Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple Article: The Apple bias is real

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by JFB, Sep 23, 2015.

1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    M in LA, charlyee and viewfly like this.
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It is a good article. Thanks for sharing.

3. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

That article was nicely done.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I finally took the iPhone plunge this past May when my Android HTC Droid DNA exhibited severe battery drain. I got the 6 Plus to replace the DNA. I didn't think iOS would win me over the way it did. I was completely prepared to return the iPhone and settle on the Samsung Note 4 if all else failed. After several days, I realized the iPhone was IT. For me, whatever I thought made Android better, was quickly washed away by the ease of use, fluid operation, excellent app ecosystem, clean UI, and simplicity of settings. I liked everything the iPhone 6 Plus did and then some.

No one was more surprised than me that I would favor iOS and the iPhone more than Android. I didn't expect it and I didn't set either up to fail because of expectations. For what I needed and wanted the phone to do, the iPhone blew any Android device I've ever used away. So I am not surprised there is an Apple bias. From this point on, the iPhone will be my phone of choice. They've won me over clearly. Despite recent issues, Apple delivers an amazing product. The reputation and allegiance they have from consumers is a testament to what they've done right.

Ultimately, it's a "to each his own" when it comes to mobile phones. WE have the choice and we go with what we like and stick with what works. For me, this is Apple now. Bias or no bias.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: It was actually a pleasure reading your review. I sensed fairness and objectivity in your review. I wish you the best and please keep us informed in the next few months about your views comparing Android and iOS. I can't see myself ever changing (mostly because of my investment in apps, knowledge-base, and more). But when I'm asked by others to compare, I do try to keep an open mind and objective viewpoint. What I'm finding is that those that really don't want to tinker with settings are happy with Apple while those that like to tinker find apple too restrictive. Many of those coming to me are 1st-time smartphone buyers. I try to assess their degree of technical interest and recommend from there. Now that (upper-end) Android products are just as expensive as Apple, cost is no longer a reason to go with Android.

M in LA likes this.
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @M in LA, a very pleasant review to read. To each his own, yes, and kudos to you for giving the iPhone and iOS a tryout. Happy that you came away so satisfied.

@KevinJames. I have to make the point, that among my (MIT/Princeton/Caltech/Harvard) trained friends in computer science and other sciences, they can run circles around the few Android users I personally know. Those Android users went for 'cheap', not the ability to Tweak. Indeed, tech friends admire the engineering quality of the iPhone, and are writing their own apps for it. They are in no way to be considered tech weaklings. One can use it as it is, with ease, or dig as deep as you wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 viewfly, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: Sheesh, even when I try to compliment iPhone users, I get criticized. Good thing I have thick skin. ;) My comments are based on MANY conversations that I have with both iPhone users and Android users. I did not mean to belittle the small percentage of techs that are iPhone supporters. In general, "most" consumer-level buyers see the iPhone as much easier to use than Android.

As far as your observation that "Android users went for 'cheap,' not to ... tweak," guess what? That is exactly the reason I originally went for Android. I couldn't afford the over-inflated ego-fed prices that Apple is so famous for -- AND that was while I actually worked for AT&T making very good money. Now-a-days, the upper end Android phones are just as pricey (which is especially true of Samsung who has copied more than just design. They have copied the arrogance and attempt to present itself as a premium product. I hate that about both Apple and Samsung -- they have tried to make owning one of their devices a "status image" thing. Where cars used to hold that for most people (and to some degree still do), phones have now become the "envy" item. I feel like screaming: "Sheesh people, get a clue, it is just a phone!" And please don't get me wrong on this point. I appreciate beauty in design. It is just that function suffers for design and prices are unnecessarily inflated (IMHO).

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @KevinJames...no offense, but it's a typical backhanded compliment,no? Techies are Android users?

Your entire former wireless industry's business model is based on status symbols and image, way before Apple.

The reason 82% of users are Android, is because it's a cheap entry, not because they are high tech users. I think you know that.

Step back in time:

"I'm (or my manager thinks), so important, I will pay hundreds of $ a month ( plus $1 per min for sent/received calls + 50 cents per little text+ ridiculous data prices), for an 20% chance I'll be in a working cell area??? Man, I need one to show how important I am, no?

AT&T, Verizon made people feel that way

My opinion, based on facts, is that every high end phone has had the same entry price, regardless of brand. Blackberry, higher end Nokia, PalmPilots, and Motorola's, only carried in Europe. Apple just decided not to enter the low end market.

" hey, I'm so important, look at me at the airport, swinging that cell phone on my belt clip, and that's not your cheapie clunky Moto either; that's a eurooopeean made slick Nokia, I paid extra $ for, since AT&T doesn't carry this puppy (oh, psst, you think that your phone was free? You are really paying a monthly charge in your contract, sneaky, huh?)"

Oh yes, there is the geeky market that just thinks this radio stuff is so cool, and the engineering so neat, that I'll pay $100's a month to have it....no friends have any to talk with? No problem. Looky here, I can order a pizza from my car! Oh, yes, watch this: " hi honey, just calling to let you know that I'm around the corner,and be home in 10 seconds....BTW, how do I sound, clear? Honey!, honey? "

The carriers instilled envy, and we were all sheep, before Apple entered the market.

The tech's, geeky market always goes for the fun of it and admiration on what can be done, and well engineered software and hardware, regardless of brand.

The high overpriced "must have" status symbol, is the business model of the carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) industry. No one really needed it., and it didn't start or end with Apple.

No criticism of your opinions, and no offense taken, but the tech=Android theory....ridiculous. And another kind of status symbol, no? Think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 viewfly, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Here is my 2 cents:

I am a techie, not a techie from any Ivy League college but from a private college in Milwaukee WI. I have always loved fiddling with my devices to see how much I can change/customize.

I was very happy with customizing Androids, all of which were high end, so I didn't go into Androids for price but for the ease of modding and custom ROMs.

Then two things happened, the little irritations of Android were getting to me and I came close to bricking my devices too often. I was also wasting too much time "playing" with my phone (per my hubby).

So I switched to WP but after sometime it seemed custom ROMs were starting to happen and also it was lacking in apps.

So guess what? I decided to get the iPhone 5 to prevent myself from trying to customize it. Yes I know I could JB it but it was certainly not as easy as an Android device.

I achieved my goal and came to like it as a dependable device as in "it just works".

palandri and budney like this.
  10. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    That's what my wife says to me. :LOL:

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I'm sorry my personal observations have been taken as unyielding bias. At this point in my life, I just want to live in peace, respect others and be respected. Every system has it good and bad sides. I guess I'll have to go back to something i said more than a decade ago: "This ain't about religion, this ain't about 'my nation right or wrong,' this ain't about insulting your wife or girl friend. It is a just wireless phone discussion."

I will probably never yield on my feelings for Apple as a company. But I am open and can readily see iPhone (notice I didn't write "iPhoney", as I usually do), is a good and viable choice for many people. That doesn't make them my enemy. That just makes them people that expressed their freedom of choice differently than I expressed mine.

12. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    LOL, is the iPhone vs. Android thing still going on? Who cares. Since I switched back to BlackBerry I live in peaceful bliss :) Actually, some of the smartest people I know who are designing telecom networks are using some of the oldest, crappiest phones I've seen, LOL. Some people don't seem to realize that they don't need apps and games on a phone. Actually, "dumb" phones are definitely more secure, no GPS tracking, no getting hacked, getting personal data like photos and fingerprints stolen, etc..

KevinJames likes this.
  13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Admittedly, I'm addicted to apps.

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Sorry but some people do need apps on their phone. :)

I have always used my handhelds, starting from my Palm days as a portable computer when a true computer is not handy. There is very little you can not do on today's Smartphones and that's very convenient for me.

I cannot see myself doing any of it on a "dumb phone". Heck I have enough trouble doing anything but voice and SMS/MMS on my wannabe Smartphone Nokia Asha 311.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

15. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    What apps do you "need"?

16. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    When did you get that toy?

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    lol palandri, can't get anything past you. :D

I have had the Asha for a couple of years, I actually got that for hubby who is still complaining how much easier the Nokia 6131 was. In all fairness he only uses his phone for voice calls and replying to SMS.
    1. Two critical medical apps for my diabetic father.
    2. Surveillance camera app, again for my father.
    3. Email, iMessage, Hangouts, Messenger, and Whatsapp(which seems to be the thing amongst all my relatives in India, and the best way to communicate with them).
    4. Evernote, Excel, Word, OneNote, Blogger, etc which sync seamlessly across all my devices.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

palandri likes this.
  18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Is that for overseas travel- your burner phone?

Oh. Your hubby. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk