Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Appreciation & Bewilderment

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Irv, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Irv

Irv New Member

Appreciation & Bewilderment

I'm new at this. In order to get my bearings in forum technics generally and WA in particular, I've gone thru the manual on how to use WA and thru the chitchat that showed up onscreen (going back to 3/3}. I'm impressed by the information and exchanges I salute the patience, earnestness, and goodwill that permeate the correspondence.
    At the same time I'm bewildered. I tuned in because the neophyte segment promises to be helpful. I've been trying to determine which system of prepaids would suit our needs. And the comments--the pros & cons for various services and options--reflect some of my experiences and criticisms. Granted that no system is perfect (I'd settle for 51% perfect by now), I'm in accord with most of the sharp observations.
    Most recently I've been looking at Tracfone (which doesn't rate a mention thus far in te correspondence). Went to one of the retail chains that sells the service, and I'm glad I didn't spring for even the minimal card ($17.99/30 min.) because mine is only a "safety" need--just "in case".... The phone (Nokia 252C) was almost spare enough for my purposes, without the bells & whistles. I spent about 15 hours over 2 days in getting 5 personal names and 12 or 13 phones among them entered, and with disappointments and frustrations that drove me to return the phone. I got my money back. That was the best part of dealing with the retailer. At the Tracfone homesite, there's the "threat" that returning the phone for refund in the first 30 days will cost $10 repackaging fee plus, of course, the return postage cost. In the 15 hours or so of entering the 15 numbers (until I caught on, I didn't realize that you can't enter residence, business and cellphone numbers for each person; it has to be done separately with distinctive IDs for each listing!); in the use over the 2 days I had to recharge the battery 3 times. And to top it, the manual is one of the worst cross-referenced, step-by step procedures I've ever encountered.
    So here I am seeking guidance for a service that is no-contract and low-cost. Verizon, because it's my local phone company and rapacious, is one I'd rather not use. And I had a really bad experience 3 years ago, with ATT cellular. They ripped me off. In anger I paid off the contract month by month without using the system. (That showed them, didn't it?!) But I arrived at that decision about 3 months after I started with ATT and tried to get them to relent and refund my money or at least cancel the contract
    That's my story of woe. Apologies for putting it here and imposing it on you but maybe some one or two among you can suggest a feasible course...?

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If there is Sprint pcs for $10 extra per month you can do a no contract plan.

Also let us know where you are located and we can help you further.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Irv

Irv New Member

Think I may have screwed up my response. At the risk of boring you while I'm learning the rudiments of responding to queries, my briefest response to yours, Jack: I'm a resident of NJ, in Hackensack, zip 07601.

5. Irv

Irv New Member

After e-mailed you yesterday, your reference to the $10 a month Sprint PCS plan intrigued me (since I could find no reference to it on their Website. Today I ventured to customer service and, slowly, oh so slowly, I managed to elicit the information that there is a $10/mo plan (for 50 minutes...more than enough for our needs). It requires a second instrument, and I can buy the phone either at one of the retail outlets (a Sprint PCS store, Circuit City, Best Buy, others nearby) or from the Sprint PCS site, where the rep I spoke with said to look at their promotional offers, which I shall probably do after I get this note off to you. Then, when I get the phone, I have to call the Sprint PCS customer service number, ask for the "Cancellation Dept," and proceed with activating the phone. The service rep wasn't too clear about how it works, and she couldn't explain why it would go through the Cancellation Dept but I'll find out.
    I am getting this off to you because there are undoubtedly other neophytes adrift in quandary, who may be helped by this info.
    So, in expectation that your suggestion is an acceptable solution, I am especially grateful to you for your responsiveness. Especially for the willingness you show--and others whose names show up with frequncy among the respondents.

6. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Glad that I could be of assistance to you.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...