Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Are dual sim smartphones compatible with metroPCS?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by COMMA, Jun 18, 2015.

1. COMMA

COMMA New Member

I wanted to try metroPCS' new $30 plan, since I was currently in the basic $25 plan, so I was like why not. I took in my boyfriend's old phone, which happened to be a dual sim gsm phone. metroPCS is compatible with gsm phones.Well they said that dual sims don't seem to work when they open a plan on one. Supposedly they weren't really sure how to open a plan on a dual sim and told me that I could try somewhere else if I wanted to. I decided to stick to my current basic plan. To sum this whole thing up, is it even possible to use a dual sim smartphone with metroPCS? The girl who I talked to, said because it had 2 sim card slots, so it was both CDMA, GSM, and international, so supposedly it wasn't possible. From what I know a gsm phone is unlocked and cdma is not, so I don't even know why she said that. What is an international phone anyways? I'm pretty sure that the phone being international won't effect anything. Sorry for writing a lot. Thanks for the help everyone!

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    It sounds as if the clerk you spoke to doesn't really know. Phones containing a dual SIM slot also have internal hardware/software that control switching between the two SIMs. I personally have no experience with it, just a bit of tech knowledge. See if this article helps any: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-you-want-a-dual-sim-phone/

3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    All the dual-SIM phones I've seen are pure GSM/UMTS/LTE, so if your account on MetroPCS is with CDMA, you would need a phone capable of CDMA (which a dual-SIM phone most likely won't be).

If you currently have a GSM/UMTS/LTE phone, then just take your SIM card out and put it in the dual-SIM phone and that's it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JOHNNYDOGS

JOHNNYDOGS New Member

My Phone:
    813426779i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lgk20plus
    Who is familiar with the CMI Plus cellphone

5. LewisH95

LewisH95 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    JIO
    MetroPCS is compatible with gsm phones. Well, they said that dual sims don't seem to work when they open a plan on one.

6. rjniles2

rjniles2 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    Do you realize you are responding to 2-3 year old posts?

palandri and dmapr like this.
  7. mrgrtt123

mrgrtt123 Member

Not all, but there are a lot of smartphones that are compatible with MetroPCS.
    Try to check it online, you can surely find one that suits your needs.

8. LewisH95

LewisH95 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    JIO
    metroPCS is compatible with gsm phones. Well they said that dual sims don't seem to work when they open a plan on one.