Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Are you interested in a Apple/Samsung Watch?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by RadioRaiders, Mar 20, 2013.

?

Would you buy a Apple or Samsung watch?

1. Yes, it's a great idea!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's not a good idea.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Maybe, I'd have to wait and see one.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    If Apple or Samsung came out with a bluetooth-enabled iOS or Android watch that could connect to your cellular phone, would you be interested in it?

According to this article, there is little interest or demand.
    Nobody needs an Apple iWatch or anything like it - Fortune Tech

Generally, I tend to agree that a watch would have limited functionality and therefore not be very useful. But on the other hand, if you put the right logo on it and market it well, then it could sell millions...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Watch? So 20th century! I'm waiting for upgradeable implant technology to become available.

P.S. Seriously, unless SmartWatch | MN2SW | Sony USA becomes a smashing success I don't see Apple or Samsung joining the fray. Sounds like a perfect market research tool for them :)

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have no desire to have a fancy electronic watch. I rarely wear a watch anyway, If I want to know what time it is, I just look on my phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I didn't know that I 'needed' a (smartphone, tablet, eyeglasses) until I finally got one. JK about the eyeglasses...but it is generally true for first time users ;)

Same with my Mom's hearing aid...

With these kind of things, one just has to wait and understand what is being offered...

5. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    A watch that communicates with your phone is like having a remote control on your car radio. Why do you need something to communicate with a device that is 2 feet away from you? Why not just communicate directly with the device?

Given the past failures in the area of "smart-watches", and not clearly seeing any useful purpose, my guess is that Samsung/Apple are doomed for failure with this. But I'll try to be open-minded and take the wait-and-see approach. Maybe there will be something on the watch that would make me change my tune. But if it's just a remote-control for my phone then it's already doomed. Besides I'm a fan of old-school analog watches.

...hey, what if the tables were turned, and an old-school watch-maker made a phone? That would be a good idea, wouldn't it? ...hmmm....
    Ulysse Nardin Chairman, 'World's Most Expensive Mobile Phone,' Is Totally Decadent (PHOTOS)

1 person likes this.
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hey RadioRaiders. I usually agree unconditionally with your posts. But not with the statement: "A watch that communicates with your phone is like having a remote control on your car radio. Why do you need something to communicate with a device that is 2 feet away from you? Why not just communicate directly with the device?"

I can think of at least one very useful business need for it: Discreet communications. In business meetings, it is usually considered bad manners to refer to your phone during the meeting. However, it is commonly accepted that people will discreetly look at their watches from time to time. I do in fact, even though I have a smartphone, also wear an analog watch because even checking the time on the phone is distracting to others. For those that need to receive important business notices, I can see one of the digital info-watches as being a very prudent purchase.

Beyond business, there are definitely occasions in a crowded public area that some may feel apprehensive about taking out their phone--given the continuing problem with phone theft. Given a bit more time, I know I could come up with other situations. However, I am not saying I need or even want such a device--only because they haven't really matured as a useful technology. When we get to the Dick Tracey level of tech, I may have to re-evaluate.

Here's a question: How soon after Google Glass is released will the public officials start banning them while driving or walking? LOL

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I suppose safety would be the answer. All newer cars have Play, Volume and Control buttons on the steering wheel, so one doesn't reach those '2 feet' to adjust the radio.

Even with my dashboard mounted phone and the audio pumped through my car system, I have to speak a bit loud for Siri to pick up my music selections. It would be easier to have the microphone on my wrist. And that would be useful if the mic on the watch Bluetoothed to the phone for calls. More in Europe than in the States, cars have microphones mounted near the sun visor. But here, having a microphone on my wrist, which is on the wheel is a closer distance than using the speaker phone, with the cell phone mounted on the dash. So clearer communications. My meaning is NOT that you raise your wrist to your mouth, but leave your hands on the steering wheel.

Of course if one has a BT headset, that point is mute. But not everyone does...and I've lost 4 of them already...less likely to lose one on my wrist.

Just a few reasons why it could be useful and not so strange of a gadget.

KevinJames...with FaceTime on an Apple watch...that pretty much is 'Dick Tracy' already ;)

8. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I was with you up to the "But" part, then you lost me ;)

If somebody is playing with their watch constantly, that's about as annoying as playing with their phone. At meetings I usually look at my phone time to time under the table while pretending to still listen to whoever is talking :cool: I agree a smart-watch could be useful in meeting situations, but only if it could monitor your heart-rate and eyelids, and be able to administer a 200V jolt to you when it sees that you are nodding off to sleep ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    You may actually have something there! Dang, I can't tell you how embarrassing it is. I have even fallen asleep during a video conference call with the team I was in. DANG! And twice I've momentarily fallen asleep in (stopped) rush-hour traffic. (Later learned I suffer from a very extreme case of sleep apnea. Doing better with the breathing mask now.)

But maybe just a high-powered, sub-dermal, mist injection of straight caffeine will do.

10. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Wow, I hope that sleep apnea thing doesn't happen too often, falling asleep behind the wheel is a serious danger. I was (sort of) joking about the watch keeping you awake in meeting, but if it could seriously monitor people at risk for falling asleep behind the wheel (eg. long distance truck drivers) and trigger an audio alert (or electrical jolt ;) )then that would be very useful.

My company has worked with some mHealth programs, where people with existing medical conditions would take some tests at home (eg. blood pressure, heart rate, etc.) with equipment connected to their mobile phone and then send it to their doctor in real time, so the doctor could monitor them at home. I would imagine a smart-watch with some sensors built in could be useful in a similar way.

Hmm, maybe I changed my tune a little on the smart-watch thing. I still don't think I'd want one myself, but could see it possibly being useful for some cases where people need to be monitored for health/safety reasons.

PS- I still prefer jolts of (preferably nuclear powered sourced) electricity to caffeine injections. Unless the caffeine injection is an extra-strong Italian double-espresso. Then it's a draw ;)

11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Well, if the watch has some useful functionality beyond being a remote display for the phone the way Sony's is, then it's a whole different story :)

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
  14. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm not really interested in the iWatch. I hated watches. And my smartphone tells me the time anyway. Maybe I'm just a simpleton lol. :)

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Maybe if it was this!

[video=youtube;gVeewGQdVyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVeewGQdVyg&sns=em[/video]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

16. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Lol. We may see something like that in 20 years lol.

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS