Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NORTHEAST U.S. -- Are there phones that do calls AND WiFi?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by sssster, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sssster

sssster New Member

I have a Verizon phone and an iTouch. I don't think I really need 24/7 internet access via a cellphone and a data package. The iTouch access via free WiFi points is enough for me. HOWEVER, I'd like to NOT have to carry both a phone AND an iTouch. Are there cellphones that also have iTouch-like WiFi access to the internet? If so, are any available through Verizon?

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    None that don't come with an automatic/"no way around it" data plan. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

Even older smartphones that predate Verizon's mandatory data plan inclusion will likely trigger a data plan if activated. Not sure if there is ANY smartphone of theirs they won't force a data plan on...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sssster

sssster New Member

Thanks, MM.
    Oh well. It was worth asking, anyway.
    Next post will be to ask about which Verizon Android phone has the best battery life.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Sorry I couldn't give you better news, but Verizon has closed any loophole to anything resembling what you wanted to do. In fact, all carriers have. It has to do more with the complexity of modern smartphones versus what was available just a few years ago. They require data or they simply won't function right. You lose what makes it a smartphone if you don't have constant data (especially if you were to only rely on WiFi).

As a Droid X owner, I can attest to it. You can't operate Android phones without data like you could with Windows Mobile phones of the past. Too much is tied to data (Google maps & navigation, most screen widgets, clocks with weather functions, etc.).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...