Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T and Other People's Opinions

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by t720, Dec 22, 2003.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, its the other way around. AT&T is taking longer than Cingular to convert to GSM. Cingular started converting almost a year later after AT&T started, and Cingular is almost done in less than 2 years. Cingular has already launched GSM 800 in most areas while AT&T has a long way before launching GSM 800 fully. Cingular is 92% done and they expect to be done by this summer. AT&T on the other hand, started in mid 2001 and it's been over 2 years and they have not launched GSM 800Mhz fully in any market yet and they are still selling TDMA while Cingular stopped TDMA sales in most areas a long time ago. Cingular cannot possibly take 4 years since they are not even 4 years old! They started converting in Spring 2002.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. willycox420

willycox420 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    I work and live in the Upstate Ny Market and the GSM build out here has been great, i got on the AT&T GSM network at the beginning of December and i have noticed that alot of my dead spots have been filled in. AT&T is activating new towers in this marker every week. GSM coverage is not up to what TDMA coverage is\or was but give it a few months it will be alot better. i get better sounding calls on my GSM phone than i ever did with my TDMA service. I have a Verizon CDMA phone also and dont notice a big differance in coverage, in some spots i get better AT&T service.

3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My Bad,
    I was under the impression that Cingular had been working on the GSM rollout longer.

4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

With ATT CS moving to China, you can make a complain to a CSRep. who is not even in this country. Offshoring is worst than Illegal Immigration. At least the Illegal worker is spending some money earn in the USA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T will get better soon [​IMG]
    or they will have to be with Cingular

6. YRless

YRless New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3560
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT Wireless TDMA
    Their moving to China! That sounds like a great idea, wonder who's wonderful idea that was[​IMG]

7. jones

Sorry, maybe India.
    Motley Fool
    AT&T Wireless Outsources
    Wednesday November 19, 3:55 pm ET
    By W.D. Crotty

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE - News), the second-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., plans to lay off 10% of its workforce. Outsourcing deals with companies in India and other overseas locations are in the works. What gives?
    Here's the real story. To accelerate the process of generating cash, AT&T Wireless is said to be considering outsourcing (a simple word meaning: "Let's get the job done more cheaply elsewhere"). It may be a winning strategy, but price cutting and special promotions are common in the wireless business. Today's savings through cost cutting may be given away in tomorrow's competitive pricing. Overall, the company's future is still not clear.

This is the new tren.

8. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    To be fair to ATT though, a good part of the reason for Cingular stopping TDMA sales is that they don't really have the spectrum in a lot of markets to expand, let alone really run both networks. ATT owns far more spectrum and in their 800 markets launched GSM on an alltogether different block of spectrum so they didn't have that issue.

9. jones

ATTWS is activating Cell cites in NJ/NY Metro. Of course Cingular is using T-Mobile in this area, so they're doing it outside this area.

Most of these are rooftop antennas.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's true. However, some of Cingular's actions seem to suggest that's not the reason. There are markets where Cingular has sufficient spectrum to run both TDMA and GSM, much like AT&T is doing, in two separate blocks (I.E. Philadelphia/South New Jersey/CT). However, still in those markets, Cingular stopped TDMA sales already and they are pushing GSM into 800Mhz a lot quicker.

11. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Thats true. But it would make sense to keep TDMA phones off their network if they have spectrum problems, even if not in the home area. In terms of roaming etc.. and people travelling between markets, it clearly makes sense to push everyone to GSM so spectrum can be pulled from TDMA everywhere. But your point is valid. I'm not sure why ATT is doing it this way, but its not a huge issue for them becasue they do have the spectrum.

12. t720

t720 Senior Member

Are they seriously moving part of their company into China? Why don't you just call the company CT&T Wireless huh? LOL [​IMG]