Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ask Questions on Verizon Wireless Data Service here...

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ChrisVZW, Oct 16, 2002.

1. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi, In California Verizon is offering two types of Express Network Plans that I am intrested in.

1. Express Network calling plans - They are like the National OneRate plans, but allow you to use your minutes on the Express Network too. For $75 you get 600 minutes and additional minutes are $0.35

2. MB Plans - Since I need to add this plan to my regular plan, the only one I would go for is the 10MB for $35 & additional kilobytes are $0.008

I am hoping that someone can tell me which is the better deal or which plan I should go with. It is hard to compare these plans as I am not sure how many MB or KB I normally use surfing in a certain time frame. I average 200 min. a month for calls, but the data use will be very speratic 200 min. to 1400 min.(I'm guessing) when I am traveling. Any help of any kind will be greatly appreciated, please let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you!

2. nuxbe

nuxbe New Member

You'd have to figure out whats best for you. If you're going to be doing a lot of surfing, then the MB plans wouldn't be for you. Those are designed for people who need to be on the internet at all times but actually send little data back and forth. I would probally sugguest a per minute plan.

3. cocoagirl

cocoagirl New Member

The service update using *228 on Verizon phones that is suggested for every 3 months, does anyone use it and if so, are there any differences noticed in phone service?

4. Mharris6474

Mharris6474 New Member

I have a T720 and I'm having trouble with the phone would you please help me my e-mail is Mharris6474@hotmail.com

5. PatP

PatP Junior Member

Funny, but my Samsung SPH-I300 reaches any HTML web site I point it at (albeit rather slowly). It has since late 2001. While most cell phones probably can't do that, the SPH-I300, some of the HandSpring Treos, and probably any of the cell phones based on the Microsoft Smartphone can access HTML web sites.

-PatP

6. jcr

jcr New Member

First off, thanks a whole lot for your time and GREAT info, Chris--MUCH appreciated.
    I quit the RV lifestyle several years ago because there seemed to be no acceptable way to combine such a life with a lot of internet use, so my head is spinning when I read all these great posts that suggest things have changed so dramatically of late. Is it really possible to access the internet with oneâ??s laptop via a high-speed digital network through a cell-phone? And what are the speeds really like?? How does this arrangement compare with the (sadly) unaffordable 2-way satellite options?
    Also, from what I hear, Verizon has a much better coverage than Sprint for about the same price (I donâ??t like what I read a few posts back about the possibility of getting cut off if one uses their Vision service for oneâ??s laptop as I am very internet-dependent). Is this true?
    And finally, are there are any highly mobile road-warriors reading this who have had first-hand experience with Verizonâ??s Express Network used with a laptop, and if so, what are your impressions, especially regarding access in more remote places?
    Thanks to all, and forgive me if my questions seem redundant but, as I said, my head is spinning and I need someone to "pinch" me and assure me I'm not dreaming!
    James
    [​IMG]

7. jcr

jcr New Member

Since my last post, I have been checking out the coverage-area maps for Sprint and Verizon and am thinking that perhaps the former has better coverage in the Western States. Anyone else under the same impression or am I just imagining it?
    Thanks again,
    James

8. MSS

MSS New Member

I drove from San Diego to Mammoth on the 15, then highway 395. My buddy was able to access the Internet almost the whole time. We finally lost the signal north of Bishops, but re-gained it in Mammoth. We were using a Laptop with a 1X aircard. The datarate is typically about 56K. Not super fast, but a lot better than nothing.

9. jcr

jcr New Member

Thanks for the info on your trip to Mammoth--most interesting as that is hardly a main route. Sounds impressive to me.
    Happy travels.

10. qwertyasd

qwertyasd New Member

Have some stupid newbie questions:

- A verizon sales person told me that if I'm using quick2net and I'm in an area that supports X1, I'll automatically switch over at no charge other than airtime. Is he right about this?

- Does quick2net use ppp or pptp? If it's ppp, I'd rather use the dial up support in W2K, but otherwise I guess I'll need the Verison kit. Can I use a cheap ebay cable and download the client software?

- This next question is off topic for this thread and may be ignored. Will the data cable enable me to upload graphics and ringtones to my phone? Can I sync my phone book?

Thanks
    Rob

11. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    qwertyasd -

1. If he said that you will switch over to Express Network, he is wrong way wrong.

2. Q2N can be set up with a win2k internet connection. Click here for intructions on win2k set up. Any cable that fits the VX1 & VX10 will work. So the one on eBay should be OK. Then all you should need are the USB drivers from Futuredial.

3. Yes you can upload wallpapers & ringtones. Do a search on the LG forum for GAGIN or BITPIM. You may want to check out howardforums.com for some good tuturals. Please be careful, with these programs you can seriously mess up your phone.

12. tmgoethe

tmgoethe New Member

Thanks for all of the info!!

Did I understand correctly that the Express Network connection on the T-720 can be made with the True Sync software? Is this with either the serial or the USB cable? I only have the serial one and can't get it to go. I am using the Smith Micro software, but it is a bit buggy and I have to constantly reinstall the connections within the software. Thanks again!!

13. yellowperil

yellowperil New Member

i originally posted this as it's own thread then i saw this one so i'll post it here too since i've read a lot of good answers that people have given here.

i've been using the verizon quick2net connection while i've been on the road and it has proved to be very useful since all i really need to do is check and send emails but one annoying thing is they seem to have blocked the outgoing/smtp port... port 25 i think it is. all the isp out there seem to be doing the same thing thanks to usapa but you can usually send outgoing emails so long as you use an account on whichever server it is you're trying to send the outgoing email. so basically anyone know how to send outgoing/smtp emails on quick2net?

much thanks,
    steve

14. SGM

SGM New Member

My Phone:
    Mot v7109
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just picked up a V60s and plan to use it on a NA 400 minute plan. The problem is that I can't get my computer to recognize it as a modem. I have the VZ mobile office kits for the 7686, V60 and 720, but it still won't recognize the phone...it wants the V60p driver. I really don't want to buy a 4th kit just for the driver as the USB cable should work. Is there somewhere else to get it?

Thanks

15. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

I do not believe that Verizon blocks access to to any ports, especially the standard SMTP (if they did, I suspect there would be many more of these posts). The likely cause of your inability to send messages is that your provider has recently implimented some sort of authentication requirement that is not being met because you are connecting through Verizon and not directly to the ISP. Since your IP is assigned by Verizon, it obviously would not fall in the ISPs IP range. Some ISPs (like Earthlink and Comcast) support SMTP Authentication, where the username/password is supplied for the outgoing server. You may want to look into that.

16. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

The Express Networks connection can be established using Windows DUN without any specific software. It does require the use of USB data cable and the necessary drivers for your handset (some are available from )FutureDial