Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Arizona GSM Followup

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Gideon H, May 14, 2004.

1. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Cingular had no presence here, pre-acquisition, so what we had then is whats being used currently to this point!!!:)

2. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I know I was certainly impressed w/ what I saw w/ TMo's coverage both on TMo's coverage locator, as well as when LbMike was in doing side by side coverage reports!!!

I have been to the top of the mountains, and it is good!!!:biggrin:

Get here soon, Rancid!!!

3. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    GSM is great in AZ :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey hey, Stranger!!! Nice to see you around these parts!!! Ya planning on hanging around awhile???;)

5. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, I'm back from the honeymoon, so I might be able to get back into things again! No more wedding stuff!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    So, howdoes it feel to now be Mr. AzCellphonejunkie, as opposed to just AzCellphonejunkie???:)

7. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's nice, we are doing very well so far. Just having some of the post wedding stuff to wrap up, and moving on with life!

8. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Congrats,best wishes to you and your wife.:)

9. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for your wishes guys! They are much appreciated...

10. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    No Prob, AzCell!!!:)

11. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Lol AirB it is sad... yes, they have improved, but I will never go back. T-Mobile is great in Arizona and when I go back in June/July 2006 it will be 10x better with EDGE, possibly 850MHz, good phones, and who knows what else?

Yes, Cingular's coverage in Arizona is great because of AT&T. But after the horrid experience I had with them, I will never go back (read my post in the ETF poll in the General forum).

12. dpoehls

dpoehls New Member

OK...moved to Prescott area from Tucson. Tucson has its coverage problems with AT&T, but here in Prescott I might as well be without a phone! I live in a planned community in Prescott Valley, about 2.5 miles south of a major highway (AZ69). There are about 3 small spots i my house where I can send and receive calls...and if I move even an inch from these places, my calls are dropped or I can not dial out. I go downtown fairly frequently (downtown Prescott) and in most of the buildings I get absolutely NO signal on my phone. I work at the VA Medical center (just outside of downtown) and get no signal in my office. These are the three places I need a signal MOST! Yeah, while driving here and there I can get a decent signal, but it is constantly being broken up by even the smallest of hills on each side of the HWY. Has anyone else had such terrible service with AT&T in Prescott area?? Have you switched to T-Mobile with any better results? I travel overseas and it is important for me to have a GSM phone, so thatis why I am pretty much stuck with AT&T or possibly T-Mobile.

13. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

Tmobile is about the same. there will be areas that it won't work as well, it's just not as good on gsm networks in northern az. if you really need good service, verizon is your best bet up there. If you want the overseas coverage, I would look at the blackberry 8830 with vzw, it works on cdma here and gsm overseas.

Good Luck!

14. dpoehls

dpoehls New Member

Does this phone allow use of a local SIM card? I have multiple cards for multiple locations.

Thanks!

15. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

From what i've heard, the slot can be unlocked and you can use sim cards from providers other than vzw. if you have multiple sim cards though, just keep your unlocked gsm phone to use when overseas, and get any verizon or alltel phone to use while here in the states.

16. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Alltel and vzw have the 8830 so you've got your pick of the best cdma providers in az......i'm pretty sure the gsm is unlocked to any carrier, especially the Alltel version because they don't really try to sell their own sim cards very much.

17. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):

btw, I had the 8830 for about 6 months and thought it was a fantastic phone with Verizon. I highly recommend it.

18. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Yes, AZ is not a prize-winner for AT&T, but your experience sounds a bit extreme even for AT&T. I would ask AT&T to help, maybe with a 'loaner' phone to see if that's the problem.

It would be fairly simple to try T-Mobile to see if it works better. If you can "unlock" your AT&T phone, you can buy a prepaid T-Mobile SIM for $10 and see if you get a signal. If that's beyond your capabilities, you can buy a prepaid T-Mobile phone ($30-40 at Walgreen's, Target or Wal-Mart) and try that. You could sell it all on eBay if it doesn't work out. If it does, then buy the T-Mo phone you really want.

In parts of Prescott AT&T & T-Mobile share the same cell sites, but not all. T-Mobile has made a big effort to improve service at "neighborhood" level, something that AT&T is not doing.