Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Anyone from So. Cal area been seeing Alltel commercials on TV?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, May 18, 2006.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For about the past week or two I've been seeing Alltel commercials (the new campaign where they make fun of the other 3 carriers by having lookalikes of the others characters). But since we don't have Alltel in Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire and most of the entire state I'm wondering if this is some sort of major screw-up. It's a waste of airtime to advertise Alltel here when the people watching can't even buy their phones or service.

2. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Larry,

What TV Channel? I watch a lot of TV but have not seen these commercials.

3. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have Time Warner cable and they play on Spike TV and other stations. Everyone else I've asked around here hasn't seen them. It's weird.

4. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I don't live in an Alltel area, but did see the commercial once, on some satellite (cable) channel. Alltel is just advertising on Nationally available cable/satellite channels, as well as local channels in its markets. I assume they are getting decent advertising rates, and the National cable channels can't (or don't) provide the capability to limit advertisements to specific areas.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can't say for sure that I've seen the commercials on a regular channel as well but thought I did. It is a complete waste of airtime and money for a cable station to play a commercial in an area where the audience can't buy that product. I don't believe they don't have the capability to make limits on specific areas. More than likely it was a goof up.

About 2 years ago the same thing happened here when all of a sudden Cellular One commercials started playing here. Cell One is nowhere to be found in So. Cal. They played for about a week and then completely stopped as though they knew they goofed.

6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Alltel (formerly CellularONE) has service in the Bishop/Mammoth Lakes area, maybe it's related to that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yep I know but that's like a 5 hour drive from here. Plus they don't brand it Alltel there. They still call it Cellular One. So I don't think so.

8. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I've been seeing the same spot (for "My Circle", featuring Alltel register drone, Sprint's SpyGuy, "Catherine Zeta-Jones", "Can You Hear Me Now Guy", and "Orange Splat") here in NJ, where there's obviously no Alltel service. Since I've only seen the ad on cable (Comedy Central, Discovery, USA and Cartoon Network come to mind), I came to the conclusion that it was a national ad buy - similar to the "Bread is Back" campagign Jack In The Box has been running for a few months, and all of Sonic's ad buys for years. (Sonic has no locations in the northeast, since they can't operate drive-ins year-round. But goddamn those commercials make me crave their cherry limeade.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Did you see it on Spike TV or another channel? I saw it again last night. What's weird about this is the fact that many if not most people here in the So. Cal have never even heard of Alltel. So it makes no sense to play a commercial that everyone has to say Alltel?...who's Alltel"?

10. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It makes a little sense... name recognition for possible future service in that area, or if people move to an Alltel area they might remember the commercial.

I'm not saying it makes total sense, just that if they bought a national ad those are some positives to advertising in areas that Alltel doesn't have service.

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In this case Alltel will never have service in this market. They don't own any licenses and even if they did they could never build a network from scratch here. But I suppose if people move to an area served by them they might remember the name.

12. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I saw the ALLTEL ad here on Friday as well. I have to admit I kind of like it even though it's really strange that it airs in areas ALLTEL doens't provide service in. I guess area-coverage wise they have the largest network in Utah.

13. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I doubt I saw the ad on Spike, as I'm pretty sure I haven't watched Spike since the WWE went back to USA Network.

Interestingly, I saw the ad again yesterday, but this time it ran with a disclaimer replacing the first 5 seconds of the ad, indicating that the SpyGuy, CYHMN? Guy and CZ-J were all lookalikes.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm still watching Spike because of the UFC shows. :)

Those lookalikes almost look exactly like the real people! They did a good job on those!

15. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
    I use to work in the media field, and yes most ads are placed by agencies as a national buy. Now that most cable and satellite channels are syndicated and sent via satellite feed to local cable companies, you will find on occasion an out of local market ad.

This can happen for a couple reasons..

The national ad buy requires specific placing within a specific show. This type of buy is costly but insures they are not booted by locality direct cable ads.

Or the local cable company left the national ad in as a filler. This happens when thier local sales drop below norm and they choose not to use repetative local ads for fillers.
    O

16. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Larry, I saw the new Alltel ad on TBS today. It is a national commercial. It is like those darn Sonic commercials, which kill me because there is only one location in all of Southern California!!:mad:

I do find it hard to take Alltel seriously because they don't have a true national presence like the big 4. So while their ads are funny, it's really irrelevant in Southern Cal.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Alltel is wasting their money playing commercials in a market where they have no presence. They have no business playing national commercials because they are not a true national carrier. They don't even cover most major markets on the East Coast or West Coast.

By the way the commericals play on Spike TV every time the UFC Ultimate Fighter or Unleashed is on. So anyone who wants to see them just watch Spike TV on Monday or Thursday nights.

So there's only 1 Sonic location in So. Cal?? Is that the one I go to in Fullerton?

18. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Now come on. It's probably just as cost effective for them to buy space on tbs and spike as it would be to go to every cable operator they cover (and their native footprint is huge) and buy space. I guess Sprint better make sure none of their commercials ever get seen in Montana. Or Cingular here. Or Verizon in east oregon.

19. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Geez - is it me, or is there a real funny echo in here? =)

In related news, Sprint is running a new A900 commercial with a funny twist. Two guys are in a locker room comparing the features of their Sprint phones - "Mine has TV", "mine has e-mail" and so forth. Finally, the second guy says "Mine has 'theft deterrent'." The first guy is puzzled, so he's challenged by the second guy to try and take his wallet. First guy starts into all kinds of odd fake-karate moves, and the second guy just hurls his phone at first guy's head.

Sure, it's not a real feature, but it's a funny commercial, because you don't see the punchline coming - you expect it to be a CGI electroshock or something, not one guy coldcocking another guy with a phone.

20. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I almost fell on the floor laughing at this commercial, and everytime I have seen it I crack up.
    Especially when he throws it at the guys head the 2nd time.

21. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That only works if you're using a MicroTAC or DynaTAC... do you think a RAZR or A900 will hurt if you hit someone with it? Heck no! They'll pick it up and run away, and all you've done is lose an expensive phone.

22. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Alltel does have a network in Southern California, but I do agree out of market for the LA area.

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    And where is that? The Salton Sea or something? :D That doesn't count

24. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here is the latest map from Alltel of their licensed areas.

[​IMG]

25. inquirer22

inquirer22 Junior Member

Actually that is an old map. I don't know why they don't update all their maps. Personally, I think their mapping department is either lazy or incompetent. I wrote them, but then they only updated some if their maps. If you would have copied the NON-enlarged map it would be up to date. The map you saw is missing the big chunk of Idaho that they got in a swap with US Cellular. It is also missing the pending licenses in Iowa, Minessota, & Wisconsin from Mid-West. It is also missing southern Illinois that they just got. Plus there are a few counties in in northern VA that they got. Their individual state maps are all updated except for Idaho.

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/news_information/images/uswlssmap.jpg

I really don't understand why people are criticizing the commercials. We get commercials from the supposed national companies: Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, & T-mobile. They really shouldn't be called national as much as urban and major roads. If it weren't for Alltel coverage, My phone would only suffice for a paper weight when I go out to the western half of my state.

26. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as I know Alltel still uses the Cellular One brand name in the small parts of CA where they do offer service.

27. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Even so, Imperial County is part of the Yuma, AZ Market, so in a way, Alltel's presence in SoCal isn't really a presence. Considering there are only a about 150,000 residents in Imperial County versus over 20 million in the other 9 counties that make up Southern California, Alltel in practically non-existent here.

As for Inyo, Mono, and Alpine Counties, they are part of the Reno, NV Market. Again CA counties that are part of a market in another state. Also, the populations of these counties are as minute as Imperial. No major market presence in this state.

28. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR

The samsung A920 is a pretty hefty phone... and just may do the trick...lol:D

29. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am surpized at over 150,000 living in the Imperial Valley :cycle:. I was thinking more around 110k~120k. For TV they are the same market. They are different license for Cellular and BTA and MTA.

I have lived in both El Centro and Calexico for a few months as well as San Ysidro (San Diego). I was in El Centro when Sprint came to the Imperial Valley and all the hype it had. Most people had Airtouch pagers (even agentHibby reverted to a pager because of no Airtouch Cellular service).

A question?
    Do you count US Cellular's network in Ukiah and Eureka as CA or more Oregon since USCC covers all of rural OR??

30. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It would depend which market those places are actually a part of. Eureka has its own media market, but I don't know about cellular. It just happens to be that Alltel's CA properties are in counties that are part of neighboring state's markets.

I'm curious about the answer to your question as well...:headscrat

Anybody else have an idea??