Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T and Other People's Opinions

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by t720, Dec 22, 2003.

1. t720

t720 Senior Member

AT&T and Other People's Opinions

You know, I find it kind of odd that I run around this forum often and I find that EVERY single customer besides me hates AT&T and thinks that it's terrible while meanwhile I am having absolutely no problems. I've dropped one call on my phone ever since the day I've got it and I get coverage where I need it most (except for my neighborhood where Nextel is the only option, but everywhere else it does not match up to AT&T).

Is there something wrong with AT&T everywhere else? Am I biased or screwed up or something? Or is it that AT&T only has a good Long Island network and I haven't gotten out enough to see the rest of their "so called" trainwreck of a network which is causing so many problems for everyone else.

Or, I find this possibility to be true. Maybe the world has been taken over by what one member refers to as vealots, or verizon zealots. I never know anymore if a wireless recommendation is an advertisement or a true opinion from some people.

I'm so confused [​IMG] . What's going on here?

2. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    I use ATT all over the tri-state area (NY-NJ-PA). I find that the people on the forums are unnecessarily bashing ATT. The GSM coverage is equal to or better than the TDMA coverage (provided by cingular in S Jersey) in many areas. Every week I find a previous dead spot filled in by ATTWS. I have my number with them back to 1989. THe ony real rough spot was about 3 or 4 years ago when they had some growing pains-callers too frequently got all circuits busy.
    Over the years I have tried all the others except Nextel as a back up phone. I have never found any of them to be as good as ATT-combination of phones, plans, RF.
    I have also used ATT when I travel. It has never let me down. (and my phone is 1900 only).

3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Alot of people including myself on this forum have had very bad experiences with ATT in the past. Recently they have done alot of things to realy piss people of. Mind you to every situation there is a general rule and lots of exceptions. Some people on Verizon actualy love there Motorola t720/t730's. The botom line is, if you have it and like it, keep it.

4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

I think a lot of things for good coverage will happen when:

AT&T Wireless shot up 5.3 percent to $7.80 after another report that Cingular Wireless might seek to pair up with its rival. Rumors of such a deal have percolated in the market for more than a year.

The nation's second-largest wireless-service provider is also exploring a merger with or acquisition of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (NYSE:AWE - News) , these people say. It isn't clear what stage Cingular's plans have reached. Such a move would mark the onset of a long-expected consolidation of the U.S. wireless industry, splintered among six national companies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pipeman

Pipeman Member

You must never leave the NY Metro area. My wife works for Verizon and out of spite she signed herself and my two college age sons up for ATT, thinking it would be as good as Verizon. We went to our summer home in Lake George for a month last summer. I was the only one of the four with service 100% of the time. The only way they could make a call was to go out on the lake, and they never received a call, and they have 3 different phones so I know it wasn't the hardware. All things being equal, why put yourself through that?

6. peteynice

peteynice New Member

AT&T in Central NJ is just OK. It's 1900 Mhz and is MIMBY'd to death. Cingular and Verizon have the Cellular licenses in this part of NJ so their networks (Cingular has GSM 850 here) are phenominal.

What really soured me on AT&T was the poor support. Blame it on a "software upgrade" all you want but that went on over a month and that has to be unacceptable. Certainly enough to make me run for Cingular as fast as I could. I don't hold the same disdain for AT&T that I do for T-Mobile and Sprint but also nowhere near the high regard I hold Verizon and Cingular in.

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The AT&T NYC/NJ network is actually the best after Verizon in this area. The issues with AT&T are mostly related and limited to their customer service, number porting, technical support and sales areas. This is why they get bashed so much. Other than that, current customers are fine. In other words, everything EXCEPT the network coverage is screwed up. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have been with AT&T for over 5 years and just this Aug went with a Gait phone and find that the service in GSM mode has been great. I have never had a problem with AT&T and did with Verizon in Aug. and found my coverage and service with AT&T has been excellent and i am happy with them. Some people i know have had problems with AT&T and when i ask them what they were and what phone they were using it was usually a phone problem like the Motorola 333 or 60. Just my 2 cents

9. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    bottom line they stink, my co-worker has at&t and my verizon phone can have less bars yet still get a nice clear call thru while he is still redialing 10 times......

10. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know, before the major GSM push they were also number 2 in NYC.

If they would match Tmobile's local plan they could Stem the tide in the markets were they are there strongest but...alas...in true ATT style no.

11. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I can't complain about AT&T (TDMA or GSM) in Philly, NJ, or NYC. If I spent most of my time here I'd still be with them, and I still recommend AT&T to people that do hang around this area. But their poor 1900-over-850 GSM rollout in central PA, guaranteed dropped calls on 322 / PA Turnpike around Harrisburg, and total lack of decent multimode phones drove me away.
    (Can't figure out why everyone says Verizon has bad phones... ATT only has the S46 and T62u for multimode, while most of VZW's phones have both CDMA revisions and analog, etc??)

12. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    havent we learned anything here? it all depends on where you are. this goes for everyone including myself. we all bash one company or another at some point. i bash att mainly because i worked for them in the past. and the market i worked in, they treated employees and customers like trash. they just didnt care. but if att, tmobile, or whoever works well for a particular person, then good, use that company. i personally dont think any compant out there can stand up to the quality of service i have been getting since i joined verizon. (and not just because i am an agent). the service really has outshined any other carriers i have used in the past few years.

i am happy that you found good service with att. not everyone gets such good service without having to try everything out there first and becoming frustrated with cellular altogether.

13. nysteve

nysteve New Member

I had ATT for almost seven years, having just switched to Verizon. I live in Queens, NY and work in Jersey City, and am frequently in Manhattan.

I am not an ATT basher but my ATT phones would almost never allow me to have a conversation in Jersey City without dropping a call; I would have trouble latching on to dial-tone when I emerged from the subway in Queens on my way home; and I frequently could not get dial-tone in offices in mid-town Manhattan. I have had a succession of Ericsson and Nokia handsets on ATT

A little over two weeks ago my wife and I switched to Verizon, and chose Nokia 3589i.

Guess what?

My Verizon phone works in all of the spots where ATT would not.

My only question, to myself, is why I waited so long to switch.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You get a "dial-tone" in your cell phone? [​IMG]

15. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thats funny.

NYSteve, thats a hell of a comute yes?

I personly want to try there network in NY. The probelm I realy have with them is look at there coverage map. It is confusing as all hell. There is way too much roaming.

16. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

I just posted another thread not looking at existing ones first.
    here's the link:
    http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/waforums/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=35306

here it is:

how's your AT&T tdma been working lately? I"ve been a very happy at&t custmer for about 3 years, (49.99 for 1355 minutes + nw from 8PM + business discount + good coverage everywhere I (!!) go) but since last week it's been horrible. I called them up and they told me they have some ticket open for over a month in some phily zone(s), but they are still investigating... The zones they have problem with are not the zones I have problems in.

Last friday 90% of calls ended up in my voicemail, which I coudn't even check since I was getting fast busy signal 95% of the time that day (lately I'm getting it about 50% of the time).
    To me it sounds like their towers are way overallocated. Seems like they have sold too much of TDMA service in the last few month (or may be something else(?) is overallocating tdma towers??).. I belive they had exactly the same problem a few years back in Northen jersey and New York areas..

DOES ANYONE REALLY BELIVE AT&T IS GOING TO INVEST MONEY IN TDMA MARKET? I called them up and asked them to debit my account for $50 they gave me a few month back for extending my contract. I'm back on month to month now and if the problem doesn't get fixed I'm out. Great plan for the money, but not worth it!!

17. SNSE

SNSE Senior Member

I have stated in other posts that AT&T works well for the most part in heavily populated areas. Two big problems though:

1.) Where I travel, the PRL list does not always put me on the best roaming option for TDMA customers, I hate sitting under a TDMA carrier's tower, and the phone will not switch over because of the PRL.

2.) AT&T's TDMA is progressively getting worse. No arguments, hands down, two years ago entire crews would have been fired for the performance of the network. Now, all eyes are on GSM and it's sad. The same thing happened when they deployed TDMA, internally, managers were told "Screw AMPS, make these numbers on TDMA or else". I'm not going to name names, but that is a fact. I suspect the same thing is happening now.

As for customer service, other than some long hold times, they have been fairly reasonable to deal with. As I said in a different thread, it's a shame that they can't keep up with both networks. Other carriers can do it, they ought to put more effort into it as well, of course, they'd have to re-staff half of the people they let go in a lot of places...........

18. PaulC

PaulC New Member

Most certainly the same thing is happening now. ATTWS has made it clear that thier future is GSM and they have made no secret about the strategy to convert the customer base as quickly as possible. It's sad for those of you still on the TDMA network, but for those of us already on GSM, the pace of their buildout efforts is very encouraging! If the Cingular/ATTWS merger ends up happening, the network completeness will take another leap significant forward.

Don't expect that any amount of complaining is going to change things. If you expect to stay with ATTWS for the long haul, be prepared to make the switch to GSM in the not-to-distant future. Ideally, you could find someone in your area already on the GSM side to determine what kind of coverage you will get. Or even better........ Get a multiband phone for some period of time and get the best of both worlds!

19. nysteve

nysteve New Member

Let me clarify what I mean by "dial tone" for cellular.

When you pick up a wireline telephone, you get a dial tone, meaning you have service, and can make a call. When I emerged from the subway in Queens and turned my wireless telephone on, it would search to connect for service, often not connecting; if it did, and I placed a call, the call would not connect to my home number.

20. nysteve

nysteve New Member

To NYCDru:

The commute from Queens to Jersey City is not that long a distance as the crow flies, but as the train runs it takes about one hour ans fifteen minutes.

From your note I could not determine which service you wanted to try but my experience with Verizon is that I have been able to make calls from all of the trouble spots I had with ATT TDMA service.

As to all people waiting the for ATT GSM buildout, is it worth putting up with no service now, in the hope of getting service later, or would you rather be able to use your phone now.

I too had great hopes for ATT GSM but after looking at coverage maps and where I could be subject to roaming charges, I decided to switch to Verizon.

21. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I fail to see how AT&T wants to convert to GSM as quickly as possible, when they are still introducing new color TDMA phones. They were doing fine until the beginning of 2003, then after that everything about their GSM expansion seems to have come to a complete halt. They have failed to successfully launch GSM at 800Mhz and their 1900Mhz coverage does not seem to expand. Instead, they are just expanding the areas where you have to pay for roaming.

22. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT's National coverage...isn't. I looked at the New coverage maps (which by the way, make NO secnce. I mean i could figure it out...buyt i am pretty sure most cell phone newbies couldn't) and they have the LEAST coverage of any "national" carier. Mind you, there GSM deployment in the city has been VERY good...but once you leave the city you start rolling dice.

23. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint

24. Pipeman

Pipeman Member

That's what Boston Red Sox fans have been saying since 1918.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah, I can only hope Cingular buys them out and bring things back to normal. [​IMG] NYC would finally get a decent GSM network.

26. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Didn't Cingular go thru the same problems with their upgrade in the beginning? Also AT&T has been upgrading there system faster then Cingular did. I believe they have done in 2 years what Cingular took 4 years to do. I am sure it will be better in time and in the mean time we are suffering with service, that is why i went with the GAIT phone and feel that was a good move on my part since i always have service, and maybe AT&T should have offered more then the SE version.

27. ERL857

ERL857 Junior Member

I have had ATTWS gsm since it was first turned on about a year ago. It has only improved greatly since then. I've had a few phones and found the Nokia 6200 to be the best so far. I get reception everywhere i need it and AT&T has filled in many of the TDMA dead spots.

I think there is a good chance AT&T will soon stop investing in TDMA because everyone is moving to GSM and the phones have better features and RF. So I dont understand why people bash AT&T so badly. My only complaint is the expensive internet charges.

28. YRless

YRless New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3560
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT Wireless TDMA
    Personaly I have had ATT TDMA in the Boston area since May, I have had no problems with it until recently, the dropped calls/ reception have never been as good as verizon which I had for about 5 years. Recenly I have recieved a lot more all circuits are busy and fast busy's when I dial a number. In addtion sometimes people cannot hear me but I can hear them.

29. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

This is exactly the problems I started having late november. Sometimes I can't even place a call at 2am!!!! I dont think all circuits should be busy in suburbs at 2am!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus a lot of the calls are going to my voicemail and the phone doesn't even ring.. Seems like AT&T doesn't really care about TDMA customers..

I'm about to call them and ask for a free month, so I can "evaluate" their commitment to address this issue. But most likely I'll endup canceling my service on the same call.
    Anybody knows a good phone number to call? Is there a retention department or something??

30. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

Because their GSM plans are not nearly as good as old TDMA plans!!!!!!!!!!1
    I pay $50-51 for 1355 anytime minuts + unlmitted nights and weekends starting at 8pm. Some of my bills have over 4000 nights and weekend minutes!! My plan compleatly covers PA, DE & NJ, plus some cities like NYC, Boston and most of MD... which is exactly what I need. Can any other carrier including AT&T GSM offer anything like that for $50???? I know tmobile offers 3000 minutes + you can probably buy nights and weekends.. but I'm sure there are alot more dead gsm spots then tdma in suburbs...