Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple has bend-able iPhones

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by KevinJames, Sep 23, 2014.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    What people don't realize about this iPhone 6 plus (5.5" ) story is that it is a clever feature. The phone molds itself to your personal butt cheek. Each one is individual. Like a fingerprint to separate you from all the millions of other phones. :)

This has actually happened to a few people only but gets lots of coverage. I read similar stories on the HTC one. It actually take a bit of force and always near the side volume buttons where there is least metal. But the phone keeps working. And the glass doesn't crack.

A 5.5 " is a big aluminum device for a back skinny jean pocket and then sitting on it seems foolish. Plastic can deform better and return, but not the parts inside. At least place it in volume button up. In Manhattan that phone would be stolen.

I guess my cargo pants would be the place to have that large phone. Right dmapr?

Similar stories surfaced with the smaller iPhone 5 and 5S after launch and then died down. Again a few reports only. My wife never had problem with it. Some accuse Samsung of planting these forum stories. It does take a lot of applied force.

3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well that's funny. They pre-bent it!

5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    viewfly is absolutely right, that phone ought to go into the cargo pants pocket :) Or a purse. Or an arm band. Or somewhere else where it's kept flat (I don't buy the stories of it bending in the front shirt pocket). But never in the back pocket!

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think the bottom line with this story is don't treat your smartphones like a dollar store toy. Under normal usage the 6+ should be fine. I always cringe when I see people with their smartphones in their pockets. Not only can they break from the stress caused by being in a pocket, they can get water damage from sweat, and malfunction from the combination of body heat, battery heat, and outside temperature. I have actually experienced the later.

7. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    1 person likes this.
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This is the story that started all the criticism. Question: who would have a brand new iPhone Plus and leave it in your pocket for 4 hours of driving? I'd be staring at it on the console and using it. Lol

Some have phones for two years that are brand new looking; others have an abused phone after one month.

The suspicious posters are newbies with 1 post that joined the same day.

I know that it could happen, but...

A friend bend his car roof with too much weight in his roof rack. It happens. Use common sense. And an appropriate carrying method. A phone is meant for using not sitting on just like an expensive silverware.

But then again I can bend spoons only using my mind...:)

9. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I can see Apple taking a page from the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" playbook:

1-Deny it
    2-Release some videos showing bent Nokia phones and say "it happens to everyone", then release guides on how you should hold and carry your phone ("..you carry your phone in your POCKET? That's a no-no...")
    3-Show their extensive test-labs to prove that they couldn't possibly have any design flaws in their phones
    4-Free cases for everyone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #9 RadioRaiders, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    According to other posters observations there have been only 1 or maybe 4 iPhones 6 pluses that have bent. It's unclear but the same photos have been circulating the web or been posted. And one of them was done deliberately for a video.

Out of 10 million iPhones. I doubt Apple or any company would respond to that. Other than do a warranty replacement. Remember this is a 6 plus phablet story too. No bent iPhone 6's have been reported.

#10 viewfly, Sep 25, 2014
  11. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah, the Trolls come out and will have a field day with this 6+. As will Samsung. Unfortunately it does nothing to address the likelihood of a bent iPhone 6+ under normal usage for most people.

Here is the same guy testing the iPhone 6, HTC, Moto X and Nokia.

Nothing much happens on all of them (with a lot of force).

[video=youtube_share;IROcoJeVfSI]http://youtu.be/IROcoJeVfSI[/video]

13. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    To be fair, look at his thumbs. He's applying a hell of a lot of pressure – more than any sane individual will ever do to a non-rugged device.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, look at his thumbs. He's applying a hell of a lot of pressure – more than any sane individual will ever do to a non-rugged device.

2 people like this.
  14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Apple came out with an official statement this afternoon: Only 9 customers (out of 10 Million) have registered a complaint about the iPhone 6+ bending.

This will blow away into the fog of history, as a non issue, IMO..

Actually, remembering the nasty antics when Samsung tried to surpass the Japanese manufacturers of TV (Sony, Panasonic, etc) I wouldn't put it pass them to collect some iPhones and beat the hell out of them to find some flaw to create a 'gate'. And then pay some guys to plant, tweet some stories. After all the 5.5" model in particular could be a Samsung killer, especially in Asia.

I mean that is abnormal pressure applied to a phone. Regardless, I don't consider this 5.5" + phablets to be 'pocket' phones, but more briefcase devices or coupled to a smart watch. Unless your wardrobe is mainly cargo pants for guys. The 4.7" iPhone 6b is just perfect for me.

15. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    True, but it is a "stress-test" to see how the structural integrity holds up. Sitting down with a large phone in your pocket puts a pretty big strain on it as well.

All 10 million people already have got their phones? I thought alot were pre-orders :confused: In any case, I think the "cracks" will come out in extended daily use. I guess all 10 million people won't sit on their phones the first day they get them (aside from YouTube bloggers). Speaking of which, kinda funny how with Antennagate and Bendgate that bloggers seem to have managed to find obvious flaws in just a day than Apple didn't manage in months of testing :p

- - - Updated - - -

True, but it is a "stress-test" to see how the structural integrity holds up. Sitting down with a large phone in your pocket puts a pretty big strain on it as well.

All 10 million people already have got their phones? I thought alot were pre-orders :confused: In any case, I think the "cracks" will come out in extended daily use. I guess all 10 million people won't sit on their phones the first day they get them (aside from YouTube bloggers). Speaking of which, kinda funny how with Antennagate and Bendgate that bloggers seem to have managed to find obvious flaws in just a day than Apple didn't manage in months of testing :p

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Because you are such a mechanical expert on lifetime stress tests, RR? :big grin:

Yep, all 10 million are phones sold and delivered or picked up on launch day.

17. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    To be fair, I actually did post on another site that the so-called "scientific" bend tests were anything but scientific. Both the manufacturers and some carriers have their own truly scientific pressure and torque tests. Those are what should be used to measure the breaking point. I am wondering if Apple knew about this weakness before marketing the phones and perhaps felt that it met reasonable expectations of use. If so, BIG mistake.

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It certainly is a big Public Relations mistake to have your new phone appear weaker than a competitor, even if the absolute bending stress is above any value that one would expect to experience in real life situations. If indeed, the 'bend rate' remains at a value of 9: 10,000,000, this whole episode will disappear except for Samsung advertising gimmicks.

There is something fishy about all this though. So if the video above on the 6+ is unscientific, it does show some level of stress required to do this...and I can't imagine a reasonable situation (where a person would think, maybe this is too much stress...i.e. it would hurt in his pants), that would cause the bending from the front pocket of someones pants.

I think something is rotten in Denmark with this consumer bent phones.

Anyhow, another reason why I'm happy to have the iPhone 6!!! :)

#18 viewfly, Sep 25, 2014
  19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  20. arammeia

arammeia Member

I guess my cargo pants would be the place to have that large phone. Right dmapr?