Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

At&t gsm coverage in central mass

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by cenmassguy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. cenmassguy

cenmassguy New Member

hi, last spring somebody i know needed a new at&T phone (they wouldn't let me talk them into switching carriers) i went to the at&t company store in westboro, MA. Much to my dismay the sales rep advised against switching to a gsm phone, as the network still wasn't up to par in my area ! (clinton) Now, almost a year later, and with the merger, is it better? also, this person's tdma nokia almost always reads "extended area". Is it true tdma coverage is getting worse? Appreciate any info you may have on this. happy holidays :)

2. dallison

dallison Senior Member

tdma is not getting better, they have not added a tower in almost 2 years, but gsm is just th opposite, the coverage is surprisingly good here, i don't know about mass

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Coverage should be pretty good when you roam over to Cingular, ATT GSM is a bit weaker than Cingular in Central Mass.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

Cingular and AT&T both have TDMA and now GSM networks here. If his phone is reading Extended Area that means he is running off Cingular TDMA. Cingular and AT&T both overlaid their networks with GSM. So however his service is on TDMA, it will be atleast equal to that on GSM. Additionally, there have been many new GSM only towers that have gone up for both AT&T and Cingular in the past year, and now that Cingular owns AT&T and you can use any of their towers, things are really great.

All the AT&T stores are now Cingular stores. You will be getting Cingular GSM. It's quite great here in Central Mass, and the rest of southern new england as well. I'd say go for it. TDMA is only going to be degrading, GSM is better than TDMA in Mass., and will only improve.

edit: Oh yeah, I've got Cingular GSM for 1-1/2 years now, Cingular for 4 years. I'm in Worcester but travel all over the area. Just so you know I'm not just saying stuff. I have em and use it. It's great :)