Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Anyone with analog service please Read my situation!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone have an analog service plan still in service in the Ny long island area? I would be greatfull if your thinking of cancelling it i would like to transfer it to me the plan and evrything. Meaning i would be paying now. Becuase i bought a new car witha factory phone and its a great BMW model with great fuctions some better then todays phones. But you can buy anlog sevice in my area anymore, only existing customers can use the anlog services. Wich i see odd since the Network is sitll up. I dont think digital is much better, so if anypones out theere with anlog service please let me know. Thank you very much.[​IMG]

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

I have an old Verizon (Bell Atlantic Moble) phone, well not that old, three years old. There is an internal setting where you can have the phone only connect to analog towers. This is disconnected but you should not have a problem getting it connected with Verizon.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Replying to my orignal post:

Yes but i need an all analog plan cause the phone i sa car phone (by BMW if this helps prob a motorola but dosent say) and is only able to operate on analog networks.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

you can sign with any of the companies that offer "dual band" service. for instance, i have a work phone through verizon and a personal phone through cingular. if i am out of range of a digital tower i will still get an anolog signal (the phone will switch automatically). in your case, the phone will simply use the analog service provided (there should be more analog sites than digital in most areas).

5. jason

jason Member

I think his problem is more with having a phone that a carrier will activate. I think those older BMW phones are essentially part of the car itself and that you can't simply swap out an old phone for a new one.

My advice to you would be to go to a BMW dealer who will probably first try to sell you a costly upgrade to their modified digital capable StarTac, but probably has had experience with situations like yours and will direct you as to where to go.

You won't be able to "change plans" with another analog user - you'd need to get your BMW phone reprogrammed with the correct ESN/MIN pair which I presume can't be done at home.

As to why analog is being phased out:

1) Security issues: Analog phones can be "cloned" much easier than can be digital ones. Fraud costs cellular providers big bucks. Digital goes a long way in stopping it.

2) Spectrum efficiency: by digitizing voice information, you can simply fit a lot more conversations within the same amount of bandwidth.

jason

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone know about BMW phones I have A 1998 BMW 740i and its a standerd factory carphone. Does anyone have expertise in this field or know a certain star code to get the ESN # causes its not on teh phone or transervier?

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Kevin will correct me if im wrong but I think what you should try is dialing 611 or *611 from the cell phone and it should take you to the prefered carrior's customer service and tell them that you are looking to get your car phone activated and see what they can do for you.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Oh boy, am I developing a bad habit? Sorry. I really do try very hard to respect all people and their opinions.

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Kevin,

I just meant that you are the wireless king and you would correct me if I made a mistake.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    thanks Jack. I appreciate your kind words. Really though, all the regulars here have made Wireless Advisor a helpful and friendly place.

I want to sing the praises of all you.... (in no special order)

you, Jack
    Larry Thomas
    WorldComTom
    Rich
    Leah (where are you? we miss you.)
    dobby10
    TNDan21
    erub
    Kenny

(did I miss anyone?)

It is an absolute pleasure "working" with all of you, even when we disagree.
    [​IMG]

11. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Are CellguyNY and Diverdown still around??