Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple iPhone 6 (4.7") mini review

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Sep 21, 2014.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Day 2 - received my iPhone 6 last Friday via UPS.

Sometimes posting to WA is like shouting into a vacuum. Is anyone there? So, perhaps I write this post to collect my thoughts, for my own sake.

I like this newest iPhone. I LOVE this iPhone.

Actually, I'm downright GIDDY with excitment about this iPhone 6!

Some observations:

1. It is a thing of beauty to look at and hold. Curved sides like the old 3G, but lacking the curved plastic back and thickness.

The Apple case combination is perfect unity. The first time I didn't feel unhappy about a case.

2. The slightly curved glass edge on the front is very smooth looking. I'm glad that my Apple leather case has an open bottom, so it can be seen and felt. And you can see it curve into the leather edge as well.

3. The thinness (thinner than the 5) and curved sides make this larger iPhone fit and feel well in my hand. Even my smaller handed daughter loves hers. (I did talk her out of getting the 5.5", and she was happy that I did).

Without the case, it does have grip...again much more that that bar of soap called the 3G. With the thin leather case, it is just perfect.

And did I mention lightweight??? It is.

4.Touch screen. Seems very much faster, smoother, and more sensitive. It's more than buttery smooth, it is like creamy smooth.

And the fingerprint sensor response is better than my 5. Very accurate and faster.

5. Screen is HD retina, meaning still 326 ppi, but with 2x the contrast but still the natural color rendition that Apple is well known for. 800:1 vs 400:1 contrast. The screen is almost pitch black. My main reason for a larger screen is for view photos and this lives up to the expectations.

6. Camera. Panorama detail is amazing. Truly. Apple only improves the inside of this camera. The camera is fast and with 120 and 240 fps for slo-mo action. Lots of little things added (like self timer) that should have been there before. Of course that is an iOS 8 thing actually. The novel twin color led's are now in one housing. Not keen on the protruding lens ring, it's not much and the leather case makes it flush, so not an issue.

I could go on about iOS 8, but that should be kept separate.

7. Louder buzzer...good for these aging ears. Maybe too loud for the teenager in the home. Speaker holes are larger too.

8. Battery life. I don't know yet, but I'm expecting about 2 hours more from the reviews and specs. I'll have to give it time to evaluate. Certainly no less usage time observed.

9. Yes it is fast. With the A8 64 bit processor and faster speed, plus the new M8 motion coprocessor chip, things are moving faster, and with less power consumption. It is really great that Apple designs its own chips. Tight integration.

10. Fit and finish, is perfect Apple. very smooth and slick. Actually for a naked phone the iPhone 4 and 5 were too narrow to hold well. The naked iP6 is just perfect for me. And the case adds nothing to take away from that. The glass is just silky.

11. Waiting for the NFC chip and Health to become more fully active. Not so much the chip itself, that other smartphone have, but the clout that Apple used to get the majors to buy into this. Not good times for PayPal ahead.

This is what comes to my thoughts.

Overall, any fear that I had about being to 'big' to handle, is gone. The super thinness and curved edges make it extremely easy to hold and use. It is just downright sexy, and a nice design on top of the required rectangular slab we have come to expect. I like the HTC One and Moto X, and the iPhone 6 stands among them as a fine smartphone to hold.

Very happy, and yes this is the best iPhone to date.

[​IMG]

#1 viewfly, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    JFB, charlyee and dmapr like this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Re: Apple iPhone 6 (4.7") mini review

Thanks for writing it up!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for writing it up!

1 person likes this.
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah a voice in the blackness. You're welcome.

I see you got hit by the double posting bug too.

4. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yep, I've been getting it in one form or another since the same time you were.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nice write up! I am glad the edges are rounded now. My hands would cramp when I had my i5 from the square edges.

1 person likes this.
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nice review vf. Glad you are so happy with it. :)

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Say vf,

I keep reading in other forums that many who went to the 6 from the 5s are returning theirs and going back to the 5s.

They are thinking its not worth the update, and also like the compact size of the 5s.

What is your opinion? Was the upgrade worth it for you and why?

Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I'll give you my short answer, and maybe later a longer one.

Firstly, Really? I look at MacRumors every day and I have not run across anyone running back to the 5S. It is all good news for the upgrade to the 6.

So my short opinion? This is the BEST upgrade I have done with Apple's iPhones. Seriously. Why?

I think a major factor is the form factor and slimness of the device, with Apple's leather case on. It's width and thickness fits into my hand like a Ferrari. I think the curved sides (with the flat back) have a lot to do with that feeling. Regardless of screen size, it just fits more naturally than the 5S.

I have never been so happy with a case/phone combination, that I have little interest going naked...something that I've been very torn with over the years with other phones.

Thirdly, the new HD Retina screen is just gorgeous, as is the touch sensitivity or smoothness of the screen, along with the speed and increased accuracy of the Touch ID. I think they worked on this because of its importance of the upcoming Apple Pay. The screen has a deeper black and higher contrast while maintaining the natural tone.

The screen size increase is a factor, but not a major one. It is very useful however when viewing photos.

So in sum, the 4.7" is a larger phone, but it doesn't feel any larger than my 5S with the Spigen case on. I gave measurements on that in a previous forum.

There is a lot more to say about the insides of this phone...I save that for later...but I sure do not wish to miss out on the Apple Pay feature or future integration of the Apple watch.

The camera is greatly improved, especially in the pano mode, which I find myself using quite a bit.

I can compile a list, but not for a few days.

So that is the short answer. Never had an iota of thought to move backwards. Again on the size, it really is close to the same width as the 5S with case on...well it feels that way, only the height is noticeable.

Fits into my front pants pocket just fine too.

Curious to get one?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the longer volume buttons are very natural. As is the side power switch. A great placement on the side.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the longer volume buttons are very natural. As is the side power switch. A great placement on the side.

2 people like this.
  9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Vf,

I don't visit MacRumors that often but there are multiple threads on iMore about it.

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm confused, Charlyee. I just went over to iMore and I only see multiple threads of people gushing with love over the iPhone 6! Most with the same thoughts I gave above.

There is one thread about one person that has hardware problems. But no string of threads from people running to return or downgrade to the 5S. ???

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    There are two other distinct threads on it and many other individual posts in the "gushing" threads.

They are there trust me, no one said they are going back to the 5s because the 6 was a bad phone, but basically said the biggest change is the hardware and they like the 5s hardware better.

The speed changes and better battery wasn't that big and not enough for them. Also if paying with your phone wasn't important then the upgrade wasn't worth it.

I have a good friend who upgraded from the 5 but don't know any that has upgraded from the 5s yet, so I was interested in your opinion that's all. :)

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I combed through the Apple pages and compiled a list of hardware changes in the iPhone 6 ( 4.7"). Not an easy thing to do, btw. I think I got them all.

1. Thinner phone. 6.9 mm, thinner than the 5 or 5S
    2. 50% more battery efficient A8 64 bit chip. Using 20 nm technology it has an increased speed over the A7 found in the 5S.
    3. New M8 coprocessor chip as well.
    4. Includes Barometer to measure pressure. useful for altitude changes for exercise measurements
    5.New HD Retina display. 2x the contrast 1334x 750 pixels at 326 ppi.
    Dual domain pixels give a wider field of angular view with edge to edge true color and brightness. Improved screen polarizer gives better performance with sunglasses and deeper blacks
    8. Camera has 1.5 um pixels for 81% more light capture. f2.2 lens. HD video at 1080p has slo mo @ 60 fps and 240fps @ 780p. Focus pixels for faster focusing and Time Lapse videos up to 30 hours. Burst mode for 10 photos per second.
    9. Faster LTE up to 150 Mbps and 7 more LTE bands for a total up to 20.
    10 VoLTE capable
    11. 3x faster WiFI using 802.11ac over 802.11n
    12.Bluetooth LE
    13. NFC
    14. Heath monitoring package.
    15. improvements in the Touch ID hardware, coupled with iOS 8. Touch ID to be used for NFC Apple Pay (linked to major banks and Visa, Mastercard Amex) for enhance security.

16. and of course iOS 8.

#12 viewfly, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    1 person likes this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks so much Vf for all your hard work.

Actually l was more looking for your personal experience after using it for a week not what Apple publishes.

For example "2. 50% more battery efficient A8 64 bit chip", are you finding your battery to last that much longer? The rated usage time is 10 hours for the 5s and 11 for the 6, that's a 10% increase and probably not that noticeable.

I guess I will find for my myself when I get mine, scheduled to be shipped 10/13-10/22 :D

#14 charlyee, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Actually I was planning on doing this before your question, for my own sake. People would ask me what is new, and I wanted to list it out for myself.

On the A8 chip power consumption. The chip by itself is 50% more efficient. However, adding in the increased screen size, the thinner body and the non proportional increase in the battery size (a bit undersized compared to what it could be), so far I found the battery life the same as my 5S. That may change as tweak the system. There are new things like widgets, etc, that may be using battery life that I have not figured out yet.

So If I dig somewhere, I can find a quote that said you were going to wait on the iPhone 6. Or are you getting it and planning to return in the 14 day window? You do, already have the 4.7" Moto X.

Regardless, enjoy! Are you ordering an Apple case to match???

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I was planning on doing this before your question, for my own sake. People would ask me what is new, and I wanted to list it out for myself.

On the A8 chip power consumption. The chip by itself is 50% more efficient. However, adding in the increased screen size, the thinner body and the non proportional increase in the battery size (a bit undersized compared to what it could be), so far I found the battery life the same as my 5S. That may change as tweak the system. There are new things like widgets, etc, that may be using battery life that I have not figured out yet.

So If I dig somewhere, I can find a quote that said you were going to wait on the iPhone 6. Or are you getting it and planning to return in the 14 day window? You do, already have the 4.7" Moto X.

Regardless, enjoy! Are you ordering an Apple case to match???

1 person likes this.
  16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

ah! You didn't find my other quote that said "I lied" :D

I plan to keep it and of course I am going to guess an Apple leather case for it, probably the midnight blue but I need to see the color in person first.

PS: I just got this iMessage from my friend, any suggestions?

"I have two problems with my devices. The iPhone 6 pairs with the bluetooth in both of our Jeeps, but call audio isn’t routed to them. The head unit sees that they are on a call, but doesn’t pass the audio.

On my iPad, the messages list goes below the keyboard. Rotating to portrait and back to landscape fixes it."

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS

A similar thing is happening to my wife's iPhone 5 in Words With Friends. Don't think WWF supports landscape mode.

1 person likes this.
  18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It may be ios8. I have a similar situation in my car too the received call audio goes to the phone not the car system. My wife works okay. Haven't had time to inquire. Car forums were complaining too.

Music is fine though.

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The midnight blue is nearly black in room light.

Looks good though in the white phone

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Battery life. After doing a 'Reset All Settings' to restore BT for the car, my battery life shot up.

At first it looked like I would hit 13hours. Now maybe 11. For me that's an improvement.

Lots of BT with Pandora.

Weak ATT here:

Yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My projected battery life. Heaving on wifi and LTE streaming. With Bluetooth to JamBox.

[​IMG]

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I typically get around 11 with a mix of LTE and wifi. AT&T is very good around here so that helps.

So if the 6 gives another hour or two that's better yet.

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    When is your iPhone 6 arriving, Charlyee?

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Scheduled to be shipped 10/13-10/21, that's all the information I have.

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    So I called Death Star this morning and wanted to know how come people who ordered last week already have a tracking number and my status hasn't changed since 9/23.

She said it depends on where you are and luck, when people cancel others are moved up depending on where they are.

Huh! You have got to be kidding, isn't it first come first served if the device ordered is the same.

For sure I am not taking this route next time, I was in a bit of a hurry to get one since I wanted to put my 5s on sell before the Holiday Season and I will be unavailable from November end, not worth it.

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    One never knows with ATT. Can't trust their delivery times vs Apple.

However they did a good job at launch. Both orders from ATT and Apple came in a week

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, the reset all settings supposedly has a bug that might delete all iCloud documents and settings.

What is your take on that?

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I didn't lose any docs in the iCloud. Wasn't that about the iCloud Drive?

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I never turned on the new iOS 8 iCloud Drive. But still use the old iCloud for Pages docs, photos, etc. nothing lost.

30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Well I am at the end of day 2 of my shipping window and 3 weeks since I ordered. There hasn't been any change in status since the day I ordered it.

I am toying with the idea of canceling my order and staying with my 3 month old unlocked 5s if there is no action within the shipping window.