Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ask Questions on Verizon Wireless Data Service here...

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ChrisVZW, Oct 16, 2002.

1. ChrisVZW

ChrisVZW New Member

I will do my best to answer you questions on Verizon's data services!!!

2. huydo23

huydo23 New Member

any bluetooth phones coming out w/ 1X/RTT? what speeds are you getting for data?

thanks

3. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    What cities are covered by Verizons upgraded network?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Can I get MacOS X drivers for my LG VX10?

5. ChrisVZW

ChrisVZW New Member

Several Bluetooth phones have been tested or will be tested. Motorola has a bluetooth module for headsets and PCs that they may be releasing late this year or early next year. Embedded phones to follow, but hopefully there will be applications that can take advantage of what Bluetooth has to offer.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Verizon covers over 800 cities from Hawaii to Maine with 1XRTT service and are adding sites constantly. Full coverage of digital network expected by the first quarter of 2003. Check out http://www.verizonwireless.com/jsp/express_network/availability_us.jsp?p_dsply=reg for exact locations.

This is by far the largest deployment of highspeed wireless data. The entire network is not covered, by when a network is by far the largest and most extensive of any carrier there are many more sites to upgrade than other "national" carriers to truly be complete.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not aware of MAC drivers for the LGvx10. Drivers are available for the Kyocera 2235. I will post information about MAC drivers for 1X devices as I get them. The Macintosh is not officially supported, but demand is rising for support for many handsets to take advantage of our high speed network, so perhaps more drivers will be available soon.

6. GenoDC

GenoDC New Member

Will Verizon offer a Mobile Office Kit for the T720 that will allow date book synchronization with Outlook?

7. BroChick

BroChick New Member

I have been in the wireless industry for a while, but unfortunately I am completely internet retarded! Can you explain the basic differences and qualities that the different types of mobile internet services have and how they work? I am thinking of 1x, Brew, GPRS etc...I would appreciate it!
    Thanks!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

What a generous offer!

Here is my question: I am planning to become a new Verizon customer and want to know if I will be able to check my email from my local ISP (not hotmail, MSN, AOL) on my mobile phone. When I am traveling, I can go to any compute r and use a link on the ISP's website to a "webmail" feature that allows me to enter in my username and password and view email (without actually downloading it, so that when I get back home, I can still download it to my home computer).

I went to a Veri zon store today and the salesguy tried to add my ISP website as a link on his Motorola v60i to see if it would work but he couldn't make it work. Not sure if it was his cluelessness/impatience or some inability of the system/phone/technology itself. Any clue? Should this be do-able? The rep suggested that maybe only MSN/AOL/Hotmail addresses are supported. If so, I do NOT want to add a new email service or address.

If it is feasible, what Verizon services/features (Get it now? wireless web, etc) would I need to subscribe to in order to have periodic web access, and what phone would I need? I was looking at the v60i. Or do I need a phone with Express capabilities and is everything changing next February? HELP!!!!!!?[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice or answers....

9. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

Since cell phones can't access regular HTML websites (yet), you'd have to go to a specially designed website for a mobile phone that you can configure with the settings for your ISP's mail server. These kinds of sites are out there, but I can't think of the name of one right off hand.

10. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
  11. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

12. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

The Express Network (1X) is a 3G wireless data technology that enables data rates on the same level as traditional dial ups (between 40 and 60 with burst rates up to 144). The drawbacks of EN is the current price and to some extent the network coverage. However, coverage areas are constantly expanding and pricing will fall inline soon.

BREW is more like a shoping service than a data connection (like EN or Mobile Web/Office). BREW (or Get It Now) enables you to download different applications (like ringtones, games, image handlers, etc) directly to the handset. Here again, some of the pricing is ridiculous ($1.25 for one ringtone when they can likely be acquired for free).

13. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] I just got off the phone with Kyrocera's one of their representatives......I asked him about the Mac connectivity question? He told me that the "serial cable data kit" is PC friendly ( CD wise, plus having the PC drivers on that CD)...... BUT he told me once you have your dell phone and wireless service happening....ju st call them @ 1.800.349.4478 and ask for support and they will email you & set you up with the Mac drivers you will need! That's what they told me...I'm going cellular with Verizon soon...and using a 3035.....to use as my wireless modem for my older "serial port" Power Mac w/ OS 9.1"
    Plus I asked today when will the NEW Kyrocera 3225 model will come out? He said "in about 6-8 months"e[​IMG]
    I hope this info with help any Mac'ers out there? Good luck.o[​IMG]e

14. ChrisVZW

ChrisVZW New Member

cx3473359 answered most of these questions. Here is some insight into some of the others:

The Motorola T720 has a connectivity kit that is sold by Verizon Wireless which is by Smith Micro. However, I reccommend purchasing the software from Motorola directly. The have a new version for the 720 that will be available soon similar to TrueSync. The software offered by Verizon (Smith Micro) says that it will sync with Outlook/Outlook Express, but I have heard there are some problems with it. Motorola's sofware would be the best bet.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There were alot of good reccomendations on how to get your POP3 mail onto your handset, but they all require you connecting through a WAP browser to view your mail. Yahoo is nice because you can retrieve copies of your mail (so you can also download it later from your PC) from a POP3 account and view them through your yahoo account. If you prefer the v60i, then this is your best bet. However, there is a new phone coming from Motorola early next year called the v60x which will be EN capabable and have the GetItNow service.

The best reason to use a phone with a GetItNow service is that you can install a mail application called SodaPopMail so that you can download your e-mail directly to your phone. So you can view the mail on your handset, but only use airtime for the download, not for the browsing. I believe you can set it to leave a copy on the server, but I am not 100% certain of that. The T720 is the best GetItNow capable phone available right now, but the v60x may be available by February.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To give additional information on technology:

1XRTT or CDMA 2000 is the technology of choice for Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS. Verizon has national coverage in over 800 cities, which is larger than Sprints entire national service offering, and there are more cities to come. The benefits of CDMA 2000 is in data speeds (40-60Kbps up to 144Kbps) and in voice capacity. If every customer replaced their current handset with a 1X capable handset, Verizon and Sprint would be able to double the number of customers on their respective networks without sacrificing voice quality or capacity. That is a big advantage. Additionally, CDMA 2000 device are backwards compatible to the older CDMA IS-95.

GPRS is the data offering from companies such as T-Mobile (Voice Stream), AT&T and Cingular. GPRS stand for General Radio Packet Service. It also offers data speed increases over older technologies (GSM, TDMA and CDMA IS-95) but only reach between 20-50Kbps and peak at 105Kbps. It also does not increase capacity. This has become a big problem for carriers such as AT&T and Cingular who are moving from their TDMA networks to GSM/GPRS. Their dilemna is that they only have a limited amount of radio spectrum to build their new technology, but must split that spectrum with their existing TDMA infrastructure. The problem is that they end up sacrificing quality on both systems to attempt to support both systems. And GPRS devices are not backwards compatible to TDMA. They hope to move their customer base over from TDMA to GPRS, but they have to wait for customers to purchase new handsets, wait for their GPRS network to be built out and for all their paying TDMA users to upgrade before they can fully utilize their spectrum for GPRS and future technologies entirely. It is a rocky path to new services.

Pricing on all data services is an issue....everyone wants it to be cheaper, but you are paying for mobility...the speed on the Express Network may only be just slightly better than dial up, but you can't plug in a phone jack in a taxi cab or on a highway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'll try to answer these once a week, forgive me if I don't get back to them sooner. Thanks to everyone else who is offering their input!!!

15. CoreyTheGent

CoreyTheGent Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    On my old LG-TM510, I could access a WAP site all the time and very easily. Recently, I got a new one from my insurance company, and the WAP software is updated to Openwave 4.1.22(b). Now when I try to access this site, I get the error message of "1025: Infinite Redirect Loop." Do you have any idea what this means?

16. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    The Yahoo method you mention - this also requires access through a WAP browser. Is this correct?

17. ChrisVZW

ChrisVZW New Member

To use the Yahoo solution you need to use the WAP browser (airtime), just like you need to go out on a browser from your desktop for Yahoo mail.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to connect over your browser (especially if it is a newer version). I know some sites work on handsets that are newer, but not older due to the version of HDML or WML they were written in. I'd recommend calling customer service and asking to speak to a technician (1-800-922-0204) or *611 from your handset--no airtime charges for customer service (option 3 for questions on Mobile Web, or 0 for general customer support).

What is the site you are trying to get to??

18. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

1. What site are you attempting to access?
    2. Are you arriving at the site via bookmark or manually keying the address?
    3. Where is the bookmark stored (i.e. VZW.MSN)?
    4. Are you able to access any sites?

19. CoreyTheGent

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The site is: wap.literotica.com. No, I'm not a pervert, the owner of the site is a client of mine whom I won a lawsuit for in order to keep his/her site up. I have to periodically check on it to make sure the site is still up, and when I'm away from the office, I use my mobile web to check. It's basically the only reason I have mobile web and without being able to view this site, it's worthless to me. I can access all other sites (movies, news, stocks, weather, etc.), and I just type it in where it says "Goto" rather than bookmark it because the bookmark stopped working and I erased it. I am in contact with the owners of the site all the time, and they say it works with their wireless products. Is it just Verizon?

20. Guest

Guest Guest

With a Verizon phone that supports "Get It Now" (otherwise known as "BREW"...) you can download Soda-Pop Mail, a POP email client. Goto www.sodapopmail.com for info. Let's you access you POP mail on your phone, plus MSN/Hotmail.

21. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

I took a look at the site from the cell (w/Verizon service) and was able to access it. In the url for the page, you are using the complete; http://wap.literotica.com, correct?

22. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    I tried this url and was NOT able to access it?!?

23. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

Did you receive the same error message as CoreyTheGent? You are using the VZW.MSN portal, right (search/bookmarks > goto: > http://[i]url[/i])? Have you tried to sign into a .NET Passport and add a bookmark for the site?

24. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Did you receive the same error message as CoreyTheGent?
    Yes, I did.

You are using the VZW.MSN portal, right (search/bookmarks > goto: > http://ur?
    Yes, I am.

Have you tried to sign into a .NET Passport and add a bookmark for the site?
    Yes, I did - got the same "infinite loop" message.

I was able to acccess the site using WAPJAG.COM's WAP emulator on the Web. However, it seemed to go into a loop also. I was, however, able to get far enough to see what type of content it is.

25. AndyM

AndyM New Member

Hi, what's the current situation with Bluetooth phones for VZW in the northeast US (Boston market)?

I want to keep my current VZW service but move up to a Palm Tungsten T w/Bluetooth, a Bluetooth-enabled phone, and 1xRTT. Are there any phones for sale that could fit the bill? There are plenty of GSM phones with Bluetooth, but I want to stay with VZW if I can.

Thanks!

26. cx3473359

cx3473359 New Member

Verizon has only offered 1 Bluetooth capable phone. The Motorola v270. Unfortunately, this phone (to my knowledge) is no longer for sale and does not support 1X.

27. CoreyTheGent

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Chris, why can you access that site I mentioned earlier but I can't? What verzion of WAP is on your phone? Is it just Verizon?

28. ChrisVZW

ChrisVZW New Member

My version of OpenWave Browser is 4.1.25i (T720), but I am also unable to access the site. I tried the WAP emulator and it works using HTTP://WAP.LITEROTICA.COM

What phone are you using?

29. Meat

Meat New Member

30. Meat

Meat New Member

I purchased Motorola's data kit with GPRS manager software. Could you give me the info the GPRS software is requesting when I attempt to set it up?

I need the Access Point Name, Username, and the Password.

Also, I was told by a support rep that the connection speed would be limited to 14.4 through this connection and that higher speeds would be considered their "Express Network" product and therefor be an axtra charge. This news is highly disapointing considering Sprint has unlimited High Speed for only $40/mo!