Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AT&T 3G antenna question

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Day5InJanuary, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    i just had about AT&T's 3G coverage, as AT&T is spreading 3G out, do they have to add new cell antennas or panels? i know when verizon added V-cast EV-DO coverage to my town they added 2 smaller panels to the tower. i was just wondering if AT&T is adding new panels or antennas for 3G, thanks !

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea i think they just add new equipment to whats existing from the discussions on here before.

3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    So far ATT has deployed 3G on their existing 2G bands (850/1900) so they should be able to re-use their existing antennas with the use of some filters, splitters, etc. Or they can put up new antennas for 3G for other reasons also (maybe 2G and 3G need different tilts and azimuths, etc.).

If/when they launch 3G on a new freq like 700 or 1700 then they'll need all new antennas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Reason i am asking is because of the AT&T tower in my town. i drove by the other day and i noticed there are brand new skinnier longer panels up. they used to be really short and kind wide. now they are very skinny and long i think it may have to do with 3G becasue AT&T has deployed 3G almost everywhere around my town. we may be next hopefully( even though i do not have AT&T) still hoep so fo rthe AT&T users, like my dad. will have to check his phone to see if it reads 3G.

5. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    That does sound like they are getting ready to start offering 3G. Did all the panels get replaced or do they have a combination of the older ones and the new ones on each sector?

6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Probably adding 3G then. Maybe the old antennas were only 850 and the new ones dual-band 850/1900.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    all the panels are replaced. brand new. all the same type of panels.