Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple iPhone warning proves true

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by SteveW, Sep 28, 2007.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Apple iPhone warning proves true (BBC)

Last Updated: Friday, 28 September 2007, 09:38 GMT 10:38 UK

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

More...

SW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Oops. Apple designed something to cripple unlocked phones and apparently it is erasing data from phones that have not been modified.

Apple's new slogan should be "Now just like Microsoft!"

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    What do you mean just like Microsoft? This sounds a lot worse. Microsoft doesn't disable your Windows Mobile phone because you took it to another network.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well worse in the specific regard. Apple just prides itself as the anti-MS when they are just as bad, just in different ways.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Oh yeah, Apple is worse. Everything about their computers is proprietary so you have to go back to them for upgrades.

6. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Not to get into a religious war, but this is not as true as it used to be. Now Macs run on Intel processors (you can run native Windows on them if you want) and have standard Bluetooth, USB, Firewire. Internal drives are SATA, RAM is standard DDR2 SDRAM. They only have one very expandable computer (the Mac Pro) but it offers a choice of several NVIDIA or ATI graphics cards, 4 hard drive bays, 2 optical drive bays and 3 PCI Express slots. So there are lots of upgrades you can do yourself, if you have one of those.

Market research shows that most people don't ever upgrade their computers anyway, which is why Apple's biggest selling computers are not very upgradeable (although they do have build-to-order options). The OS and its updates, of course come from Apple, but MS is the same way. Which brings us back to the topic.

The editors on Macintouch pointed out that there is no small irony in Apple sending out an update to foil hackers:

SW

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I always upgrade. I have found that a few well chosen upgrades can add years to the life of a computer. Take the current system I'm using. Its a 4 year old Dell P4 2.2 ghz running Win XP professional. I just added 1 gig of ram to it last night bringing it up to 2.0 gig ram. (I was having low memory errors). This is a far cry from the system's original 256 mb. I can now multitask to my heart's delight without spending over $1,000 on a new computer.

My old system was upgraded several times. It started as a 350 mhz P3 running Windows 95 with 128 mb ram. By the time I retired it the system was about 7 years old and was a Celleron 1,000 overclocked to 1.5 Ghz running Windows Me with about 1 gig of ram.

I feel the only way to truly get your moneys worth out of a system is to upgrade. This past upgrade I added 1gb ram for about $60 on sale. The only other upgrade I might do for this system is maybe upgrade the processor if that upgrade gets cheap enough. Otherwise I'm set with this one till I get a new one, probably at least 2 years away.

My experience with MAC's in the past was that whatever you needed you had to buy it from Apple, limiting your choices, and making it expensive. I always thought you had more choices and could build a better system for less money going the PC route.

-Jay

8. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Proving that you are not most people. Most people don't even know what RAM, multitasking and overclocking are, much less how to install hardware and software upgrades on their machines. That's what keeps IT guys in business. ;)

There has always been a third party market for Mac hardware, but it was typically limited to expensive components like SCSI drives, non-standard RAM and graphics cards. Now those components are identical to their PC counterparts. Apple did this for several reasons, but one was to remove, insofar as possible, the price differential between its systems and competitive PCs. Most reviews of Apple consumer machines that I read these days report that price/performance compares very favorably with PCs.

However, if you are really building the computer yourself from components (rather than just specifying components on the Apple or Dell website), the PC is the only game in town. There simply isn't a true build-from-components market in the Apple world, where you buy motherboard A, processor B, case C, power supply Z, etc., all from different manufacturers.

It really depends on what you want. Personally, I always configure computers while buying them, never take the standard configurations. I only upgrade them sometimes and I like to have a manufacturer's warranty on the whole system, at least for a few years.

That's the other thing that Apple is pretty strict about - what you can and can't do without voiding the warranty. On the iPhone (remember the iPhone?) it's practically nothing. :D

SW

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well as bad as this may be they do have the right to do this IMO>

10. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    IMHO, for the price they are charging you should be allowed to take it to any carrier you want. I can just about guarantee the if Microsoft makes a Zune phone they won't try to stop people from using them on other networks.

At this point I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I am very anti-Apple and I'm ok with that. People complain about Microsoft, but at least you know exactly what you're dealing with. Microsoft does not try to pretend it is anything else but Microsoft. Apple likes to fancy themselves as the little guy stickin' it to the man, but I've got news for them. They are "the man" now.

-Jay

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I think this maybe the beginning of what could be a problem, I can see Microsoft doing the same thing next with WM phones if they are unlocked & not because it's a Microsoft worry, but a carrier desire.
    When you think about this, Apple only did this to protect their relationship with AT&T & their revenue income from AT&T, what's to say the carriers don't try to modify the UI on WM units to make it a specific carriers phone & they start getting in on the revenue stream.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    As much as it pains me to say this, I agree. All customers who purcahse an iPhone are aware of the restrictions upon them. They can either choose to get the phone or they can voice their displeasure by refusing to buy it. But the bottom line is, the customer knows the "rules" and therefore shouldn't be upset that they cannot play by them.

13. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Matt thank you, this is pretty much what I was trying to get at. I am not pro apple or microsoft both work well and have their flaws as well.

14. VT Blue

VT Blue New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    While I could be wrong, but it seems pretty clear that neither of you own a new Mac or any other Apple equipment. I respect your decision if that's the case.

However, for those of us who do, any comparisons between Cupertino and The Borg seems just a bit over the top. Apple's OS is phenomenal (especially Leopard, which I'm now using), the hardware has no equal in terms of ergonomics, quality, durability...no BSOD...and their service -- when you need it -- is fantastic. English is their native tongue, too, so I can actually understand them.

As for locking hackers out of the iPhone yes, it seems very un-Apple and those actions surprised me, as well. After pondering for a while I decided to cut them a little slack for the following reasons:
    1. They're entering an entirely new market to them
    2. They have a "partner" and a contract with that "partner" that outlines certain obligations, and
    3. They had the stones to break the current model/control that wireless companies hold. If this type of opportunity expands (not being beholden to a cell company's technology, pricing, etc for non-handset items), I'm all for it!

Now, does that absolve them of all things evil? Nope. I knew what I was signing up for and was okay with it from Day 1. That belief is partly built upon the thought that they'll open up iPhone for software development in the near future...Lockdown wasn't going to last forever. Remember, they are new to the industry segment and there will be some hiccups.

I encourage you to try any Apple gear. Pricey, yes, but worth every dime.

15. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I used to love Apple but now I really dislike them. When I first started learning about computers we used Macs... that was probably freshman year of high school. Wow, I'm old.

If you've ever read The Best Page In The Universe, Maddox has a brilliant article about the iPhone vs his Nokia E70. I'd post a link but it is extremely NSFW so I'll let those who want to find it on their own. I can't even post the title of the article here, but I laughed my tuchus off reading it because it's true. I feel similarly about the Motorola Q vs the iPhone but I'm not nearly as amusing as Maddox.

#15 MOTOhooligan, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  16. VT Blue

VT Blue New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Thanks, I'll Google the article. I've heard great things about that Nokia and may need a second phone for VT as AT&T doesn't have service up here and will bounce you from your network if too many calls originate on other people's towers.

Thx! Bob

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LOL, you're old because you used Mac's in high school?

In middle school we used Commodore 64's

In high school we had Apple II's with green monochrome monitors. The computer lab in high school also had one Atari 800 home computer, but we mostly used it for games.

-Jay

18. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, I was just thinking that I'm old because it's been a good 14-15 years since I've used a Macintosh.

LOL! We had Apple IIe computers when I was in elementary school. You're old.:lmao:

19. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Uh oh! :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• moto.jpg
      moto.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  20. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh man! What did I die of? Dysentery? I always used to die of dysentery when I played Oregon Trail.

(Awesome pic, by the way!)

21. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother

Hahah, It wouldn't let me put in MOTOhooligan.

You had your choice, some died early on of drowning (Tried to caulk the wagon but alas, it tipped).

I'm gonna assume you died from hunger considering I only bought one pound of food for five people :browani::browani:

22. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The PC was introduced in 1981 when I was in the 5th grade. The school didn't get computers until about 1984, and they were Commodore 64's. In high school (Graduated 1989) the classes were BASIC and PASCAL taught on Apple II's. They probably don't teach either of those classes anymore.

-Jay

PS - I'm not old, I'm only 36

23. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    I learned basic when I was in late elementary school. I graduated HS class of 2006. Elememtary school had PowerPC macs, and a basement full of Apple II's and so,e 386's. Elementary school went to Pentiums with win95 during 5th grade.

Middle school was PentiumII's with windows 95/98 with open area labs still 386's until 7th/8th grade.

High school in the early 2000's was still running 95/98 on some older machines and gradually moved to XP through the end of HS.

I cracked foolproof security back in 5th grade. By then the district was f-d, and I pretty much did as I pleased with any comp thereafter.

24. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    LOGO is where is at man, LOGO.

25. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know, I'm just giving you grief.

26. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    That is sweet!

I loved that game

27. rirwin

rirwin Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9h Global
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wireless from AT&T, Formerly Cingular
    man u guys are bringing up memories, sad thing is think back then when we was playing that, it was the best game, but i allways got screwed on pricing and what route i take, and yes i allways died go disteria too

28. rirwin

rirwin Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9h Global
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wireless from AT&T, Formerly Cingular
    haha foolproof sec, i rembered when the rolled that out to us in 99/00 dumbnuts left a 5 page "memmo"on all the new dell optiplex's they just bought that had all the pws to overide it, it was gone by the 2nd week of classes, if not for band camp, i would never of had the chance to print it out, they tried to do pw changes daily, but we locked them out of their own system after the first change, fairly funny, to walk into the office and see the secretary log on to the system, and her desktop change from the old school system logo, to some girl getting banged by a dog, or a list of the school's sluts, oh the memories.

29. 772Brandon772

772Brandon772 New Member

My Phone:
    Iphone, Audiovox SMT5600
    Damn, that stinks.

30. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is beginnig to look like the FTA game: hackers open up sat receivers and then sat providers send updates to shut them down. Then the cycle happens all over again. It's been like that for years.

By the way, the Oregon Trail reminds me of the first computer I used: Apple IIe.