Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Anyone from So. Cal area been seeing Alltel commercials on TV?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, May 18, 2006.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Are you implying that Alltel might acquire licenses here? Oh boy it would take them years to build a network from scratch here. It would be like 2011 unless they do a network sharing deal with Verizon or Sprint. But that's unlikely.

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    If Alltel did have any plans to do this, they might want to talk to MetroPCS...I still don't know how Metro is going to make a difference in this market with all of the other entrenched carries being far superior in coverage and reliability.

Cheap plans are meaningless with cheap service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Maybe.

They need major metropolitan markets to be a true national player. Something like that, I think, is why they sold themselves to private equity firms. Get the money from them now and go public again for a profit ten years down the line with major improvements in coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Yeah, T-Mobile gets away with advertising here in the Carolinas.

The only places in SC with T-Mobile coverage are Hilton Head & the SC side of the Augusta area
    (part of the Savannah/Augusta market).

The only places in NC with T-Mobile coverage are Elizabeth City & parts of the Outter Banks
    (under the VA Beach market).

The only T-Mobile stuff for sale here in the Carolinas is "T-Mobile To Go" prepaid cards.
    Why sell them, when it'll just be roaming on SunCom or AT&T?

Also,
    Something advertised in NJ/NYC is also starting to be advertised here in SC. It's "Empire Today" Carpets, with that 800-588-2300 jingle.
    I've called to see if its really available here, but i get this error message:
    "You have dialed a number that is not available from your calling area"

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Right and Alltel would have even a tougher time building a network here than Metro PCS did because Metro has literally snapped up all of the towers with co-location spots left on them. Most towers are maxed around here now and Alltel would have to look long and hard to find available places for their antennas.

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Not only that but we don't need another carrier here. It's crowded enough as it is.

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You know I disagree- I would welcome any new carrier to any area as long as they bring competition to the area, and, maybe eventually an alternative choice to the big national carriers. I honestly wish I could sign up with a smaller carrier like ALLTEL or U.S. Cellular where I am. I would much rather give my $$$ to them than the ever growing larger and larger firms that could care less about their tens of millions of customers.

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I need to clarify what I said. For the sake of competition and value, yes I would agree with you on this, but in the Los Angeles area, the need for another cell carrier is as necessary as a hole in the head. There are plenty of prepaid and MVNO's available for the L.A. area dollar. We don't need MetroPCS. Why they are bothering at this late stage of the game is beyond me.

We have 14 area codes serving the Los Angeles market, with numbers 15 and 16 being threatened to be implemented. Just what we need is another carrier to hog numbers. There is far too much to choose from here as it is (carrier-wise).

Maybe in Utah it would be good to add another terrestrial carrier, but in Greater L.A., it's a waste of time (and money).

9. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Then, at least, people could sign up with Alltel in LA and stop complaining about seeing their commercials but not being able to get their service.:rotfl: