Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T 3G to Hickory, NC???

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by bigbadshawn, Nov 17, 2007.

1. bigbadshawn

bigbadshawn New Member

Anyone know when or if (gulp) they'll be expanding to Hickory, NC? Read in another post about them adding 3G in Fayetteville, but didn't see Hickory on the list. The people at the local store told me (after buying a laptop card) that it would be 1st quarter 2008, but I can't find any confirmation of that anywhere. Should've done my research, but can return the card within 30 days if 3G is nowhere close. Thanks.

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Alltel activated EV-DO in Hickory at the end of October and has it through most of NC. Verizon activated EV-DO in Hickory at the end of September. I would really be surprised if At&t got it there as fast as Q12008 because they've traditionally been quite a bit behind on high speed data in this part of the country, but you never know. Either of the alternatives should be a little faster than 3G. By each company's claims for the same price, At&t claims 3G speeds at 400-700 kbps average with bursts over 1 mbps. Alltel claims average EVDO speeds at 400-700 kbps with bursts over 2.4 mbps.

3. andy6432668

andy6432668 Member

My Phone:
    Nextel i850
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Nextel
    I think you heared wrong it is more like 1st quarter of 2018 don't expect AT&T to expand its 3g network any time soon.

4. bigbadshawn

bigbadshawn New Member

Hmmm...maybe I did heared wrong. Regardless, I'm not hanging around to find out--taking the AT&T card back today and switching to Verizon--same price but faster service. Thanks to everyone who replied.;)

5. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Just make sure you understand Verizon's Terms of Service and everything they restrict. If you use over 5GB/month (usually from downloading things prohibited in the TOS) they'll cancel your service.

It's never a good idea to buy something based on what a salesman is going to happen in the future. But if you want faster service than At&t but don't want to worry about using Too Much internet, you may want to check out alltel. They're unlimited, high-speed, and the same price as the others.

6. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Areed. Don't be too hasty about snapping up a Verizon card. I would suggest Alltel over Verizon. Stop in at your Alltel store and see what you can find there. If it doesn't work out, you can get a card from Verizon. 5GB in a month is very easy to go over. It is much better to have an Unlimited plan that is truly unlimited instead of an Unlimited plan with a 5gb cap. Alltel is definitely worth considering because for the same price you have truly unlimited data.

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

They are planning on upgrading all to 3G in 08 so I don't think it's another 10 years from 2008.

8. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Agreed, and there's 3G about 10-15 miles from Hickory (according to the coverage maps) so i wouldnt be surprised if its there within the next 3-4 months.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...