Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

At&t at eugene, OR

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by hk09, Jul 3, 2008.

1. hk09

hk09 New Member

I planned to switch from t-mobile to at&t and I wanted to get a unlocked lg kf750( tri band phone). Will the phone work withe at&t?

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Not well. Since it's being launched in Europe it has the wrong three bands, or rather, only one of the bands required in the USA. You want 850 and 1900 MHz.

2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900

I suggest that before you cut ties with T-Mobile, you ask for your phone's Subsidy Unlock Code. Then you could use it with an AT&T SIM.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hk09

hk09 New Member

Actually, I am using sony ericsson w800i right now. I planeed to get a LG kf750( will get the phone in HONG KONG, which is unlocked). DO I still need the subsidy unlock code? The main question is will the phone work withe at&t?

which company is better? at&t or t-mobile? I had never use at&t before...
    Thank you

4. Nextel32708

Nextel32708 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Voice/SMS/Data)
    I've used both at&t as well as T-Mobile.

I would have to say, from personal experience T-Mobile's network (if it's available) is usually of better quality than at&ts - the reason I say this is that at&t cripples their network with AMR-HR codec. Also, at&t does not allow true EONs (if any at all) to show while roaming, and manual network selection is taken away from the user.

T-Mobile also has better customer service (in my experience) than at&t - both in basic CS, and loyalty department teams.

If you need Rollover minutes, then go with AT&T; but if you don't need those then I would stay with T-Mobile since their base plans offer more for the money - and they also have hotspot service which is great!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    COtech pretty much gave you the answer. But if you want a yes or no answer, mine would be no. In Eugene AT&T mostly uses 850 which the LG dose not have. Also without that band you could loose some roaming coverage too.

Which company is better? I always say, "They are all evil, so pick your poison". The best company is the one that gives you the best coverage & services for a price you can afford. So use the AT&T trial period to test everything out. If you like the service port your number over. Other wise cancel before the trial ends and stay with T-Mobile.

6. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The Sony Ericsson w800i is the phone you are currently using with T-Mobile? If you bought it from them, this is the phone to get the subsidy unlock code for (if it won't work with a borrowed AT&T SIM).

By the way, this w800i is another example of a European tri-band design, with only the 900/1800/1900 MHz bands. You can use 1900 MHz with all of T-Mobile, but want 850 MHz for some of T-Mobile's roaming partners. You NEED both 850 and 1900 MHz for a good AT&T Mobility experience.

Maybe a dual-band phone, with 850 and 1900 MHz only, could be a good choice (less expensive, too). Examples would be the LG F7200 and the Nokia 2660, with both of the North American bands you need.

If you frequent Hong Kong often enough to have a favorite cellphone shop, you REALLY ought to go quad-band (850/900/'1800/1900 MHz).

COtech