Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ask Questions on Verizon Wireless Data Service here...

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ChrisVZW, Oct 16, 2002.

1. question

question Member

Will Verizon Wireless ever come to San Angelo Texas???

2. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

If you purchased Motorola's kit for the t720 directly from Motorola, that would explain why you said GPRS. GPRS is the data service that is offered by AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. So it sounds like you are using the wrong software.

The high speed service (Express Network) from verizon is the CDMA 2000 (1xrtt) technology. Your kit may have software for multiple carriers. If you purchased it directly from Verizon, it would be different software (from Smith-Micro) and is specifically for Verizon. You will have two options. Use the free service (Quick2Net) at the 14.4Kbps or pay for the Express Network feature (up to 144Kbps). Using the Quick2Net service, you are just using minutes from your plan. For the Express, you add a feature which can be for unlimited usage, by megabit, or by minute of use.

Sprint's unlimited service (at $40) is intended for browsing from the phone only. Infact, their contract states that laptop use is not permitted. To get around that, some people have bought kits such as yours and hooked them up to their laptop, but Sprint monitors your usage and after you pass a certain amount of data transfer, your service could be disconnected. (You can probably read about other's experiences on this in other topics in this forum...and see what Sprint is telling them. I've heard several different versions of how they monitor usage and what the limit is). But again, that "unlimited" plan is for browsing from the phone itself. They have a laptop unlimited plan at $100 dollars a month...as does Verizon.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Verizon does not presently have service in San Angelo, TX. I have learned that Verizon owns licenses (PCS) to operate in that market, so it is possible that service may be available in the future. However, such future deployment plans are proprietary and unfortunately not for public disclosure. You can call Verizon's customer service at 1-888-466-4646 to express your interests/concerns.

3. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Chris SPCS has other rates for laptops also:

PCS Vision for Laptops and PDAs

PCS Vision Plans for Laptops and PDAs include megabytes for usage and are designed to provide access to company resources while away from the office.
    MONTHLY CHARGE $39.99/20 MB $59.99/40 MB $79.99/70 MB $99.99/UNLMITED

· Additional kilobytes are $.002 each on the 20MB, 40MB and 70MB plans.
    · Voice calls made on PCS Connection Cards with voice capability will incur a charge of $.20 per minute.

Does Verizon offer similar plans?

And when does Verizon expect to begin selling their express network in Savannah, GA/ Charleston, SC area?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JimHovey

JimHovey New Member

I am close to signing up for service with Verizon, but they have been totally contraditory on the Quick2Net feature. To my question below I have gotten anywhere from yes, to no, to $6.99 extra [I think they got confused with the Mobile Web option which does not fit need], to knowing nothing about it. In reading this and some other posts on the Internet, am I correct to understand....

Using a standard calling plan (such as the America's Choice plan) one can connect a laptop running Windows ME using Verizon's "Mobile Office Kit" with a compatible cell phone as the modem, such as the Motorola 120e, using the Quick2Net service to access the Internet (albiet slowly at 14.4Kbs)?

In short, can I connect as per the above? Do you or someone you know first hand connect in that or a similar manner? Or will I have to go with an Express Network plan?

Granted, Express Network is faster, but for our 2-3 times a month weekend "vacation spot" I only want to make some infrequent connections to get my text email and reply to it. In that case, Express Network plans are really overkill.

P.S. Verizon is the only wireless provider that offers decent access in both my home and "vacation" locations. So AT&T, Sprint, Alltel, T-Mobile and other plans do not fit.

5. agricola

agricola New Member

I currently use Verizon's Mobile Office / Quick2Net, serial cable, & Kyocera 2135, to connect my laptop to the web when I am travelling.
    I would like to save money by using what I already have, and get a Palm OS PDA for web access, moving emails, etc. I believe I could already do this with a Palm IIIc for which my set up may have been designed, but I prefer to get a newer Palm PDA (preferably a Sony Clie T665).
    Do you know of any palm OS pda I could conect to what I have ?
    If not, what cell phone/palm OS pda combination is available?

6. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

For Verizon's latest MB pricing, visit this link:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/express_network/exp_terms.html#EN2

This is the pricing today (12-6-2002):

Monthly Access $35 $55 $75 $99
    Monthly Express Network Allowance 10MB 20MB 40MB Unlimited

More expensive than SPCS, but Verizon's national 3G network is larger (and growing), so it is arguable a better value depending on where, and at what quality, you require service.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Verizon plans to have every digital cell site upgraded to 3G by the second quarter of next year. Specific locations again are proprietary and not subject to public disclosure, so I can't tell you when Express Network will be available for those areas. 3G service is already available in over 800 cities throughout the US. Visit this site to find if service is available in a specific location and to view maps:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/jsp/express_network/availability_us.jsp?p_dsply=reg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JimHovey--I will get to your questions soon!

7. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

JimHovey,

Using the Quick2Net connection is free and only uses minutes from your calling plan. It is slow (14.4Kbps), but that speed is more than adequate if you want to keep up with your e-mail while on the go or on vacation. The only thing you need to purchase is the Mobile Office Kit for your phone. It includes a cable and software/drivers for your phone. Each kit lists the operating systems that are supported (Windows ME should be one of those). You can purchase that kit at a Verizon Wireless retail store, or online. If you have other devices (palm, pocketpc, etc) that you want to buy a cable for to use QNC (Quick2Net Connect), third party vendors such as www.thesupplynet.com have a variety of cables for almost any device.

I use QNC (when necessary since I have Express Network service) and on a verizon phone, all that is required is your handset, connectivity cable/software and:

Phone number: #777
    username: qnc
    passord: qnc

The $6.99 feature charge is only for Mobile Web from the handset itself. Hooking your phone to a laptop will only use your minutes with QNC and does not require an extra feature charge. Also, Express Network is not required at all, only if you want a high speed connection.

I don't know if you have called this number, but for sales or technical support try: 1-800-308-DATA (3282). This is Verizon's data sales and support number.

Hope that helps!
    Chris

8. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

agricola-

I recommend visiting www.thesupplynet.com to find a cable for the Palm device you are looking for. With the wide variety of devices out the, Verizon can generally only provide cables and software for laptops. Third party vendors such as The Supply Net fill in the gaps as new devices come out.

You can explore the cables available by what phone you have and to which device you would like to connect. Here is a link on a search I did for Kyocera phones and the devices they have cables for. Kyocera often provides kits for a variety of devices as well.

http://www.thesupplynet.com/searchResults.cfm?prodMadeBy=43&SubString=&mySearch=mfg

Good luck!
    Chris

9. agricola

agricola New Member

Chris,
    You gave the info I was looking for.!
    Thanks,

A.

10. JimHovey

JimHovey New Member

Chris,

Thank ... you've been extremely helpful and provided just the information I need! [​IMG]

Jim

11. DRS

DRS New Member

Anyone know how I can become a beta tester for new equipment/services on the Verizon Wireless network, possibly even the 1xEV-DO stuff in D.C.?

Thanks.

12. obrm

obrm New Member

What a nice offer.

I have a Motorola T-720 and a SONY Clie T615. I have a cable from Supplynet and all was working well ... at first. Then I started not being able to connect. Then I could again...

And now I can't...

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with this? Or is it just me? Or is there something I can do?

Thanks!

13. CoreyTheGent

CoreyTheGent Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Do any of you know how to change the amount of time before the phone "time's out" on the web? Let me give you an example..

When I'm on the web on my T720, looking at sports scores, the weather, headline news, etc., I go to the first page, and as I begin scrolling down the phone will "time out" or lose its connection with the Mobile web network. Then, when I get to the bottom of the page to hit "Next Page," it goes through this process of "Connecting..." "Sending..." crap with the hourglass.

If the phone wouldn't time out, however, and stayed connected, I'd be able to click "Next Page" or "More" and go right to it. Usually it times out after about 10 seconds. Is there anyway to change this?

14. CoreyTheGent

CoreyTheGent Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  15. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

Corey--I'd reccommend that you bring your handset in to one of Verizon's Communication Stores to have a tech look at it. I've never heard of that problem. I have seen it be slow moving between sites or tasks on the phone (perhaps Motorola should add more memory in the future models) but not like you have described. They will either be able to fix it or replace your handset with a new one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It could be an issue of timeout settings on your dialup network connection, or perhaps low signal strength causing your issue.

Unfortunately with the Sony Clieo/t720 Handset setup, you may be stuck between a rock and a hard place for support. I'd start with the Supply Net as there is a chance they sold you a faulty cable (and the Supply Net is the only piece of the puzzle that you purchased who has a responsibility to get your phone working with your PDA...afterall you bought the cable for that purpose).

Sony probably won't support it if they don't sell Palm/PocketPC phone kits, nor will Verizon for the same reason officially...but I would suggest calling 1-800-308-DATA (Option 4) if all else fails. The Verizon support engineer you speak with may have be able to work through it with you and/or find someone in the group who can.

Example: MAC OS is not officially supported, but we have a few engineers with MAC experience and they were able to get a Kyocera 2235 working with MAC on Verizon's Express Network.

16. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

DRS

Verizon concluded the DC Area EVDO trial last month. The feedback was great (EVDO truly is a broadband experience), but at this time there are no plans for additional trials. In my use of EVDO I averaged speeds between 500-800Kbps. Not quite as fast as the fastest cable modems, but from a web/application perception standpoint it is smoking fast. We tried, VPN, Citrix, online gaming and it performed as well as my cable modem at home...but i could do it from a taxi cab or a train. However, it was announced this week that Verizon has no immediate plans to roll out EVDO. And I believe Sprint may be waiting for EVDV (which Verizon may end up doing as well).

EVDO requires a much more robust backend network (similar to ISP's designed to handle large data traffic) which could negatively affect voice traffic (all carrier's bread and butter). So it is not as simple as upgrading handsets/modems and cell towers. I think it will eventually happen (or the next derivative EVDV-data/voice), but not for some time. We'll see?

Other trials are coordinated through marketing and often take place all over the country (though San Diego--Qualcomm's headquarters-- is one of the main locations of new trials). Getting on board a trial often means being with the right company (for enterprise trialing) or being at the right place at the right time to get on a consumer trial.

But if something new comes up and consumer trialers are needed, I will be sure to post it to this board!!!

17. obrm

obrm New Member

If anyone else is having trouble with the Clie and the T720, I have gotten the answer from someone at Verizon. I'd be happy to post it if there's any interest.

18. LaxDad

LaxDad New Member

obrm, I would be interested in solutions to issues re: Motorola T720 / Clie if you could post them please. Thanks!

19. PJFlyer

PJFlyer New Member

[​IMG]
    Alright here goes... I want to access hotmail via waptunnel or some other (free) gateway. I am able to access mobile.msn via waptunnel but get an error nessage when I try to access hotmail (or some but not all of the other links). The error message is some sort of parsing error (document root element is missing). Can someone turn the light on for me??
    I am not thrilled enough with what VZW (or GiN) has to offer me right now and I don't want to pay for a product that I think stinks... if I could access websites that I need (I fly for a living and need to access weather sites/real time radar, etc...) then I would gladly pay for the monthly web service from Verizon. Right now it seems more of a toy than a tool, that is why I am looking for another way to access email (the only usefull web service I see coming from my phone right now, I know that this is only the beginning of the mobile web world but I've never been known for my patience...)

20. obrm

obrm New Member

OK, this is what they gave me, and it works for me:

Press the menu key (middle one at the top)
    Immediately press: 073887*
    It will ask for a security code. The security code is 000000
    (six zero's)
    Toward the bottom of the screen is an option for "data rates": Change it to 14.4/14.4

Hope that helps

21. obrm

obrm New Member

22. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ok, I'm a little confused... I aplogize if I'm behind where I should be but it's essential for me to understand.

I have a customer come in... they want to connect to the internet and use the cell phone as a modem. They don't want/need express network.

Solution: Q2N (i assume comes with the connectivity kits).

Hook your phone up to your laptop via connectivity cable, run the Q2N and boom you're on the internet (just uses airtime).

Do I have this down right or am I totally off track.

Regards.

23. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

you have it right jayc! it just uses airtime minutes when you are connected using QNC.

24. Revcon73

Revcon73 New Member

Thank you for your offer of help. I haven't been able to get Verizon to answer my questions as yet. I plan to switch to Verizon after having had ATT's National One Rate for 5 years. I travel alot and want to use my laptop to connect to the internet. Their coverage has been great all over. Now I would like Verizon's National Single Rate for voice and also have their Express Network for the internet. Is there any way to do this. So far It appears I must be on AC which does not have the all over U.S. coverage that I want for voice. I want to be able to use analog, digital and PCS on the same phone. Also which phone should I buy? Thanks for any info.

25. thehypercube

thehypercube New Member

i have been a verizon user for a year now. it is great that verizon rolled out the first express network to consumers, but now all my friends with sprint pcs are able to use their vision service to connect their laptops to their cell phones and get express speed internet service without any additional payment. what is the probability that verizon users will get this same luxury? currently its $99 a month for unlimited verizon express network and that kind of discrepancy in pricing is obviously a reason for any data minded consumer to switch services.

26. Chris54R

Chris54R New Member

I really don't know when Verizon will have other plans????

Sprint's plan is intended for handset usage ONLY. (Web surfing from the phone). But they did not think it out very far or thought that customers would take their handset and connect it to a laptop via a cable. Sprint also sells data modems, but they are only sold with a data plan ($99 a month). In fact, Sprint monitors your usage and may/could charge and/or disconnect your friends for using it on their laptop. Apparently it is indicated on their service plans that the Vision service ($10 a month unlimited) is for handset only and not for laptop use. I'd ask your friends to check their service agreements they signed to see what it says about the feature.

Basically, Sprint did not intend to make the plan so cheap for unlimited data from a laptop...but leave it to the public to find the loophole.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

America's Choice uses analog, digital and PCS, so I am not sure where you would be lacking in coverage. I probably could not answer that question for you very well. The sales reps and managers in Verizon stores are typically very knowledgeable on what the best plan is for your needs. I'd recommend that you visit a store and ask to speak to a manager about a national voice and DATA plan that will meet your needs.

I'm on the east coast, so I am not familiar with the network (or store personnel) in CA, but typically mangers can be very creative to find the best plan to meet your needs.

Depending on the amount of data usage you have planned, if it is moderate (meaning you only want to connect briefly to download e-mails with small attachments), then I would buy a 1X capable phone and a Mobile Office Kit cable. But I would only use QNC (the 14.4Kbps download speed service)...not Express Network. You should find that adequate and cost effective if you only connect for a few minutes a day to download e-mail and then disconnect. This service takes from your bucket of minutes just like a phone call and costs nothing additional. It is slow, but very adequate for checking e-mail which is small in size.

But if you would like to use corporate VPNs or applications, web surfing, etc...and you intend to be online for an extended amount of time, you would best be served by getting an AC plan for your voice usage and an Express Network plan for your data usage. This is intended if you are a heavy user of the internet. There is an unlimited usage plan that costs $99 a month. I would recommend that you start with your voice plan and add this data plan as a "trial".

There are also MB plans that charge you a fixed fee for a number of MBs per month to use. What you can do is use the $99 a month plan for the first couple of months, see how much data you are using (via your bill or call 1-800-308-3282 for Wireless Data Customer Service) and change your plan to a MB plan that is more in line with the amount of data that you actually use. Kinda like a trial plan. You need to have a good grasp on how much data you send and recieve so that you pick a MB plan that meets your needs (make sure that you will not incur overage charges by using more data than you though you would).

Hope that helps!

27. SteveS02

SteveS02 New Member

I've been connecting my V120c to my Clie for over a year. Last week, I switched to the V120e and switched to Express Network. 4 technicians later, it still doesn't work.

2 of the 4 techs knew less about this stuff than my 2 year old son. The other 2 seemed to have a clue, but no answers.

I think I'll go call them again [​IMG]

28. RickRoss

RickRoss New Member

Any update when Bluetooth phones will be available?

29. WillWarren

WillWarren New Member

30. WillWarren

WillWarren New Member

...Now the consensus is that only the Sprint version - the t608 - will have the bluetooth. What kind of thinking is that??? I see a carrier change in my immediate future![​IMG]