Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple iPhone 6 (4.7") mini review

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Sep 21, 2014.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah Charlyee, so close! Don't do that.

My experience with att is that they notify you just the day or two before.

Besides the iPhone 6 is too nice!

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    This is all I have seen since the the last 3 weeks, pretty depressing if you ask me.
    [​IMG]

Ironically people who ordered last week are getting theirs this week - Death Star Fail :(

PS: I am sure the iPhone 6 is nice but I am not quite convinced that it's a must have. What I should have done was get my 5 repaired instead of upgrading to the 5s. Of course if I actually ever get the 6 in my hand, I may change my mind. ;)

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #32 charlyee, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Gosh that's awful. Seems like you need to reboot the order. What are Apple leads times these days.

How is it being sent? I was able to check with UPS days before ATT notified me that the order was in its way. Using UPS my choice. Even before I got a tracking number. Everyone was doing that.

4. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Apple's lead time is 7-14 business days for that device and the stores don't have it. There are quite a few of us in the same situation and not all on AT&T.

I am not sure how it is being sent, some are with UPS and some USPS.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    My step-daughter's was sent via FedEx and missed the estimated shipping window by a week, if it's of any relevance. FWIW, the order I placed for my wife's 6+ isn't scheduled to ship until late November :)

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The 6+ has ridiculous shipping window. Those that did a pre order still haven't seen theirs.

I remember it being generally crazy the launch week but not a month after. AT&T being totally incompetent doesn't help any either.

Hope this dang phone is worth all this frustration and not just a slightly larger 5s with curved sides.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

#36 charlyee, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I only know one guy with a 6+, he got it on VZW on the launch day. Can't really tell whether 6 is just a bigger 5S, 6+ is definitely NOT just a bigger 6 :) My wife liked the software capabilities of 6+ better than the 6.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, I do know a couple that got a 6 and a 6 plus on launch day. Unfortunately they upgraded from the 5 and not the 5s.

I have heard all kinds of good things about the 6+, hope she likes it.

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yeah, me too :) Hopefully it'll arrive in the next month and a half or two :)

charlyee likes this.
  10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Just in time for the holiday season. :D

11. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

12. Eileen89

Unfortunately, the wireless carrier is given a limited supply by Apple. Therefore Apple Store orders will always see faster shipping times than the wireless carriers. I would have ordered from Apple instead of Verizon but Apple.com does not give the option for the full retail price.

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I would've ordered a T-Mobile phone from Apple if I had any hope of selling my wife's iPhone 5 with a busted volume down button. AT&T is willing to give me $200 for it :)

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So I ordered from Att and Apple at 4 am on preorder day. Both arrived on launch day. I had to order one from Att because of Next.

But true Apple is your best bet.

Dmapr besides landscape mode on the 6+ what other software differences are there?

Btw while typing there is a landscape mode on the 6. It includes a left/right arrow among a few other things.

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    She spends a lot of time in email and the landscape email mode is what has sold her. I think there might be a few other landscape-enhanced apps but I wasn't paying a lot of attention.

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes I think you get an iPad view in email. Maybe all of iOS does this, but here is the keyboard on my 6

[​IMG]

17. Eileen89

I've been using the 6 for a while now and I think the biggest change in it over my iPhone 5S is the slightly larger screen size. In terms of processor speed, the 6 isn't that much faster than the 5S. No changes at all in LTE speeds. The camera is also a little better than the 5S as it is now faster to focus and lock in on a object. Low light pictures are slightly better than the 5 and 5S. The screen on the iPhone 6 itself is exactly the same as the 5S. Side by side I can see no differences at all over my 5S. I can say, though, the battery life in the iPhone 6 is better than my 5S by almost 2 to 3 hours. I never have to charge my iPhone every night now.....Although I haven't received my 6 Plus yet, I believer that is the true upgrade to the 5S. Apple should have just skipped the 4.7" screen and the 5.5" in favor of a 5" screen only. I really don't see why it was necessary for them to have two iPhones with 2 different screen sizes.

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    They want more of Galaxy Note line users. Note lovers aren't going to go for a 5" screen.

budney likes this.
  19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Eileen for the review, I have heard and read similar opinion going from the 5s to the 6 and some have even reverted back to the 5s

I may have gotten caught up in the hype and ordered the 6 without waiting for actual user reviews, I guess I will just have to find out if I made a mistake.

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well seems like Eileen should sell her 6 to Charlyee and use her 6+ when it arrives. Then everyone is happy.

Except for battery and screen size there is less difference between the 6 and 6+ then the 5S and 6.

People returning to the 5S, that's laughable. Can only be the general phone size.

21. Eileen89

I think that they "might" IF Apple would have made the bezel on the 6 Plus smaller in size.

22. Eileen89

I don't recall anywhere in my quote above saying that I was "unhappy" with my new iPhone 6. ;) I do like my 6 a lot, I simply don't see any huge changes between it and the 5S, ymmv.

Actually, from my own testing with the 5S and 6, the only big difference that I see is the size of the screen. The 5S and 6 both only have a 326ppi display, so no change there.

Also, there are more differences between the 6 and 6 Plus than the "size of the screen" and battery life. I've read on multiple forums from people that have actually used both of them that they prefer the 6 Plus over the 6 and the Plus was the real update to the 5S, not the 6. Feel free to disagree. I'll find out for myself in just a few weeks when I have a chance to test the 6 and 6 Plus out side by side. After playing with the 6 Plus at Apple and seeing the drop dead gorgeous screen on it, I already know which one is more than likely to be my daily driver.

According to this reviewer there wasn't an objective reason to upgrade from the 5S to the 6. The real upgrade would be for those coming from the 4, 4S, or the 5.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-6-vs-iphone-5s

#52 Eileen89, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I and most people disagree. Just look at the specs.

And the display is not the same.

#53 viewfly, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  24. Eileen89

Besides the added screen size, another nice thing about the 6 mini compared to my 5S is the battery life. All I can say is WOW! I can actually go almost 2 days on a full charge if I want. From what I hear the 6 Plus is even better, which is hard to imagine since I can already eek out about 13 hours of usage time on my 6. I did just update the 6 to iOS 8.1 so this could change a little.

[​IMG]

25. Eileen89

I have read what other people posted who upgraded to the 6 from the 5S, as well as reading all the comparison reviews between the 5S and the 6 and it seems like most of them are in agreement that there is not a huge difference between the 5S and the 6. Specs aside, after owning the 6 for a few weeks now, aside from the larger screen, better battery life and "slightly" better camera performance, there is not a big difference between the 5S and the and the 6. If it wasn't for the larger screen I honestly believe I would not have purchased the 6 this year. Or I would have tried it out and quickly returned it,YMMV.

#55 Eileen89, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I have to agree with you Eileen.

If it wasn't for the larger screen and the other 16 items in post#12, I would not have upgraded too. LOL

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/i...Phone-6-(4.7")-mini-review.83692/#post-578848

All seriousness aside, it's enough to say that a larger screen is a main reason some went to Android models. And the reason why many are going back to Apple models. It's enough of an upgrade to stand in its own. I found that the others reasons are equally good, especially the screen quality improvement ,NFC and form factor. Those are enough for me to upgrade.

#56 viewfly, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Eileen89 likes this.
  27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    As the patient said, I would never get glasses except that I can't read the newspaper anymore.

28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    What's a newspaper :)

All joking aside, I think it's very subjective (what does and what does not constitute a worthy upgrade). There are people who upgrade every year like clockwork. There are people who go years without upgrading. All of them have some idea of what makes the upgrade worth it to them and I would never expect them all to agree on those.

Eileen89 and viewfly like this.
  29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    So profound :D

30. Eileen89

I believe what dmapr posted above was very true and sums it up for all. It sounds like in your case going from the 5S to the 6 was a very good upgrade for you and I am happy that you are enjoying it. I do agree with much of what you posted in the link too. While I really do like my iPhone 6 I just feel as though maybe the 6 Plus will be a more suitable upgrade for me coming from my 5S. I won't know till I actually test it out for a week or so, though. I guess Apple got it right by creating 2 iPhone 6's this year. :)

#60 Eileen89, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    viewfly likes this.