/GPRS in september for CT.

14. Xcoolrising122X

Xcoolrising122X New Member

so... uhh wat should I do now if I want Att'z serivice.... should I get one now with what phone... or should I wait till they roll out GSM and them get ATT

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you need the service now, get it now and then switch to GSM. GSM rollout dates are always a mystery.

16. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    You can always switch to the GSM phones BUT if you are over 30 days with at&T that would require buying another phone.

Voicestream offers GSM service in that area.

Jack

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah, but he could stay a year or two with TDMA and then it wouldn't be that bad to get another phone if he wants to switch. People change phones about every year anyways. Also, that will give GSM coverage a chance to get more solid.

18. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

If you have a GSM phone, you phone will go out, but that only applies to AT&T GSM.

Voicestream GSM on the other doesn't have this problem. Voicestream has GSM nationwide, not in every crack and crevice, but they have it in way more places that AT&T can even think of dreaming of, unless they dream 3-5 years from now. So with Voicestream, when you leave the NY/NJ area, you still have coverage, all across the U.S.
    Cingular also has GSM in other places, but that's only courtesy to Voicestream, for letting Cingular ride on there back (using Voicestream's network across almost the entire nation-SERIOUSLY).

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A non-GSM area means no GSM coverage. So the truth is if you go to a non-GSM area with ANY carrier your phone will be dead.
    Although I agree that Voicestream has the most extensive GSM coverage in the US which AT&T is not even close to match, it would be a fallacy to say that with Voicestream you won't have this problem because you will be covered all across the US. Not true at all.

The best bet is to get a TDMA/GSM phone so when your phone goes outside GSM areas you'll still be covered. It is common sense to anyone that if your phone is able to pick up more than just one network you have less chances to be out of coverage. That's what's nice about GAIT phones.

20. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

is the at&t gsm launch going to cover new brunswick?

and i agree.......at&t plans are getting nicer all the time. i think at&t finally decided to chill out, have a beer, and make up some new plans and policies.

21. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    True

And I will agree that voicestream has the best GSM coverage

Jack

22. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, AT&T finally decided to chill out [​IMG] and their GSM deployment is faster than any GSM carrier. Soon they will match Voicestream's coverage.

23. aiwapro

No, they aren't moving that fast. AT&T's problem is that they aren't building extensive GSM coverage; They are only building in spots, and that is a huge problem, especially since they are NOT a roaming partner of Voicestream.

Don't take my word for it that AT&T's GSM is tiny in every place that they build it, just try it out yourself. There have been many threads about AT&T's GSM coverage being small, and them just calling it a finished job. AT&T's GSM launch in Cleveland was all a huge flop. Voicestream (T-Mobile) launched around the same time in Cleveland, and they have much much much more extensive GSM coverage than AT&T, and Voicestream (T-Mobile) built their Cleveland coverage from the ground up, started with nothing, and built over 300 towers. That's a huge accomplishment. Why couldn't AT&T do that? Who knows, noone will ever know. I don't think they even know.

To make a long story short, I look for AT&T's GSM launch in NY/NJ to be a huge flop too, due to lack of coverage.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Maybe so...the problem with these deployments (and its something a lot of people ignore) is that by looking at a coverage map, you can see that a city is covered but what about weak spots within that city? Maps will never tell you that. That's why I am not switching to GSM just yet. It needs to mature even in the already covered areas and that will take even longer because it is not necessarily the carrier's top priority.

25. aiwapro

That's the thing, AT&T's GSM coverage map doesn't even look good. The cities even look half-filled with coverage. I know for a fact that they only cover half of my city, as I sometimes do I manual network selection on my phone, just to see where AT&T has coverage. They are in all reality missing half of my city. They say they are finished though. I told off the people in the AT&T store about it. I only went in their to get some faceplates for my 8390, and they asked me how I liked my GSM coverage, and I said good with Voicestream. They were so mad, telling me that AT&T's GSM was better and stuff. They couldn't understand that I had the Nokia 8390 with Voicestream. When I went to pay for my faceplates, I just simply showed them my screen, and 'VStream' it showed.

HA HA HA

I can't wait to go buy some more faceplates. Maybe I can get into it with the manager next time. LOL

26. howiesimpson

howiesimpson New Member

I don't believe it. I remember hearing that ATT GSM was over a year away. In fact, my sister just bought a new Nokia 3360 yesterday... I suppose that isn't too big a deal, as the TDMA network will still need to be supported for years to come and then ATT will probably give her a free GSM phone, by then perhaps a refurbished 8390, or whatever junk is cheap at the time. For her, it really doesn't matter though. GSM and TDMA are meaningless to her as long as she can talk to people and hear them talk back.

As for me, I am an out of contract VS (now t-mobile) customer. ATTs plans look great, especially the "Nights/Weekends" part, as opposed to t-mobile, but if the coverage is spotty and they aren't using VS/Cingular to roam, it'll stink. Its a shame too, they're getting all the nice phones.

Keep all of us informed of whats going on... once ATT goes GSM the cell phone world will be forever changed.

27. aiwapro

Nothing will change when they go GSM. They have already went GSM in some places, but the GSM coverage that they put up just sucks. And NO, they DO NOT roam on Cingular or Voicestream.

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T GSM roams on Cingular in the Carolinas.

29. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Reliable rumor has it that starting tomorrow, nights/weekends will be available on T-Mobile as a 6.99/month add-on option on plans 39.99 and up nationwide.

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's nice. Will it be UNLIMITED n&w minutes?