Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple gets $831 for each iPhone???

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by charlyee, Oct 29, 2007.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The $831 iPhone:

Apple doesn’t chat too much about the iPhone service fees AT&T shares with it. But the good folks at the Financial Accounting Standards Board (who make rules for how companies keep their books) have forced it to give us some clues. The accountants say that if someone promises to pay you money in the future (as AT&T does for each iPhone activated), you have to report this “deferred revenue” to investors.

All this makes Apple’s financial statement into a rather complex algebra problem. Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, has tried to do the math.

His bottom line is rather shocking: AT&T appears to be paying $18 a month, on average, to Apple for each iPhone activated on its network. That adds up to $432 over a two year contract. In other words, Apple will receive $831 for each iPhone it sells. (It’s a little less for iPhones sold in AT&T stores.) He can’t tell, of course, what makes up that average. Apple may, for example, receive higher payments for customers new to AT&T or those who buy more expensive monthly plans.

Mr. Munster says he was surprised by the numbers. He previously had estimated that Apple received $6.50 a month from AT&T. A carrier will typically subsidize the price of a high-end phone by about $200, he says. With the iPhone, AT&T is spreading the payments out over time, but ultimately putting up twice the typical amount.

Continued:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Of course Apple also gets additional fees from consumers when the glued in battery needs to be replaced by Apple.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Whoa....I figured AT&T is paying Apple quite a bit, but it's nice to actually see a number.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That makes me sick wow that is a staggering number

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is amazing how much they are getting.

I guess with stuff like this I can see why we will never see data or other prices go down & i can see prices going up, especially if other device manufactures starting to go with this plan & making it worst for all of us.

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Don't forget that thaty are locked into using media files supplied by Apple. How much iTunes revenue does an iPhone generate in 2 years?

-Jay

7. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    whoa, no kidding way too much.:eek:

8. skystartrade.com

that is too much

$80 per month on iphone

#8 skystartrade.com, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008